I want Semien but we have a bigger need

Colome's Hat

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

On the rare occasion that he is healthy and after the corner OFs cost the pitcher some earned runs. 

If you have approximately 75 million available to have top-line signings for RF, 2nd  base, and SP...go sign Conforto or whoever you think is this dream player for RF.  Those of us who what the Vaughn/Sheets/Engel right field combo in order to use the available money elsewhere are living in the real world IMO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If you have approximately 75 million available to have top-line signings for RF, 2nd  base, and SP...go sign Conforto or whoever you think is this dream player for RF.  Those of us who what the Vaughn/Sheets/Engel right field combo in order to use the available money elsewhere are living in the real world IMO.

$75 million to add to current payroll for JUST 2022 or IN TOTAL for "new" FA or added contract dollars stretching until 2025/26/27?

Because some of the projections here have us adding $300-350, even $400 million in NEW spending (and that's with Kimbrel and even Keuchel subtracted.)

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

$75 million to add to current payroll for JUST 2022 or IN TOTAL for "new" FA or added contract dollars stretching until 2025/26/27?

Because some of the projections here have us adding $300-350, even $400 million in NEW spending (and that's with Kimbrel and even Keuchel subtracted.)

He’s saying that some are projecting adding 75M to 2022 salary and is affirming that’s unrealistic.

He‘s then advocating an in house solution in right to address the rotation and second base with expenditures at a realistic level for 22.

If you re-read his post, you’ll see it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

He’s saying that some are projecting adding 75M to 2022 salary and is affirming that’s unrealistic.

He‘s then advocating an in house solution in right to address the rotation and second base with expenditures at a realistic level for 22.

If you re-read his post, you’ll see it.

Thanks for the clarification.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, poppysox said:

Vaughn/Sheets/Engel in RF and Vaughn/Sheets/Grandal/Eloy/Abreu as DH by committee.  Use available resources on 2nd base and pitching.  

Eloy in LF and Vaughn/Sheets in RF would be one of the worst OF defenses  in the majors.  They might give up as many runs as they produce.  And banking on Engel playing regularly after last season seems unwise.  Sox can and should do better in RF. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Eloy in LF and Vaughn/Sheets in RF would be one of the worst OF defenses  in the majors.  They might give up as many runs as they produce.  And banking on Engel playing regularly after last season seems unwise.  Sox can and should do better in RF. 

If they’re insistent on this option, maybe adding an Odubel Herrera to a rotation so that there’s some depth? He’s been a decent CF and bats lefty, hasn’t spent much time at the corners but that could be his role going forward.

17 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Do we have a 2nd baseman?  Do we have satisfactory pitching both starting and relief?  Do we have a solid defensive catcher?  If the answer to my questions is yes...sure let's get a high-grade right fielder.  My first priorities are 2nd base and pitching (both starter and relief).  The resources are not limitless IMO.  If we cash Vaughn or Eloy in for trade value we would be selling low in all probabilities.  I am just trying to field the best team with the situation we have.

44 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Do we have a 2nd baseman?  Do we have satisfactory pitching both starting and relief?  Do we have a solid defensive catcher?  If the answer to my questions is yes...sure let's get a high-grade right fielder.  My first priorities are 2nd base and pitching (both starter and relief).  The resources are not limitless IMO.  If we cash Vaughn or Eloy in for trade value we would be selling low in all probabilities.  I am just trying to field the best team with the situation we have.

You can’t say we have no solid defensive catcher and then say Vaughn and Sheets should play RF a lot. Same problem.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You can’t say we have no solid defensive catcher and then say Vaughn and Sheets should play RF a lot. Same problem.

Exactly.  If you are concerned about defense, a Vaughn/Sheets RF should be unacceptable.  A defense first 2B should not be too hard to come by or too expensive.  Sox need a starting 2B but it is about third on my list of priorities behind a RF w/ pop and a quality starting pitcher.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Do the Sox have a starting 2B, no.  Is the offseason over, also no.  2B is much easier to fill IMO than the other needs.  We'd all love a Semien or Nick Madrigal 2.0, but I'm not sweating 2B until the other, more pressing needs are filled.

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Exactly.  If you are concerned about defense, a Vaughn/Sheets RF should be unacceptable.  A defense first 2B should not be too hard to come by or too expensive.  Sox need a starting 2B but it is about third on my list of priorities behind a RF w/ pop and a quality starting pitcher.

If they literally blew all their money on the moves the last few years, then don’t worry about a RF with pop, worry about one who can catch the ball in a rotation of players. Improve the defense at those positions and maybe you get lucky and Eloy and Robert play enough games for the offense to take care of itself.

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Do the Sox have a starting 2B, no.  Is the offseason over, also no.  2B is much easier to fill IMO than the other needs.  We'd all love a Semien or Nick Madrigal 2.0, but I'm not sweating 2B until the other, more pressing needs are filled.

You are correct...pitching is much more important.