Starling Marte to Mets, 4 yrs/$73M

bmags

I'd say he sold a bit short. Age is obviously a factor esp. considering that he's a speed player, but he's a premier CF with a plus SH bat in a sparse market. I'd have liked the guy in a Sox uniform, but there wasn't much interest on Hahn's part. As an aside I've seen two writeups on his signing as an indication that Conforto's list price could go down somewhat. Maybe so...

1 minute ago, FoxForce2 said:

I'd say he sold a bit short. Age is obviously a factor esp. considering that he's a speed player, but he's a premier CF with a plus SH bat in a sparse market. I'd have liked the guy in a Sox uniform, but there wasn't much interest on Hahn's part. As an aside I've seen two writeups on his signing as an indication that Conforto's list price could go down somewhat. Maybe so...

I’d bet he prioritized length. Going year to year sucks. That said odds he’s on Mets in year four are like 10%

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d bet he prioritized length. Going year to year sucks. That said odds he’s on Mets in year four are like 10%

Yeah not likely many teams would be going 4 years on him. Diminishing returns pretty much built in at that length. The Mets are just splurging at this point, scrabbling to get back into the game - in appearance if nothing else.

1 minute ago, FoxForce2 said:

Yeah not likely many teams would be going 4 years on him. Diminishing returns pretty much built in at that length. The Mets are just splurging at this point, scrabbling to get back into the game - in appearance if nothing else.

It feels like deja vu of BVWs first year, a collection of good stuff, but good depth, and will finish with 80 wins.

1 hour ago, FoxForce2 said:

I've actually surprised at the amount of people here and 2 of our insiders who expect a big payday for Conforto but I'm out there with just my guesses expecting less. I know plenty here think he's the perfect fit and with an expected payroll increase think Conforto is a guy to splurge on and think he'll have a strong market. I don't see it but I've been wrong before.

Reminds me of the Didi Gregorius talks around here after he put up his 2 best seasons then had a down year and I didn't think he's get much of a contract and others thought I was nuts. He ended up getting a 1 yr contract for $10M had a good Covid year and Phils resigned him for 2 more years for $28M and had an abysmal yr. in 2021.

I'll edit this to say I'm mistaken about what I thought about Didi's contract. I didn't think he'd get much after his very good 2020  Covid yr. He ended up getting 2/28 from the Phillies then sucked big time in 2021. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Phillies want to give up Didi instead of Segura in a trade for Kimbrel.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

That is a pretty steep price to pay, but if he can stick in CF and stay healthy he should be worth it. Really wanted him on Sox, but that price and length for RF probably wasn't good enough value since he is a righty.

You're right! I was confusing S. Marte with K. Marte as a switch hitter. I think i got the rest of it right though...