Adam Frazier traded to Mariners

bmags

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Never a good fit in SD…classic first half over performance based on career history followed up by a total fizzle. 

Baseball is just like that. Good 1st half bad 2nd half. Braves picked up a few guys with bad 1st halves and they rebounded in the 2nd half like Soler and Rosario. Duvall was pretty much the same both halves and they got him rather inexpensively for a power hitter who is a decent fielder. Pederson was also slightly better in the 2nd half.

They lost Acuna and Ozuna and were able to pick up 4 OF's and the Sox none and underpaid for bad 1st halves rather than overpaying for outstanding 1st halves . Maybe that's the way they approached it and it paid off.

Frazier was still worth 3.5 fWAR.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

That’s definitely an offer we could’ve matched if Sox preferred. Simien makes sense talent wise, but Chris Taylor at probably more than half the price really interests me. Jeff McNeil trade I prefer over segura. I think Cavan biggio could also be an interesting trade partner for second base. Toronto could deal excess catcher in that deal as well. Go Sox! 

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Never a good fit in SD…classic first half over performance based on career history followed up by a total fizzle. 

Tough for your SD beat that you didn’t think Frazier would be available

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

Tough for your SD beat that you didn’t think Frazier would be available

I never thought it was a good fit, because they already had five infielders for essentially three positions and a crowded outfield…so why would the Pirates not try to sell high on him?  All it did was ended up putting more players used to being out there nearly every day on the bench, and the entire team lost its offensive rhythm.

The White Sox discovered the same lesson trying to change Kimbrel’s role into something he has never been.  Sometimes mo move is better, and certainly just making cosmetic changes without addressing the core problem (starting pitching) isn’t going to fix anything.

25 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If they were so prescient, they should have recognized Eduardo Escobar’s quad was going to hold up and Hernandez would go into a free fall on both offense and defense.

Or are they going to blame that on Allen Thomas as well, instead of their scouts?

On the other hand, the one who scouted Tepera deserves a promotion.

Just a different set of lenses, some see a cheap price and use it as reason sox should have stayed away (people think he sucks), others it validates why he was a good candidate (cheap fill in that hits above average vs RHP, good GB%)

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just a different set of lenses, some see a cheap price and use it as reason sox should have stayed away (people think he sucks), others it validates why he was a good candidate (cheap fill in that hits above average vs RHP, good GB%)

I’d have taken Frazier and his skill set from the 9 hole with good D at second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bmags said:

I can’t comment on the return - but I really thought Frazier was a perfect buy low candidate. Sox must have a plan but right now they have been out / not got done a few deals that I would have liked - most notably this deal and/or the Marte deal. Quite frankly I loved Marte - his athleticism and defend in RF would have been perfect and if Robert goes down he gives you good depth in CF to go with Engel. Tired of Sox defense being so bad in certain spots and getting Frazier and Marte would have been stellar - giving lefty bat in Frazier, a ton of versatility in both, and just two flat out quality ball players. 

I also thought the Matz contract was damn reasonable - especially if you could move Keuchel in a Kimbrel deal. 

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can’t comment on the return - but I really thought Frazier was a perfect buy low candidate. Sox must have a plan but right now they have been out / not got done a few deals that I would have liked - most notably this deal and/or the Marte deal. Quite frankly I loved Marte - his athleticism and defend in RF would have been perfect and if Robert goes down he gives you good depth in CF to go with Engel. Tired of Sox defense being so bad in certain spots and getting Frazier and Marte would have been stellar - giving lefty bat in Frazier, a ton of versatility in both, and just two flat out quality ball players. 

I also thought the Matz contract was damn reasonable - especially if you could move Keuchel in a Kimbrel deal. 

Same thoughts have been circling me too.

So Frazier was traded at the deadline and was worth 1 rWAR in the last 2 months. This was disappointing as his performance was significantly down compared to his first half. He is going to earn around $8 million in arb next year. That was expensive enough that no one, including the White Sox, would give up more than a pittance for him.

Craig Kimbrel was traded at the deadline and was worth 0 rWAR in the last 2 months. This was disappointing as his second half was a disaster compared to his first half. His option is worth $16 million next year. People are expecting a big return for this?