Semien to Rangers, 7 for $175

bmags

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It's unclear why JR would make truly transformative investments in the team when he can take the money to his grave instead. 

My guess is they will move the focus to trading major/minor league assets to fill 2B/RF.  Then go dumpster diving for SP.   They will bank on Keuchel being the Keuchel of old and then figure it's one guy to be the 5th starter.  They might pick up another reliever or so.   

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

My guess is they will move the focus to trading major/minor league assets to fill 2B/RF.  Then go dumpster diving for SP.   They will bank on Keuchel being the Keuchel of old and then figure it's one guy to be the 5th starter.  They might pick up another reliever or so.   

All of which would suggest that they really aren't serious.  
I could kind of understand it if they had a viable farm system;  but, no, Rick Hahn  has delivered the #30 farm system.

Semien signed for market price.  Escobar probably for below market.  Big need position and a better market than RF, the other need.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, DaGame said:

7 Years is insane for Marcus. This has nothing to do with shopping at the dollar tree for FA. I wonder what happens with Story now?

Every off-season we have to read these idiotic posts. 

7 years is meaningless, this just locking up for the remaining productive years of his career. 

Why do Sox fans insist on saving Jerry Reinsdorf's MONEY?! 

This is what it costs to sign marquee game changing talents. This is how you go for a title. These are the types of talents that help push you over the finish line. Who cares about 2028. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Good players cost money. The money will keep rising for good players. 

Are championships won making these sort of deals? Signing players who are at/past peak production for top $ isn’t a recipe for success. If it were the last 15y would’ve been a lot more successful for the Yankees.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pretty hilarious that people thought the Sox were suddenly going to spend money this off-season. THIS ONE was going to be different. 

Not to mention belligerent and arrogant to those not accepting their $200M plus payroll scenarios.

They already significantly bumped payroll with Lynn, Grandal, Abreu, Kimbrel, Hendriks and Keuchel.

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

Are championships won making these sort of deals? Signing players who are at/past peak production for top $ isn’t a recipe for success. If it were the last 15y would’ve been a lot more successful for the Yankees.

Plenty of teams spend and compete for titles. We need to compliment the talent we have with more productive players than Adam Eaton types and DK types. 

I am pro worrying more about AAV and not acting like longer deals are the worst thing you can deal with as a fan…

However, love Marcus, but this FA class in particular felt like a bad fit for this team.

I’d much rather splurge on a pitcher, which to me feel much easier to move.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While I always lean toward the Sox not spending  how would you feel if the Sox spent $100M on Conforto ?

I would be absolutely floored that the Sox would rather spend 100+ million on Conforto than Semien. 

Regardless, the can will continue to be kicked down the road with this team. We heard they were in on top SP's and top IF's like Semein but what they'll likely walk away with is a middle of the road FA and some high risk SP. They can never just outbid someone for a top talent. Always some excuse.

• Like 2

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Plenty of teams spend and compete for titles. We need to compliment the talent we have with more productive players than Adam Eaton types and DK types. 

I agree but there’s a whole lot in between paying Semien top $ and singing Adam Eaton types. Tampa does it every year.