Semien to Rangers, 7 for $175

bmags

4 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Are championships won making these sort of deals? Signing players who are at/past peak production for top $ isn’t a recipe for success. If it were the last 15y would’ve been a lot more successful for the Yankees.

Yes, spending money does actually correlate directly to success:

Thanks for asking. 

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

I agree but there’s a whole lot in between paying Semien top $ and singing Adam Eaton types. Tampa does it every year.

Well if we drafted and developed our minor leagues like Tampa does we could avoid spending a lot of money.   But we trade away international bonus money because obviously that never works.   If we are going to try to get to this without spending this window will be short and we will have to sell off assets that will become expensive in short order.  

2 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

I agree but there’s a whole lot in between paying Semien top $ and singing Adam Eaton types. Tampa does it every year.

We shouldn't be operating like Tampa. We can at least get one moderately big fish. I understand not going for the 300 million fish but we should be able to get one between 100 and 200 million.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yes, spending money does actually correlate directly to success:

Thanks for asking. 

Nice try with the straw man. Nobody said anything about spending $. There’s different ways to allocate money besides these type of deals. Thanks for asking.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Every off-season we have to read these idiotic posts. 

7 years is meaningless, this just locking up for the remaining productive years of his career. 

Why do Sox fans insist on saving Jerry Reinsdorf's MONEY?! 

This is what it costs to sign marquee game changing talents. This is how you go for a title. These are the types of talents that help push you over the finish line. Who cares about 2028. 

Okay, relax. Calling my post idiotic is a little much. 7 years for Semien is way too many. This man has had TWO season with an OPS+ of over 100. He is already 31. He will be going to a big ball park. "locking up for the remaining productive years of his career" how can you project that based on two good seasons? You cannot. I mean heck Conforto has had 6 years of OPS+ so far in his career.

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

Nice try with the straw man. Nobody said anything about spending $. There’s different ways to allocate money besides these type of deals. Thanks for asking.

No, really good players are really expensive. 

It's amazing how many people claim the Yankees as an example and ignore the fact that the Dodgers have outspent every team in baseball by like 60 million the last many years and they have been in 3 of the past 5 World Series' lol.

• Like 2

Just now, DaGame said:

Okay, relax. Calling my post idiotic is a little much. 7 years for Semien is way too many. This man has had TWO season with an OPS+ of over 100. He is already 31. He will be going to a big ball park. "locking up for the remaining productive years of his career" how can you project that based on two good seasons? You cannot. I mean heck Conforto has had 6 years of OPS+ so far in his career.

Since 2019, Marcus Semien has the highest fWAR in MLB. Since 2018 he's fourth.

I swear, some Sox fans are allergic to good players.

• Like 1

We lost out on Marte, Semien, Buxton and Frasier (trades would have been needed for these players). No 2nd Basemen yet, No Right Fielder yet, no rplacement for Rodon, and i don't want to totslly count on  Kopech yet,  he needs to show me he can pitch back to starts of 5 or 6 innings. Kuechle is older and i've lost confindence in him completely. Lopez is a HUGE question mark as a starter. Yes we have Lucas, Lance, and Dylan.

Crochet i don't think is ready yet. Keep him in the bullpen to start the season. 

Castellano or Conforto for Right Field?? Or do we platoon Vaughn and Sheets and put more money into pitching. 

Chris Taylor or Trevor Story for 2nd Base?? Trades?? 

Who knows what is happening, although i never thought we'd get Hendriks. we just will have to wait again and take the crumbs that will be left. 

I think by December 1st we'll know. 

Edited by AJ'S Cousin

1 minute ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

We lost out on Marte, Semien, Buxton and Frasier (traded needed for these players). No 2nd Basemen yet, No Right Fielder yet, no rplacement for Rodon, and i don't want to that it's Kopech, he needs to show me he can pitch back to starts of 5 or 6 innings. Kuechle is older and i've lost confindence in him completely. Lopez is a HUGE question mark as a starter. Yes we have Lucas, Lance, and Dylan. Crochet i don't think is ready yet. Keep him in the bullpen to start the season. 

Castellano or Conforto for Right Field?? Or do we platoon Vaughn and Sheets and put more money into pithiching. 

Chris Taylor or Trevor Story for 2nd Base?? Trades?? 

Who knows what is happening, although i never thought we'd get Hendriks. we just will have to wait again and take the crumbs that will be left. 

Breathe man - it’s still way early.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Uh yes it does. It shows a direct correlation between $'s spent and winning percentage.

Would you like me to post the entire study to help you understand it a little better? JFC.

Says nothing about spending on top free agents. Take a break, pal.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know.

Should I post the correlation between FA spending and payrolls next to help further paint the picture for you?

Mmmk, how much of the dodgers salary has been retaining their own talent rather than acquiring the shiny toy? Sox payroll is going to continue to get bigger year by year just by existing, so we should be great on your cool chart. Lynn was payroll. Arb and extensions are payroll.

You should definitely root for the Mets though, that’s gonna be a beautiful dot on there.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You and me both.  We need to see if Madrigal is available...maybe straight up for Kimbrel.

If we want to go in the wayback regret machine you probably want to punch the front office on draft day when we didn't pick up India instead of Madrigal more than the trade for Kimbrel.   

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Since 2019, Marcus Semien has the highest fWAR in MLB. Since 2018 he's fourth.

I swear, some Sox fans are allergic to good players.

Earlier today I said I wanted Semien, but was ok if the Sox passed if it went past 5 years. I think I regret saying that. He finished 3rd for AL MVP in each of the last 2 full seasons. How much more of a sure thing can you get? Why can't Jerry just say fuck it and spend the damn money for once?

This team is on the cusp, but absolutely needs help. I'm going to puke if their big spend for the winter is Conforto and his < 1 WAR.

Who else is out there to play 2B? They're running out of targets. Are we bringing Cesar back? Or worse yet, signing Leury to play 2B? Uggh

Just now, bmags said:

Mmmk, how much of the dodgers salary has been retaining their own talent rather than acquiring the shiny toy? Sox payroll is going to continue to get bigger year by year just by existing, so we should be great on your cool chart. Lynn was payroll. Arb and extensions are payroll.

You should definitely root for the Mets though, that’s gonna be a beautiful dot on there.

Hmm.

The Dodgers acquired and gave Mookie Betts 365 million dollars.

I'm glad your happy with the Sox history in FA. 

All payrolls should get bigger and bigger by year. That's how salaries work in every other sport. The league has seen huge growth since 2008 (2000 really). If you just took the 2008 payroll the Sox had, scale it directly to league growth since 2008, the Sox would have a payroll of 215 million dollars today. But yes, please go off in celebrating the Sox never investing big money in incredibly talented players.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mookie Betts? That's a pretty shiny toy they traded for and then gave a $365 mil deal to.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

Earlier today I said I wanted Semien, but was ok if the Sox passed if it went past 5 years. I think I regret saying that. He finished 3rd for AL MVP in each of the last 2 full seasons. How much more of a sure thing can you get? Why can't Jerry just say fuck it and spend the damn money for once?

This team is on the cusp, but absolutely needs help. I'm going to puke if their big spend for the winter is Conforto and his < 1 WAR.

Who else is out there to play 2B? They're running out of targets. Are we bringing Cesar back? Or worse yet, signing Leury to play 2B? Uggh

Sox are going to run Jean Segura out there; a guy who is 32 years old; a guy who very easily could fall off a cliff at his age and given his skill set. They'll pay him 14 million too just to shed Kimbrel's salary. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Absolute insanity…I’m 100% ok with overpaying a free agent, but for a team like the Rangers who are a couple years out this seems like a huge mistake.

I agree there. This overpay would make a lot more sense from the Sox than from the Rangers. I'm not sure what they are doing down there.

• Like 1