Semien to Rangers, 7 for $175

bmags

33 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, really good players are really expensive. 

It's amazing how many people claim the Yankees as an example and ignore the fact that the Dodgers have outspent every team in baseball by like 60 million the last many years and they have been in 3 of the past 5 World Series' lol.

You can try to walk back your smart a comment that didn’t address my point, but the reality is chasing the top free agents each off season isn’t typically a good strategy. There’s ways of more prudently spending the same amount of dollars and getting a better bang for your buck. A high payroll doesn’t tell you the composition of the contracts (you of course know this but were intentionally being disingenuous).

The Semien deal and many others leave the signing team with little/no upside optionality. Even if they perform they’re merely justifying the contract. Winning teams have some players outperforming their contracts. So no I’m not upset at all about Semien, and I’d prefer signings with upside optionality. 

• Like 1

Just now, maloney.adam said:

One of the other outfielders or Sheets has got to go than. 

I'm of the opinion that Eloy is the best hitter on this team, and will probably prove it next year when he's fully healthy. So I don't want him moved. And it's especially a bad idea right now, as his trade value is probably suppressed after his injury plagued season.

29 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

If we want to go in the wayback regret machine you probably want to punch the front office on draft day when we didn't pick up India instead of Madrigal more than the trade for Kimbrel.   

The Madrigal draft pick is one of the biggest set backs of the rebuild. I never liked the pick, I recognize him as the best college hitter and him having a high floor but when you’re in a draft and when you have a TOP FIVE pick you need to draft a superstar, not a singles hitter.

They could’ve had Jarred Kelenic 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Schwarber is better than any DH on the roster.  

I don't disagree with that. But I think the Sox team as it is currently constructed will depend on giving guys days at DH, which might preclude them from signing a fulltime DH.

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

We can still have a good offseason, but it’s just frustrating to watch this every year. We act like a small market team in a big city.

It is still November I believe. You can't say that until the offseason is over. 

56 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Every off-season we have to read these idiotic posts. 

7 years is meaningless, this just locking up for the remaining productive years of his career. 

Why do Sox fans insist on saving Jerry Reinsdorf's MONEY?! 

This is what it costs to sign marquee game changing talents. This is how you go for a title. These are the types of talents that help push you over the finish line. Who cares about 2028. 

Game changing talents have performed for more than one to two seasons. His numbers are so pedestrian pre 2019

4 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I'm of the opinion that Eloy is the best hitter on this team, and will probably prove it next year when he's fully healthy. So I don't want him moved. And it's especially a bad idea right now, as his trade value is probably suppressed after his injury plagued season.

And he won't be able to prove himself if he's patrolling the OF because he will always get hurt, necessitating the move to DH, and trading of Vaughn to open up LF for Schwarber, since JR will insist on another Abreu extension. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

57 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pretty hilarious that people thought the Sox were suddenly going to spend money this off-season. THIS ONE was going to be different. 

Passing on one particular deal proves that?  I would have prioritized RF & SP over paying someone $175M to pay 2B for us too.  Let’s wait a bit long before you start patting yourself on the back for being cheap.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Usually when you trade for a TOR starter you have to give up a pitcher with TOR potential. That would be Kopech+++

How about this....

Offer Baltimore Vaughn, Crochet and 2 lottery tickets for Cedric Mullins and put him in RF. He has 4 years of control left and makes less than a mil in 2022. There's our left handed power, with nice defense to boot.

Then sign Max Scherzer to a 2 year deal with the money saved in RF.

If you make those 2 moves, then do whatever the hell you want for 2B. Leury, Segura, Cesar...who cares.

Just now, Sarava said:

You know what bothers me. We keep getting all kinds of arguments who has the potential to be great,among Robert, Eloy, Moncada and now Vaughn and every year Abreu and Anderson turns out to be our best hitters. A couple of those dudes have to step up and stop getting injured. No one would be freaking out over missing out on a few players to make the team better if those guys start playing like we think think should. People last year didn't want to trade Vaughn, Kopech and Crochet. We are waiting on an awful lot of potential.

I know they haven't been around long and are still young but someone please step up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

How about this....

Offer Baltimore Vaughn, Crochet and 2 lottery tickets for Cedric Mullins and put him in RF. He has 4 years of control left and makes less than a mil in 2022. There's our left handed power, with nice defense to boot.

Then sign Max Scherzer to a 2 year deal with the money saved in RF.

If you make those 2 moves, then do whatever the hell you want for 2B. Leury, Segura, Cesar...who cares.

If I was a GM I wouldn't want Crochet. That's why I wanted him traded last year. Maybe Vaughn and Kopech gets that done who knows. That's another thing teams rather not get is 1st basemen.

31 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I agree there. This overpay would make a lot more sense from the Sox than from the Rangers. I'm not sure what they are doing down there.

Exactly, it’s far more reasonable for a contender, but I feel like you better be able to maximize those first three years for this to make sense.

31 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ofcourse this is an absurd deal. Cishek claims the Sox wouldn't guarantee a 7th year. I'd be royally pissed if they truly offered him a 6 yr deal (or any deal at all....its like they don't know or care what our needs are).

If you read his tweet, he’s just saying we would never have gone 7 years.  I don’t think he’s actually confirming if we did or didn’t make an offer.

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Usually when you trade for a TOR starter you have to give up a pitcher with TOR potential. That would be Kopech+++

That's why you sign a TOR starter.

They just need a good starter; they don't absolutely need a TOR.

The mere thought of Hahn trading away these young players is just freaking scary.

16 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

The Madrigal draft pick is one of the biggest set backs of the rebuild. I never liked the pick, I recognize him as the best college hitter and him having a high floor but when you’re in a draft and when you have a TOP FIVE pick you need to draft a superstar, not a singles hitter.

They could’ve had Jarred Kelenic 

There is nothing going on that says Kelenic will have a better career than Madrigal. You sounds like you're talking about 5 years from now when Kelenic is a top player and Madrigal isn't.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You know what bothers me. We keep getting all kinds of arguments who has the potential to be great,among Robert, Eloy, Moncada and now Vaughn and every year Abreu and Anderson turns out to be our best hitters. A couple of those dudes have to step up and stop getting injured. No one would be freaking out over missing out on a few players to make the team better if those guys start playing like we think think should. People last year didn't want to trade Vaughn, Kopech and Crochet. We are waiting on an awful lot of potential.

I know they haven't been around long and are still young but someone please step up.

Preach. 

After further thought, I'm actually really excited that the Sox didn't sign a perennial MVP candidate because in 2028 we want to make sure we maintain that elite financial flexibility to miss out on marquee free agents then as well. $/WAR championships are the real champions. 

I hope baseball owners can continue to grow their share of the pie over the players because there's nothing I like watching more than Jerry Reinsdorf count all his money in the owners box. It's my favorite thing to bid on during the White Sox charities auction every year.

Let's go! Bring on Chris Taylor!!

Being a Sox fan is like hoping Iowa or NW beats Michigan or Ohio State in football...it happens about 5-10% of the time, enough to just keep you hooked but never enough to set your expectations too high, only to end up totally disappointed.  White Sox have to turn 2-3* recruits into All-Stars, just very hard to do on a consistent or sustainable basis.  Could we at least be Wisconsin or Michigan State?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Robert hit pretty well last year when he played. Pretty confident there.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

After further thought, I'm actually really excited that the Sox didn't sign a perennial MVP candidate because in 2028 we want to make sure we maintain that elite financial flexibility to miss out on marquee free agents then as well. $/WAR championships are the real champions. 

I hope baseball owners can continue to grow their share of the pie over the players because there's nothing I like watching more than Jerry Reinsdorf count all his money in the owners box. It's my favorite thing to bid on during the White Sox charities auction every year.

That might be too optimistic, your last sentence...

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Conforto is the better play for us…it’s really that simple.  I expect an apology from you to the rest of the board if/when it happens later tonight.

Edited by Chicago White Sox