Semien to Rangers, 7 for $175

bmags

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

They got better...whew though. They weren't close. They aren't close to close. I guess in a narrow white sox framing it's nice that he isn't stacking another team vs. sox, but from a pure baseball view I sure wish he would have chosen the Mariners over the rangers (or obviously, if sox had made play).

The Rangers are closer than you think.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they're this years Mariners.  

13 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

Its not about the owner's cash flow. Its about how this contracts can cripple the franchise moving forward because they have to pay a guy 35 million a year and he is hurt and sucks and the team is up against the luxury tax. Oh, and the contract is now unmovable. Also, you have to trade off assets because you can't afford to keep your own players because your saddled with albatross contracts.

One contarct can't cripple a multi-billion dollar organization but the owners thank you for thinking it can.  

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Rangers are closer than you think.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they're this years Mariners.  

I'm still not sure why they decided to trade Gallo when they were going to spend a massive amount of money this off-season to get better. It's not like the Yankees wow'd them with their offer. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

I'm still not sure why they decided to trade Gallo when they were going to spend a massive amount of money this off-season to get better. It's not like the Yankees wow'd them with their offer. 

Gallo does not like New York.  Has many friends w/ Rangers org.  He may go back there next year.  

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was curious about the White Sox’s supposed interest in Semien, Jeff Passan has the Boras supplied play by play of the teams that were interested in his guys and how things came together. The White Sox never appear in the story even when he is listing the teams that showed a vague interest in Semien at the beginning of November.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32821654/how-rangers-mets-blue-jays-mariners-combined-wildest-day-mlb-free-agent-history

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

In case anyone was curious about the White Sox’s supposed interest in Semien, Jeff Passan has the Boras supplied play by play of the teams that were interested in his guys and how things came together. The White Sox never appear in the story even when he is listing the teams that showed a vague interest in Semien at the beginning of November.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/32821654/how-rangers-mets-blue-jays-mariners-combined-wildest-day-mlb-free-agent-history

How are the White Sox supposed to sell season tickets if they didn't come in second for these guys?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How are the White Sox supposed to sell season tickets if they didn't come in second for these guys?

Tell Bruce Levine to leak that they are going to, then he leaks that and you've got the requested press even though you show no actual interest.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tell Bruce Levine to leak that they are going to, then he leaks that and you've got the requested press even though you show no actual interest.

I literally want to meet the person who bought tickets because Bruce Levine said we would talk to Marcus Semien.

levineline is a credible source of information....maybe - if it involves the Cubs. He knows/cares dick about the white sox. He was the douche that said sox fans trashed wrigley causing a delay after A. J. hit a game winning hr in the 9th when we were down to our last strike in 06. All those upset, evil sox fans.

Edited by kleedawg

On 11/28/2021 at 5:05 PM, maloney.adam said:

We can still have a good offseason, but it’s just frustrating to watch this every year. We act like a small market team in a big city.

That's been going for a long time, we need new ownership who will run the White Sox like the big market franchise they are meant to be.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:53 AM, kleedawg said:

Its not about the owner's cash flow. Its about how this contracts can cripple the franchise moving forward because they have to pay a guy 35 million a year and he is hurt and sucks and the team is up against the luxury tax. Oh, and the contract is now unmovable. Also, you have to trade off assets because you can't afford to keep your own players because your saddled with albatross contracts.

I agree but you will get lots of flack for taking this position.  Giving an inordinate amount of the total payroll to one player has never seemed the smart way to build a team to me.