Semien to Rangers, 7 for $175

bmags

It's feeling like the Sox are doing their shopping at at the dollar store yet again this winter, just like last year. The Rodon signing did work out in a big way. Obviously Eaton did not. But it's not over yet...we still could be surprised by a Ray, Schwarber or Castellanos signing.

9 minutes ago, Sarava said:

It's feeling like the Sox are doing their shopping at at the dollar store yet again this winter, just like last year. The Rodon signing did work out in a big way. Obviously Eaton did not. But it's not over yet...we still could be surprised by a Ray, Schwarber or Castellanos signing.

Yeah I have no idea what they’re doing or what their plan is. They are a team with WS aspirations but they are acting like a team that’s in the beginning phases of a rebuild. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Yeah I have no idea what they’re doing or what their plan is. They are a team with WS aspirations but they are acting like a team that’s in the beginning phases of a rebuild. 

Or the situation the Cubs were in the last 2-3 seasons…basically standing pat but afraid to do a teardown until it was unavoidable.  But trying to compete without Darvish made little to no sense, other than for the financial savings.

Of course, the White Sox are still years away from the backside of the rebuild…but haven’t yet acted like a top contender does, either.  Heck, even Conforto and a veteran starter in the $10-12 million range won’t excite many, especially if they go cheap at second base as well.

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The Sox are definitely considering tearing it all down 

How are they acting like a World Series contender?

Now we’re supposed to be satisfied to trade our remaining prospect capital from the #30 ranked farm system when we were promised unprecedented financial flexibility?

Acquiring Castellanos or Schwarber when we already have six DH’s on the roster?

Luis Castillo?  Sonny Gray when his best days are now behind him?

We already let one of our All-Stars go for zero in return, and a Top 4 draft pick.

Now we’re going to trade Vaughn and/or Crochet for Castillo…which will leave Vera as the last legit piece in the farm system, along with Montgomery.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How are they acting like a World Series contender?

Now we’re supposed to be satisfied to trade our remaining prospect capital from the #30 ranked farm system when we were promised unprecedented financial flexibility?

Acquiring Castellanos or Schwarber when we already have six DH’s on the roster?

Luis Castillo?  Sonny Gray when his best days are now behind him?

We already let one of our All-Stars go for zero in return, and a Top 4 draft pick.

Now we’re going to trade Vaughn and/or Crochet for Castillo…which will leave Vera as the last legit piece in the farm system, along with Montgomery.

Let's rewind for one moment and before anyone answers any of your non sequitor questions, why don't you tell us why you believe the white Sox are considering a rebuild

just a few days ago you identified 2027 as the most important window year.  So let's have it all, let me know what's happening out there caulfield

Sox aren’t exactly pulling out all the stops to make themselves top title contenders this winter, but the franchise has never really operated that way anyway.  But to suggest they are acting like a team on the verge of a rebuild is laughably absurd.  I’m antsy AF watching all these moves happen while the Sox seemingly sit on their hands but come the fuck on.   Still plenty of opportunity to fill the holes on the roster. 

Edited by Tnetennba

Soxtalk: I think this is the year the Sox will finally spend on a player

*Player signs somewhere else*

Also Soxtalk: Well, the last couple years of that deal will be bad anyway.

This isn't just Semien. This is every year fans think they will sign someone big. If this how you think or the team operates, then you will never sign big free agents. Have to spend over what you are comfortable spending unfortunately.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Soxtalk: I think this is the year the Sox will finally spend on a player

*Player signs somewhere else*

Also Soxtalk: Well, the last couple years of that deal will be bad anyway.

This isn't just Semien. This is every year fans think they will sign someone big. If this how you think or the team operates, then you will never sign big free agents. Have to spend over what you are comfortable spending unfortunately.

I guess Jose Abreu, Yasmani Grandal, Luis Robert, Dallas Kuechel (yes, Kuechel) are all not considered big free agent signings in recent history then?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I guess Jose Abreu, Yasmani Grandal, Luis Robert, Dallas Kuechel (yes, Kuechel) are all not considered big free agent signings in recent history then?

I mean, compared to 7/$175, no a 3-4 year deal for a veteran or a deal covering a guys arbitration years with a couple extra options...those are not big free agent signings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

7/175 for a 31 year old Marcus Semien is absolutely bananas.

Who cares.  This is what the Rangers had to do to change their culture.  Semien brings instant credibility to a franchise that desperatley needed it.  So the owners great great great great grandson doesn't get a new yacht for his 18th birthday.  Boo hoo

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Who cares.  This is what the Rangers had to do to change their culture.  Semien brings instant credibility to a franchise that desperatley needed it.  So the owners great great great great grandson doesn't get a new yacht for his 18th birthday.  Boo hoo

Overpaying for an aging veteran does wonders for their culture. I'm sure the Rangers are finally poised to take off.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Overpaying for an aging veteran does wonders for their culture. I'm sure the Rangers are finally poised to take off.

You have to overpay in free agency, just the way it is. The Rangers got better today with that signing, well see what it looks like 4-5 years from now but even then were taking about 25 million a year which might be nothing by then.

Just now, T R U said:

You have to overpay in free agency, just the way it is. The Rangers got better today with that signing, well see what it looks like 4-5 years from now but even then were taking about 25 million a year which might be nothing by then.

They got better...whew though. They weren't close. They aren't close to close. I guess in a narrow white sox framing it's nice that he isn't stacking another team vs. sox, but from a pure baseball view I sure wish he would have chosen the Mariners over the rangers (or obviously, if sox had made play).

Just now, bmags said:

They got better...whew though. They weren't close. They aren't close to close. I guess in a narrow white sox framing it's nice that he isn't stacking another team vs. sox, but from a pure baseball view I sure wish he would have chosen the Mariners over the rangers (or obviously, if sox had made play).

Don't you see, bad contracts are great for "culture."

I'd love to have Semien, but that's a terrible contract.

Just now, bmags said:

Yeah they aren't close at all, but at least they are doing something to show they are trying to get there. I would have preferred Mariners as well, anything to knock off the Astros.

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Its not about the owner's cash flow. Its about how this contracts can cripple the franchise moving forward because they have to pay a guy 35 million a year and he is hurt and sucks and the team is up against the luxury tax. Oh, and the contract is now unmovable. Also, you have to trade off assets because you can't afford to keep your own players because your saddled with albatross contracts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Yeah they aren't close at all, but at least they are doing something to show they are trying to get there. I would have preferred Mariners as well, anything to knock off the Astros.

I guess if I were a rangers fan I'd just prefer the david stearns 15-17 paper clip trading and solid vet signings then a big splash signing. It may put you in a 2014-esque white sox situation where you make some bad moves just to speed up a window that wasn't there.

Brewers, Giants kinda showed that their player development was working with some smaller projects, then were able to get a grandal, Yellich, etc. 

But, maybe the Rangers way will work and we'll point to it. Just seems like a waste of Marcus.

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Bad contracts aren't a good sign for a team trying to improve. They're actually the exact opposite. The Rangers aren't going to buy their way to relevancy. These are the type of contracts that momentarily placate fans for a few weeks and then the fans realize they've sucked for the last 60 years and paying a 37 year old Marcus Semien $25mm isn't helping.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

They are going to need about 10 more Marcus Semien level signings to become relevant.