Scherzer to Mets for 3 yrs/$130m

bmags

The Mets are acting the way a New York team should act, and Cohen in some ways is mimicking the actions of the Dodgers’ Guggenheim ownership, which dramatically increased the team’s payroll upon taking over in May 2012. The Dodgers began a streak of nine straight playoff appearances the following season, and in the process upgraded their farm system, becoming the sport’s model franchise.

https://theathletic.com/2985471/2021/11/29/rosenthal-by-adding-max-scherzer-the-mets-are-acting-like-a-new-york-team-should-but-thats-no-guarantee-of-success/

Didn't really want Scherzer, but I do find it funny that White Sox fans have reached peak battered wife syndrome; they now make fun of other teams who do spend money.

Oh, nice Ferrari loser! I have a Camry, and that has the lowest depreciation rate of any car on the market. Enjoy losing your cars value the moment you drive it out of the lot, clown!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Didn't really want Scherzer, but I do find it funny that White Sox fans have reached peak battered wife syndrome; they now make fun of other teams who do spend money.

Oh, nice Ferrari loser! I have a Camry, and that has the lowest depreciation rate of any car on the market. Enjoy losing your cars value the moment you drive it out of the lot, clown!

Camry is a great car tho. I've had mine for 15 years and it's been great and I can prolly hold onto it for another 3-4 years.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If there were a pitcher, for whom 3 years, at $43 million per year, were justified, I'd be disappointed that Sox ownership didn't want to aggressively pursue him. However, a 38 year old is not that guy, and I can't complain because Reinsdorf is not that reckless. Again, I'd much rather place a risky bet on Rodon, at a much lower cost, than on a pitcher, Max's age.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If there were a pitcher, for whom 3 years, at $43 million per year, were justified, I'd be disappointed that Sox ownership didn't want to aggressively pursue him. However, a 38 year old is not that guy, and I can't complain because Reinsdorf is not that reckless. Again, I'd much rather place a risky bet on Rodon, at a much lower cost, than on a pitcher, Max's age.

I don't think can be argued with IMO.

36 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Camry is a great car tho. I've had mine for 15 years and it's been great and I can prolly hold onto it for another 3-4 years.

And the White Sox are a good baseball team.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't trade my Camry in for a Ferrari despite the depreciation and the added "risks" and repair costs.

I traded in my Civic for a MachE. Civic was a great car, MachE is still an upgrade.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea exactly. 2 years 85 million with a club option for a 3rd is a helluva lot better. That they had to include the opt out -- who the fuck were they bidding against at that AAV and those years?

No clue who the Mets would be bidding against 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

No clue who the Mets would be bidding against 

They're bidding against a guy taking a lesser deal from a team in a location where he might want to be or holding out to see what the CBA does. The White Sox almost certainly did something similar with Grandal, they had a solid idea of how much he was worth, but he might not have gotten that deal from anyone given the depressed market and his issues in previous postseasons, so they just went out and made it happen rather than waiting. 

Teams in MLB have had revenues through the roof for a decade, the Mets have an owner with deep pockets, and the Mets have huge potential for revenue and team value growth given New York. Put a deal on the table, it's going to look bad, but its done. 

46 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And the White Sox are a good baseball team.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't trade my Camry in for a Ferrari despite the depreciation and the added "risks" and repair costs.

I traded in my Civic for a MachE. Civic was a great car, MachE is still an upgrade.

Paying $45k for one of Ford's first EV's sounds about as good as the Scherzer deal. 

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. I will jot it down in my journal later this evening; may even put the car up for sale. 

I mean, you just spent $45k on a Ford. The used market will never be better. It might be time. 

I'm just giving you shit. They're pretty cool cars. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

Insanity.....paying $64,000 per out

3 years at $130,000,000

1 year at $43,333,333

assume 32 starts per year: $1,354,167 per start

assume 21.0 out per game, 7 innings per starts (that's 224 innings per year); $64,484 per out

the above assumes 224 innings per year, at 200 innings, the cost per out goes to $72,222 

Flashback to another AL Central Owner getting all pissy about spending money.

Illitch dumped Scherzer (2019 WS) and Dombrowski (2018 WS) after they wanted more money. Both went on to win World Series within four years of leaving.

The Tigers have gone 144 games under .500 since.

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Flashback to another AL Central Owner getting all pissy about spending money.

Illitch dumped Scherzer (2019 WS) and Dombrowski (2018 WS) after they wanted more money. Both went on to win World Series within four years of leaving.

The Tigers have gone 144 games under .500 since.

Jerry has literally said nothing about anything in forever, but don't let details get in the way here.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Jerry has literally said nothing about anything in forever, but don't let details get in the way here.

Dear Leader lied last year about losing "nine figures", despite cutting payroll by nearly 2/3, while simultaneously sending his lackey to lie about the 2020 MLB COVID agreement, and another paid for lackey to whine about Samson outing his carrot advice and pimp his drunken manager hire.

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

Dear Leader lied last year about losing "nine figures", despite cutting payroll by nearly 2/3, while simultaneously sending his lackey to lie about the 2020 MLB COVID agreement, and another paid for lackey to whine about Samson outing his carrot advice and pimp his drunken manager hire.

So 2020.  Thanks for backing me up.

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

So, forever is 15 months, are you a goldfish?

Look, I know you are always looking for reasons to make the same tropes you always post, but the gymnastics of this one was trite as best. Pretending that 15 months ago is relevant to now is about as relevant as a quote from 6 years being tied to Jerry for no reason. There's plenty to be mad about ownership at this winter  no need to make up more stuff.