Corey Seager to the Rangers: 10Y, 325M

Baron

1 minute ago, G13 said:

Give Romy Gonzalez a shot at 2B and keep the same platoon at RF from last year (Vaugn/Engel/Sheets).  Maybe Oscar Colas could be a factor around may/June.  He is a lefty power bat.

Last thing the sox need is to sign someone to a long term deal for 6+ years.  That'll put us over the luxury tax in a yr or 2 once moncada hits his $20+mil per year and have Robert and eloy coming around the corner.  Plus there won't be any money left to resign Tim Anderson or Lucas Giolito in the next yr or 2.

The only way the white sox sign any of their current talent is if they give the home town discount.  There is zero chance the whitesox give any of our players a full fair market deal.  Timmy and Gio are good as gone if they get to FA.  

• Fire 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Remember when the Phillies said the same thing when they acquired Harper & Wheeler.  I get you have some sort of scouting background and like to dream big on prospects, but not all these kids will pan out and they have a ways to go before they have all the supporting in place to overcome the Astros, Mariners, and even Angels.

This is also a franchise that thus far has not been able to get a boost in attendance from opening a new ballpark due to factors beyond their control. They also consistently had a top 10 payroll from 2011-2018 and are in the ~5th biggest media market in the country, so there's lots of opportunity for revenue growth for them just getting into the race.

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

The only way the white sox sign any of their current talent is if they give the home town discount.  There is zero chance the whitesox give any of our players a full fair market deal.  Timmy and Gio are good as gone if they get to FA.  

I agree and I'm ok with that.  I never liked paying for past performances but the sox are known to be one of the teams where players gave a home team discount, ala buerhle, konerko, dye but only time will tell if that continues.

32 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

This was never really an option for the White Sox. But this being the price is why I've been concerned about missing on the smaller pieces like Frazier/Escobar.

At some point, Romy becomes the best option. And that's fine IF they get a real hitter in RF and sign a significant starter (or two).

Nick Solak and Isiah Kiner-Falefa are certainly both available to pry from the Rangers now.  Solak, from Woodridge (Grew up HUGE Sox Fan), and IKF (Gold Glover), are solid 2B options.  Certainly better than Mendick/Garcia/Hernandez. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Nick Solak and Isiah Kiner-Falefa are certainly both available to pry from the Rangers now.  Solak, from Woodridge (Grew up HUGE Sox Fan), and IKF (Gold Glover), are solid 2B options.  Certainly better than Mendick/Garcia/Hernandez. 

No thanks. The last time the Rangers spent huge and signed ARod, the Sox traded for the guy he replaced. One Royce Clayton.

3 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Kiner-Falefa looks like Leury without the ability to switch hit.

Solak is interesting. He did hit really well in April last year, but I think pitchers adjusted and he got sent down to AAA. He did hit ok after he came back up though. His speed and ability to hit for power makes him way more interesting than someone like Mendick. 

6 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Unless they sign/trade for a 3B, I would think Solak is penciled in at 3B.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Will this work out better than the 10YR 300M (or whatever it was) Arod deal?  I love Seager and if he is healthy he'll be a star, but still surprised he got this many years.  Well not surprised cause this aligns to rumors - but if you told me six months ago that this would the deal he got, coming off another year where he was hurt, I wouldn't have guessed it. He was obviously really really good when on the field though.  

I do think Rangers are buying his best years - which I respect - and he has a shot to win an MVP or two here - so buying future production vs. past production huge here.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Will this work out better than the 10YR 300M (or whatever it was) Arod deal?  I love Seager and if he is healthy he'll be a star, but still surprised he got this many years.  Well not surprised cause this aligns to rumors - but if you told me six months ago that this would the deal he got, coming off another year where he was hurt, I wouldn't have guessed it. He was obviously really really good when on the field though.  

I do think Rangers are buying his best years - which I respect - and he has a shot to win an MVP or two here - so buying future production vs. past production huge here.  

I will lay a large bet that Seager never becomes a major creditor in a Rangers bankruptcy.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

That deal worked out fine for the Rangers - he was well worth his contract, and they were able to trade him when they couldn't build around him. Investing long-term in young, really good position player free agents is at worst a neutral outcome.

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Well, most of it wasn't with the Rangers, but A Rod produced like 80 WAR during that deal or something

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Well, most of it wasn't with the Rangers, but A Rod produced like 80 WAR during that deal or something

I wasn't ripping the deal - more fact that the Rangers weren't very good during the window he was with the team - so the signing didn't really work out well for them -but you are right - Arod played really well during that window (I mean its Arod - one of the best players to ever play the game).  

16 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Josh Jung is the future 3B.  Kiner-Falefa will be the super utility guy. Would love Solak. If he's not traded he will have to fight for the LF job.  

Solak would be an instant fan favorite w/ the Sox.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/nick-solak-enjoying-playing-hometown-white-sox

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2020/02/29/rangers-nick-solak-is-a-south-side-throwback-right-down-to-the-bar-he-was-named-after/