Now that Sox have totally wet the bed

Jnooch

4 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Everyone needs to chill. We have a great team as is. I truly believe there will be great deals to be have in the $5-10mil a year range. They might not be the headline deals but can end up yielding better results. 

Where are these great deals and how do they offset a 5 win Rodon?  Not trying to be a dick, but our record with free agents in that range is atrocious.

Also, if a salary floor is instituted in the new CBA, the cost of the C & D free agents you are referring to will only go up.  Let’s get impact talent while we have a core capable of winning a World Series.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

As long as the corner outfielders don’t sign, there shouldn’t be any panic.  Today has been way more quiet than expected.

Yup, and as we saw last night / this morning, almost all the high end pitchers went in a short period of time.  It’s very possible we see a similar pop with the corner outfielders tonight.

10 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Everyone needs to chill. We have a great team as is. I truly believe there will be great deals to be have in the $5-10mil a year range. They might not be the headline deals but can end up yielding better results. 

This “great team as is” will be caught by the Tigers if Detroit starts landing free agents. Little piddly $5M gap fillers aren’t gong to cut it anymore. The White Sox are in the middle of their championship window and should be pushing chips in. We all as Sox fans suffered during the rebuild and its going to be upsetting if this is the best it’s going to get. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Boston, NYY, Houston, LAA, Seattle, SFG, SD, LAD, pretty much the entire NL East, Cardinals, Cubs…

What are the odds of beating out all of those clubs for one of the 3-4 position players we’d actually be satisfied with?

We had the open lane with Machado and Harper, and then Wheeler.  Now that door has pretty much been slammed shut to add a star player externally.   And we might end up this year having lost/traded/got nothing in return of value for THREE Top 4 overall draft picks because we weren’t willing to spend money in FA at premium positions and were forced to trade from our last remaining area of strength…our MLB positional player depth chart along with Crochet, yet another 1st rounder.

Those three young guys were supposed to be the next wave and keep the payrolls relatively reasonable.

Even that’s in danger of disappearing in this crazily distorted (by two teams) market.

Edited by caulfield12

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where are these great deals and how do they offset a 5 win Rodon?  Not trying to be a dick, but our record with free agents in that range is atrocious.

Also, if a salary floor is instituted in the new CBA, the cost of the C & D free agents you are referring to will only go up.  Let’s get impact talent while we have a core capable of winning a World Series.

$10mil a year FAs are now “C & D” players that we have no chance of being successful with?  Even if we landed a Semien or Seager it would’ve been bigger holes elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, whitesoxwinner said:

at least i stay consistent with my takes you are the heat mizer and the ice mizer wrapped into one account. One second you are ripping on the front office and the chairman and the next minute you're carrying water for them. Bipolar

Consistently bad is definitely Consistent. 

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

i argued with you one time and you just cant let go. You told me my feelings were hurt, but youre following me around this site like a little lap dog.. I guess we know who's feelings are hurt😂

Considering you are in the same argument with yet another long time poster, I am going to go with the same thing as before. 

2 hours ago, Jnooch said:

They seem to have totally misread the market. If they cant move Kimbrel for Segura. Just keep Kimbrel and go hard for kris Bryant. Move Moncada back to 2b and slide KB to 3b. It seems were behind the 8 ball. 

Kris Bryant is a good move that I would support. He's the type of guy I pay money to.  He's flexible and quite frankly I feel like he's a guy who is going to produce over next 5 to 6 years at a pretty high clip.  And if anything - you have some added flexibility in that he can play a good OF or due to injury move back to 3B and play a GG 3B as well (with Moncada moving or just filling in due to an injury).  If only he was a lefty is all I can say - but he's still a darn good player and fits from a marketability perspective.  And I think he's the type of guy that in 3 years you could move too.  

I kind of feel same way about Trevor Story to be honest.  Conforto gets me the least excited - mediocre offensive play who has hit under .260 in 3 of his last 4 seasons, including 2 of the last 3, who plays a mediocre at best defense. Story & Bryant are both above average defenders, who I get it, aren't Left handed hitters, but can provide premium defense at premium positions and bring flexibility. Story can presumably be a damn good 2B while being able to back-up Timmy at SS (in case of an injury) while Bryant fills a hole playing above average RF defense while also providing flexibility for Moncada at 3B.   

51 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

There’s decent quality people such as Chris Taylor, Alex Wood, Schwarber, Alex Cobb, Jose Iglesias, Pineda, Bundy, Tepera, Villar, Chafin…

Taylor, Tepera, and Wood will satisfy me.  Need a quality player for 2nd and load up with pitching.  I still think Rodon is a possibility as well.  I want the Vaughn, Sheets, and Engel for RF so fine with missing out on some of the mentioned names.  

6 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

hahahaha your feelings arent hurt but mine are hahahahahaha aren't you like 50 years old 

You are proposing "ban bets" like we are still in 2nd grade on MySpace because he hurt your ego, so yes, it is really obvious that you feel you need to prove something to these people who you claim to not be bothered by.  But yes, let's hear again about my age or something to further prove how it doesn't bother you. Got a mama joke too?