Javy Baez Signs 6YR 140M Deal with Tigers - Morosi

Chisoxfn

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But still only 35 at the end.  Compare to the Cano, Miggy and Pujols deals.

But none of those guys were expected to keep their legs under them and play up to the defensive demands of shortstop.

Sure, Baez can move to 2B in a few years if they replace him with a younger SS, but you still can't rely on burying his aging legs at DH when he will never be the hitter Pujols or Miggy are/were.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I made a mistake. The article said “expected” so not quite confirmed yet. I was also thinking it would be in the $25-30 mill range.

Yeah, a $20M AAV isn’t going to hamper their yearly spending even over 7 years the way $25-30M would.  If $140M isn’t yet confirmed I still have hope. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Compare Baez to 3 HOF's, 2 of which are generational talents? Why?

Probably referring to the amount of money those guys were owed when they were older than Baez will be at the end of this contract.  However, talent-wise there's no comparison.

Wanted absolutely nothing to do with Javy Baez so am happy the Tigers signed him. Think he's a flawed player who will age very very poorly due to those flaws. He is the type of player who once he loses an inkling of bat speed will lose his entire offensive game. 

Don't think going to Comerica is that big of a deal, but I just don't think his offense ages well at all.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Wanted absolutely nothing to do with Javy Baez so am happy the Tigers signed him. Think he's a flawed player who will age very very poorly due to those flaws. He is the type of player who once he loses an inkling of bat speed will lose his entire offensive game. 

Don't think going to Comerica is that big of a deal, but I just don't think his offense ages well at all.

Yup.  Tigers were always going to sign a big SS.  I'm just glad it's the most flawed one they chose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

One thing that I have seen this offseason.  Lots of long-term deals are being signed here.  This is going to put the sox into a very uncomfortable position.  I don't know if they have the appetite for these longer-term deals beyond 4 years.  

Yes, its truly a pathetic standard from our organization 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Javy Baez Signs 6YR 140M Deal with Tigers - Morosi