Javy Baez Signs 6YR 140M Deal with Tigers - Morosi

Chisoxfn

27 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

Yup.  Tigers were always going to sign a big SS.  I'm just glad it's the most flawed one they chose.

That may be true but there is also money involved.  I think Rodriquez is also flawed. Maybe Detroit wants to spend money but instead of doing a monster contract like Correa, they are doing 3-4 "second-tier signings/ deals". That probably makes sense since they seem to have several holes to fill in both rotation and positional players.No clue but they may have bullpen holes to fill like most teams. 

Javy lost a lot of money by not signing that proposed extension with the Cubs. At just over $20 million a year this seems like a fair deal for Detroit. The concern with Javy is how his game will age on offense. He did show better plate discipline with the Mets last year but that was also after the Mets collapsed and his struggles and antics were right in the middle of it. 

30 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

That may be true but there is also money involved.  I think Rodriquez is also flawed. Maybe Detroit wants to spend money but instead of doing a monster contract like Correa, they are doing 3-4 "second-tier signings/ deals". That probably makes sense since they seem to have several holes to fill in both rotation and positional players.No clue but they may have bullpen holes to fill like most teams. 

You can probably argue their bullpen overachieved last year with what they got out of some no name guys, especially towards the end of the season. They really need to get a closer cause Gregory Soto ain't it. 

21 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Javy lost a lot of money by not signing that proposed extension with the Cubs. At just over $20 million a year this seems like a fair deal for Detroit. The concern with Javy is how his game will age on offense. He did show better plate discipline with the Mets last year but that was also after the Mets collapsed and his struggles and antics were right in the middle of it. 

Buster reported it was the same extension offered by the Cubs.

This deal is smarter than Correa will will get at least $30M AAV, gives the Tigers more flexibility to keep or add other pieces.

Plus Correa's back issues make a LT deal with him a bit scary for the likely several years he'll command.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Buster reported it was the same extension offered by the Cubs.

This deal is smarter than Correa will will get at least $30M AAV, gives the Tigers more flexibility to keep or add other pieces.

Plus Correa's back issues make a LT deal with him a bit scary for the likely several years he'll command.

Wasn't his Cubs deal 8 years and $180 million? 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wasn't his Cubs deal 8 years and $180 million? 

Buster reported it, at $160M-$170M, but didn't state the years. I'd assume $160-$170M for seven (vs. $140M for 6), a similar AAV, for Buster to make that statement.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

40 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This seems like a great deal in all honesty.  

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah funny indeed that the team creeping on us with a ton of talent and plenty of money to spend has signed a very good player at a position of need. They may have blown their wad on him but they spend money. 

So you don't prefer that they signed Baez over Correa? Interesting hot take.

3 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Compare Baez to 3 HOF's, 2 of which are generational talents? Why?

How old were those players when their long term extensions ran out?

How old will Baez be?

35 is not even close to late 30’s/early 40’s now, is it?

It’s not going to financially hamstring the Tigers in any way, shape or form. 

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Because he one time ran backwards, and the Pirtates don't know how to play baseball, so he's the best ever at that.  

What are Pirtates?  A new Taco Bell favorite?  Or your own version of Pilates?

Let’s hear your own unique, individualized action plan for the offseason.

And which former poster is hiding as BBaum?  Come out, come out, whoever you are and tell us the name you formerly posted under and how you are so familiar with the board despite a scant total of 29 posts on this site?

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

And which former poster is hiding as BBaum?  Come out, come out, whoever you are and tell us the name you formerly posted under and how you are so familiar with the board despite a scant total of 29 posts on this site?

Bbaum has been on this site for years and years (never posts - always browsing). BB - if you see it hope all is well. He occasionally would write for SoxNet (maybe Futuresox too - can't remember - everything muddles into one for me at this point).  

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't know what the second part means, but as for a piratate, it is obviously a rum soaked potato.  

As for my plan for the offseason, well it doesn't matter because I'm not in the front office and the needs of this team are pretty obvious.  But here goes, since you asked, and i like to give people what they want.

They need to sign a LH hitter.  Conforto seems like a great fit.  But no one seems to know what his market will be like.  Joc is still a fit, though not perfect.  Rosario could work too.  Suzuki maybe, I don't know a lot about him but he seems like he could be a fit.  Not really an area of Sox expertise though.

They need a 2B.  I'd love Chris Taylor, but I think the odds the Sox sign him are pretty dang slim.  Segura seems like the most likely option, and he's a good player, expensive, but a good player.  There aren't many other options that are exciting.  The good thing here, is that with Yoan, TA, Abreu and Grandal, they have a pretty dynamic infield already.  

And like every other team, they need at least one starter and one more pen arm (assuming they trade Kimbrel -- another obvious must).  Tepera was a great fit and would be my first choice.  Hendriks-Graveman-Bummer seems like a solid back end now, but one reliable (if that's possible) reliever would be a huge pickup.    

As for a starter, well, I think Rodon would work.  But he seems unlikely as well and is really risky.  They won't play at the top tier and probably not even the second tier.  The good news is that they have Lynn, Giolito, Cease, Kopech, Keuchel and Crochet.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I wonder what this deal means for Story. He's clearly inferior to Baez. Does he get 5 years and $100 million? 6 years and $120 million? 

Is he?  Story has a higher career WAR in fewer seasons.  In both bWAR and fWAR.  

Its hard to straight compare stats, but Story averages (per 162) more hits, more 2B, more 3B, more HR, more RBI, more SB, more BB, more, higher BA, higher OBP, higher SLG, (so obviously a higher OPS).

They are both well regarded defensively, I don't know how any of that adds up to Story being inferior, much less clearly inferior.  

Edited by turnin' two

15 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Is he?  Story has a higher career WAR in fewer seasons.  In both bWAR and fWAR.  

Its hard to straight compare stats, but Story averages (per 162) more hits, more 2B, more 3B, more HR, more RBI, more SB, more BB, more, higher BA, higher OBP, higher SLG, (so obviously a higher OPS).

They are both well regarded defensively, I don't know how any of that adds up to Story being inferior, much less clearly inferior.  

He plays at Coors, of course he's gonna have better counting stats. I think they're similar offensively if you look at the park adjusted stats, but I think Story's issue is that it's hard to project guys that come out of Coors. Arenado's wOBA dropped almost 60 points and his wRC+ dropped 17% after moving out of Coors. If you do the same for Story, he's a league average hitter. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Javy Baez Signs 6YR 140M Deal with Tigers - Morosi
34 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He plays at Coors, of course he's gonna have better counting stats. I think they're similar offensively if you look at the park adjusted stats, but I think Story's issue is that it's hard to project guys that come out of Coors. Arenado's wOBA dropped almost 60 points and his wRC+ dropped 17% after moving out of Coors. If you do the same for Story, he's a league average hitter. 

Which is why I said it is hard to straight compare their stats.  Coors certainly has an effect.  But, with that said, you couldn't say the same in terms of his counting stats in relation to Seager or Correa.  I know no one is comparing those guys, just interesting. 

Really, what I'm saying I that I still don't see any way that Baez is clearly the superior player.  As you said, similar offensive players, I think they're similar defensive players.  Story is gonna get you more walks and higher OBP regardless of where he is playing, probably more SB too, though in today's game, that's pretty minor.  I'd say Story is a better bet to be more consistent too.  

Edited by turnin' two

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It probably has the same chance of happening as the Sox signing Machado and Harper. A lot of twitter buzz to that one.

No, there's definitely a better chance Detroit could pull that off than the White Sox could.

6 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I didn't say that. But our division rival getting better isn't something I am laughing about. 

Tigers will own the Sox next year. They were about as good second half I believe.