Javy Baez Signs 6YR 140M Deal with Tigers - Morosi

Chisoxfn

16 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I know many hate on Baez here - but 3 out of last 4 years 4.5 WAR or better and they are getting at least 4 prime years in that 6 year window (28-32 by my random definition). Tigers got better here as long as they can contain him.  

Yeah he was good and as long he is producing a good bottom line his opb and lack of plate discipline doesn't matter, 4 war is 4 war no matter how you do it. 

However both his walk and strikeout rate is alarming and those players can fall of a cliff like Adam dunn did because their swing and miss can go from bad to intolereable pretty quickly. 

If a guy who strikes out 20% of the time adds a few points of k rate it doesn't hurt much but if you are already in the 30s it is getting very dangerous, especially if you don't walk at all like baez. 

A 10 to 1 k to bb usually doesn't age well. 

Most important is he keeps up his defense and power production, as long he hits 25 homers with good defense up the middle a 290 opb will do the job but if he has to shift to a corner he is basically useless. 

5 hours ago, turnin' two said:

I don't know what the second part means, but as for a piratate, it is obviously a rum soaked potato.  

As for my plan for the offseason, well it doesn't matter because I'm not in the front office and the needs of this team are pretty obvious.  But here goes, since you asked, and i like to give people what they want.

They need to sign a LH hitter.  Conforto seems like a great fit.  But no one seems to know what his market will be like.  Joc is still a fit, though not perfect.  Rosario could work too.  Suzuki maybe, I don't know a lot about him but he seems like he could be a fit.  Not really an area of Sox expertise though.

They need a 2B.  I'd love Chris Taylor, but I think the odds the Sox sign him are pretty dang slim.  Segura seems like the most likely option, and he's a good player, expensive, but a good player.  There aren't many other options that are exciting.  The good thing here, is that with Yoan, TA, Abreu and Grandal, they have a pretty dynamic infield already.  

And like every other team, they need at least one starter and one more pen arm (assuming they trade Kimbrel -- another obvious must).  Tepera was a great fit and would be my first choice.  Hendriks-Graveman-Bummer seems like a solid back end now, but one reliable (if that's possible) reliever would be a huge pickup.    

As for a starter, well, I think Rodon would work.  But he seems unlikely as well and is really risky.  They won't play at the top tier and probably not even the second tier.  The good news is that they have Lynn, Giolito, Cease, Kopech, Keuchel and Crochet.

Suzuki is one of the few remaining players I would actually be EXCITED about...exhilarated is pushing it.

If we get one of those former Braves' outfielders from last year, you know what will happen.  That said, Rosario's familiar with the division and Joc has been a target for what, 4-5 years...going back to the famous trade that almost broke and then collapsed.  Something to do with the kid of a White Sox employee leaking info.

Undoubtedly, the starting pitching options that will be remaining (not considering Kershaw, he seems like LAD or Texas) are a minefield.  Greinke has a complete distaste for any and everything to do with Chicago.  Doubt we see any GM go after Bauer, but someone will get desperate EVENTUALLY, and get a bargain performance-wise, but not from a PR standpoint, obviously.

Stroman has been the one really quiet name there so far this off season.  But TLR supposedly blocks that one.

Looks like the trade market for a pitcher is more likely at this juncture.  Biggest acquisition is essentially Vera, hoping he develops QUICKLY.

Also, good utilization of more names than the typical Caulfield post!

And at least my fellow White Sox fan is definitely on board with Leury, haha.

Hahn did something right, for once

Yahoo/Inbox

Wed, Dec 1 at 7:48 AM

Chicago White Sox, valued veteran Leury Garcia agree to terms on new contract, baseball source says

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Out of all of these guys, Baez is #1 on the list of guys that I think teams could most regret throwing lots of money at.

100pc. The anti-Sabermetrics signing. Swing and a miss.