White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was going to say $18M was projection, but either way gross as fuck.

classic white sox. fill a hole with a player who is replaceable by a lot of minimum salaried players and give the player 6-7 million a year as one of their acquisitions. this is how they allocate wages.

I wouldn't even hate Garcia at 1 year, maybe with a 2nd year option... but giving him 3 guaranteed years is wild. He was fine last year, homer was great so I give him a pass somewhat, but he's not a good player. His entire career tells us that.

Leury is quite valuable as a utility player.  He can play every OF position and just about every IF position.  As long as he continues to be used as a super sub, I'm fine with having him back.  The 3-year deal is a bit unexpected, but as long as the $ is lower, I'm fine with this.

Just now, hogan873 said:

Leury is quite valuable as a utility player.  He can play every OF position and just about every IF position.  As long as he continues to be used as a super sub, I'm fine with having him back.  The 3-year deal is a bit unexpected, but as long as the $ is lower, I'm fine with this.

sadly, we haven't used him as a utility player.  And he is not valuable as a starter.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think that’s true about RF

I’m just saying that’s the plan right now.  He is not intended to be the starting 2B and I doubt this stops us from adding a RF, but definitely worries me how big of signing we’re going to make if we just spend $6M to $7M on a utility guy.  Hopefully I’m wrong and this will be on top of adding legit players elsewhere, but this stinks of Tony La Russa heavily influencing roster decisions and overvaluing a role player when we have bigger needs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

sooooo being a starter? Because that's what he's been

If by starting 331 games over 9 seasons is a starter for you, then sure.

This move was obviously going to happen.  Sox like Leury - Leury loves the Sox.  He was always coming back.  I was hoping more in the 2/$8M range. 3/$20M would be kind of gross, but still not large dollars.

Leury is useful to have around.  I'd much rather him cover the IF for a couple weeks when Yoan/TA/future 2B hit the IL than Mendick. 

• raBBit unpinned this topic