White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

Just now, hogan873 said:

Leury is quite valuable as a utility player.  He can play every OF position and just about every IF position.  As long as he continues to be used as a super sub, I'm fine with having him back.  The 3-year deal is a bit unexpected, but as long as the $ is lower, I'm fine with this.

I've heard this a lot, but he's not good at it. He averages less than .8 WAR per 162 games in his career. He's the definition of a replacement player. He has a career wRC+ of 80.

I expected Leury to be back, so not surprised or angry but giving him 3 guaranteed years over 5 million a year would be crazy for a guy who just isn't good. Being bad but versatile doesn't really make you valuable imo.

For a penny pinching organization they certainly love to give away 5-7 million a year to players who suck.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m just saying that’s the plan right now.  He is not intended to be the starting 2B and I doubt this stops us from adding a RF, but definitely worries me how big of signing we’re going to make if we just spend $6M to $7M on a utility guy.  Hopefully I’m wrong and this will be on top of adding legit players elsewhere, but this stinks of Tony La Russa heavily influencing roster decisions and overvaluing a role player when we have bigger needs.

Look at it the other way....spending 6-7 million a year on a utility player could show they are going to spend more than we think.  Too hard to tell at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

We've literally already been told he's not going to be used as an everyday starter in RF/2B, so you can stop repeating this now. 

To be fair, we've been told a lot of things that weren't true.  People worried about him being a starter, have a right to be.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

To be fair, we've been told a lot of things that weren't true.  People worried about him being a starter, have a right to be.

Not really.  He was only used as a starter for part of 21 because we were absolutely riddled with injuries.  He's never been a "starter" for the Sox.  Its not Leury's fault everyone got hurt in 21 and he didn't. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Look at it the other way....spending 6-7 million a year on a utility player could show they are going to spend more than we think.  Too hard to tell at the moment.

I can't find a source saying 6-7 million.  Little early to panic over our wild spending ways.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've heard this a lot, but he's not good at it. He averages less than .8 WAR per 162 games in his career. He's the definition of a replacement player. He has a career wRC+ of 80.

I expected Leury to be back, so not surprised or angry but giving him 3 guaranteed years over 5 million a year would be crazy for a guy who just isn't good. Being bad but versatile doesn't really make you valuable imo.

For a penny pinching organization they certainly love to give away 5-7 million a year to players who suck.

Werent you literally arguing like 2 hours ago that Leury is a fine bet to replicate Segura's production at 2B for 1/3 of the cost?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Just no imagination by this team.  Zero.  

Great teams find "super sub"  players within the scraps of their own farm system.     They don't give 3 year deals to these types of players. 

This is where I am at.  USe the 7 million elsewhere and use Romy as the super sub.  How much playing time does a super sub get in the playoff?  I'd wager, not a lot.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

classic white sox. fill a hole with a player who is replaceable by a lot of minimum salaried players and give the player 6-7 million a year as one of their acquisitions. this is how they allocate wages.

I wouldn't even hate Garcia at 1 year, maybe with a 2nd year option... but giving him 3 guaranteed years is wild. He was fine last year, homer was great so I give him a pass somewhat, but he's not a good player. His entire career tells us that.

100% agree.  And we have Romy Gonzalez who is a Leury starter kit with a bit more upside if it all clicks.  Zero reason to spend $6M on a bench piece (for three years no less) if we can allocate those funds elsewhere.  And I get I’m in the minority on Leury, but I’m a little concerned this is a sign we’ll be “spreading the wealth” this offseason with a bunch of C tier signings.  I pray I’m overreacting, but signing Leury to a multi year deal was the last thing I wanted us to do this offseason.

• Like 4

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is where I am at.  USe the 7 million elsewhere and use Romy as the super sub.  How much playing time does a super sub get in the playoff?  I'd wager, not a lot.

Leury is actually a good defender and provides switch hitting.  Romy provides neither.  This was such a no-brainer re-signing - no idea why half of you are up in arms.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I’m not the biggest Leury fan in the world but this is misleading. He was atrocious in the first couple years of his career but has improved substantially since then.

• Like 2

• raBBit unpinned this topic