White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Leury is actually a good defender and provides switch hitting.  Romy provides neither.  This was such a no-brainer re-signing - no idea why half of you are up in arms.  

Because I'd rather use the 7 million (if 20 million is really what he gets) elsewhere with a team that clearly doesn't like to spend money.  Why is that hard to understand?

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Leury is actually a good defender and provides switch hitting.  Romy provides neither.  This was such a no-brainer re-signing - no idea why half of you are up in arms.  

Leury has a career 76 wRC+ against RHP.  Yes he was solid last year, but he’s got a ways to go to prove he’s anything but a token “switch hitter”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

Soxtalk

the only place where you get hundreds of comments in minutes complaining about signing a guy who was worth 2+ WAR last year before any financial details come out.

I love this place 

I think people are complaining because they know that Leury's going to be the backup plan if they don't convert on FA signings. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

is leury our starting second baseman? 

I hear reports that he is going to play a deep 2nd and shallow right at the same time. We didn't have any money left for a right fielder after this signing, so leury gets to play 2nd and right at the same time.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

If Romy is good we can just trade Leury. 

How is Romy getting a real opportunity with Leury in front of him?  And if Leury regresses to his 2018/2019 version I doubt he’ll be in hot demand.  Really don’t think it’s a simple as you’re making it to out to be, but I’ll hold off further panicking until I see the actual terms of the deal.  Maybe it’s less than I’m anticipating.

I'm still skeptical the Sox will splurge and get their payroll in the $200M range, but you can't judge the offseason until it's over. Most expected Leury back. Not sure why we need a third year, but he built up a lot of goodwill with this organization and I rather them take care of one of their own.

Feel good about the fact he is viewed as utility, which is his strongest role / strength (versatility). You figured he would get in the $4M-$5M range, I guess we will now soon the final terms. It's not as though an extra million or two is going to put someone else out of the running.

Just now, jasonxctf said:

Mr. Consistency with the batting average over the past 5 seasons.

.270/.271/.279/.271/.267

If Leury's new-found plate discipline is real, he's probably one of the better utility players in baseball. That said, he's not an everyday-type player. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How is Romy getting a real opportunity with Leury in front of him?  And if Leury regresses to his 2018/2019 version I doubt he’ll be in hot demand.  Really don’t think it’s a simple as you’re making it to out to be, but I’ll hold off further panicking until I see the actual terms of the deal.  Maybe it’s less than I’m anticipating.

He'll be fine in Charlotte. If he's hitting 20 bombs by June again, and if sox team is healthy, they can just trade Leury. Romy is good and will beat out Mendick, and that's the place Romy should be right now - replacing Mendick on our bench. 

Just now, bmags said:

He'll be fine in Charlotte. If he's hitting 20 bombs by June again, and if sox team is healthy, they can just trade Leury. Romy is good and will beat out Mendick, and that's the place Romy should be right now - replacing Mendick on our bench. 

As long as this doesn’t preclude from other material additions, I’m fine with Romy being AAA insurance for a season.

• Like 1

• raBBit unpinned this topic