White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Because I'd rather use the 7 million (if 20 million is really what he gets) elsewhere with a team that clearly doesn't like to spend money.  Why is that hard to understand?

So if he gets $15M over 3 years its a great move, but $20 over 3 the sky is falling?  That is a difference $1.675M a year.  Less than 1% of the Sox projected 2022 payroll. Absolute chump change for a big league team. All things being equal, I too would prefer 3/$15M over 3/$20M.  But its negligible and the Sox aren't signing Leury to play RF or 2B everyday - two positions they are certain to still fill before Opening Day, 

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Leury has a career 76 wRC+ against RHP.  Yes he was solid last year, but he’s got a ways to go to prove he’s anything but a token “switch hitter”.

Fair.  Romy also has a long way to go to prove he is even a major leaguer.  So there's that.  He's also still in the org.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So if he gets $15M over 3 years its a great move, but $20 over 3 the sky is falling?  That is a difference $1.675M a year.  Less than 1% of the Sox projected 2022 payroll. Absolute chump change for a big league team. All things being equal, I too would prefer 3/$15M over 3/$20M.  But its negligible and the Sox aren't signing Leury to play RF or 2B everyday - two positions they are certain to still fill before Opening Day, 

I would only sign him for 3/12 I stated earlier.  Otherwise I'd let him walk and figure out the utility role with someone else

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So if he gets $15M over 3 years its a great move, but $20 over 3 the sky is falling?  That is a difference $1.675M a year.  Less than 1% of the Sox projected 2022 payroll. Absolute chump change for a big league team. 

But it isn't chump change for THIS big league team. 

Or have you forgotten when they folded like a cheap suit with Machado but were willing to spend money to bring in his friends?

Point is, a franchise this cheap needs to conserve every dollar for maximum impact, especially when they've underestimated the market already.

I'm waiting patiently for multiple left handed savages and no Leury ain't one of them. Neither is Segura.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Leury was on fire at the end of the season. He deserves it even though some of you are against the signing. He’s versatile and a good utility player. This means Romy and Mendick will not be used if it‘s not necessary and if they need to use them than you know something isn’t going right.

If that playoff expansion happens, I'm bettin we'll see plenty of Romy and Mendick during the regular season.

• raBBit unpinned this topic