White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here's the thing.  If Leury gives us what he gave us last year, he is worth the dollars as an insurance policy who can give us two weeks at a position if injuries happen, and days off if they don't.  If Leury gets hurt, or bombs this deal, this the type of deal that doesn't hurt a team, and the team still has Romy around to plug in if Leury fails somehow.  If we let Leury walk without replacing him, we are down to only Leury and Danny Mendick in this role, and that just seems like a really large risk to take.

Yep.  I'd prefer something like 2/$8M as well.  But Leury had a bit of a market, cause he's a useful bench piece.  The Sox have spent around $15M AAV for Graveman and Leury.  Based on the history, I get why people are scared.  But let's let hte rest of the offseason play out before we call this a "white sox move".  Both Leury and Graveman - while not sexy - were moves that fill holes.  Let's see who our RF and 2B are before we burn the place down over Leury getting paid $6.33M a year (maybe). 

It sure seemed to me for months that Leury would be back for a multitude of reasons - not the least of which is this is where he wants to be and he has a clear role on this club. 

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I think they’re spending 5 million on a backup because they did.

Spent it for a guy that’s gonna play a lot. Why he plays is the big question. And why they think here in Nov that he’s gonna play a lot. Maybe they expect continuing to fail this winter. Maybe trading Kimbrel is their only best remaining plan.

13 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Just pushing the narrative that our payroll is already at an all time high and we extended Lance Lynn already so that was pretty much a FA signing. After seeing the contracts the big FAs got, no chance the Sox we’re going to be involved. Preaching the don’t judge the off season til it’s over. And yes floating the idea of Vaughn at second. 

Your leaving out the fact that none of them are happy with where the team is at now and are worried with the players that are left....but I guess it's easy to skip over that part. 

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I think they’re spending 5 million on a backup because they did.

Just saying it looks to me that they are going in house, and Leury is the insurance policy. Wouldn't mind it if means Marcus Stroman is 

added to the starting rotation.

33 minutes ago, Moncada said:

vomiting-yaks.gif

Horrible, borderline horrific signing.   He is just barely a serviceable bench guy let alone a a starter (which this makes him).   Just horrible that they sign Leury to be the starter at 2B 

He just put up 2 fWAR in about 2/3 of a season at bats, so that would indicate he's very much a serviceable bench piece.  And he isn't the starter.  He wasn't the starter last year (they literally acquired Cesar so he wouldn't be), and he's not going to be in 22 either (Fegan has confirmed as such). 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. Even if the White Sox sign a 2b and an RF, Leury has a good chance of starting opening day because what are the odds that 8 positions stay healthy throughout the spring?

Well it's basically a slam dunk he starts on opening day (barring injury) because TA has to serve a 2-game suspension.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. Even if the White Sox sign a 2b and an RF, Leury has a good chance of starting opening day because what are the odds that 8 positions stay healthy throughout the spring?

He’s starting opening day because TA is suspended for 2 games.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, zisk said:

Why spend 5 million a year on a back up? in case Romy  and Gavin  and Jake fail. You wouldn't spend that kind of money for a

back up if you sign Semian or Taylor or Conforto. At least the Sox wouldn't.

Because it isn't 1977 anymore, and this is what this level of players costs these days.

my personal belief is that there will be a 3rd year team option with buy-out, but the agent is likely the one who put it out first. The length is the winner for leury. 

I hope he did well, to be a 6+ position switch hitter takes extraordinary effort. Hope he gives us a few more walk-offs, playoff cheers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

Your leaving out the fact that none of them are happy with where the team is at now and are worried with the players that are left....but I guess it's easy to skip over that part. 

Only one of them out of three was actually pissed, the other two seemed like they were already justifying why there was lack of spending on the organization end. I can’t remember their names.

Just now, hi8is said:

A little over 3m per WAR if he sustains 2 per season… which would be great value going by average signing rates calculated on a per WAR projected basis.

Historically he's unlikely to keep up that performance - not because he's not good enough to, but because he also hits the IL a lot. So maybe you're paying $4.25/WAR, which still isnt' bad. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

TA is also suspended the first series.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He just put up 2 fWAR in about 2/3 of a season at bats, so that would indicate he's very much a serviceable bench piece.  And he isn't the starter.  He wasn't the starter last year (they literally acquired Cesar so he wouldn't be), and he's not going to be in 22 either (Fegan has confirmed as such). 

Yet he WAS the starter in the playoffs.  And will be the starter opening day.  Not bc of injuries, but bc they signed him as a starter 

• raBBit unpinned this topic