White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

“Which screenshot deserves 6.90m views?”

It was a thread at Quora.  Just reading this crazy back and forth about lying over errors versus bad plays…I actually felt like I was high.

Backwards, it says “y’all went to high school, but I went to school high.”

https://www.quora.com/Which-screenshot-deserves-6-90m-views

Actually, reading through all the responses, it seems that someone was attempting to send a coded message, because Treasure White spelled backwards is White Treasure, so not even sure what to make of it. 

Time to take a self-imposed break from the board until the lockout is over…posting too much these days and no point in getting upset until we see the final 25 man roster.

A lot of truth here brother - mainly in the last part of your message. I did get your initial post and the nuances but still have no clue why you posted it here 😆

I think this is a useful exercise.

The White Sox acquire a RF and a 2B. The bench is Vaughn, Leury, Engel. Romy is in the minors but comes up any time there is an IL trip, and breaks camp with the team because of Anderson’s suspension.

The White Sox acquire a RF but no 2b. The bench is Vaughn, Engel, Romy. Is is unclear what happens if they need another IF - Burger probably breaks camp with the team, but maybe Yolbert is the primary guy if there is a long term infield injury?

The White Sox acquire a 2b but no RF. The bench is Leury, Romy, Engel. Generally this is tolerable, Burger probably breaks camp with the team due to Anderson’s suspension. Bench is pretty flexible but not clear who comes up if there is a long term injury other than Burger.

The White Sox acquire neither. The bench is Romy, Engel, and Burger I guess? Not clear who the backup SS is for the first games during Anderson’s suspension. Moncada to 2b, Burger in at 3b probably, with the survivor of Romy/Leury to SS. Anyone gets hurt and team will immediately be looking to sign someone off the scrap heap.

All of these assume 1 bench spot goes to a catcher not discussed here. Anything I missed?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox acquire a RF and a 2B. The bench is Vaughn, Leury, Engel. Romy is in the minors but comes up any time there is an IL trip, and breaks camp with the team because of Anderson’s suspension.

I’m confident this will be what occurs and no, you didn’t miss anything.

Get ready for a long boring period of baseball and Soxtalk history.

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’m confident this will be what occurs and no, you didn’t miss anything.

Get ready for a long boring period of baseball and Soxtalk history.

For here I didn’t want to offer a guess, just see how things shaped up. I did find it interesting that the bench seems to shape up better if they bring in an infielder rather than an outfielder. Standing pat though is almost intolerably bad, that roster wouldn’t survive spring training.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

It wouldn’t prevent other  talent from signing. But it is certainly an expensive backup, so you have to wonder what their intentions are as far as starters. If as a plan B they are searching for bridge players to guys like Cespedes/Rodriguez/Montgomery/ Sanchez instead of top talent  today that they may have missed out on. Usually backups are signed after the starters. There was no rush to do this. I am hoping they are just showing a money is no object approach? But that’s a leap of faith. My best bet is that Kimbrel  is traded  for a Segura type, and they have a bridge plan in RF

My hope is Conforto for RF and a bridge guy at 2B.  Cespedes hasn’t shown enough to be considered in the major league plans and Colas isn’t even in the organization yet.  The next guy with a semblance of hope of being an everyday guy is Mieses and he’s both a long-shot and quite a ways off.

At least with 2B you have Rodriguez who could maybe be ready by 2023 and possibly Sanchez in some capacity as soon as next year.  Someone like Segura (if a big left-handed bat is added elsewhere) would be a good solve for a year.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My hope is Conforto for RF and a bridge guy at 2B.  Cespedes hasn’t shown enough to be considered in the major league plans and Colas isn’t even in the organization yet.  The next guy with a semblance of hope of being an everyday guy is Mieses and he’s both a long-shot and quite a ways off.

At least with 2B you have Rodriguez who could maybe be ready by 2023 and possibly Sanchez in some capacity as soon as next year.  Someone like Segura (if a big left-handed bat is added elsewhere) would be a good solve for a year.

I’m hoping we end up with the Cuban left handed Nick Madrigal, eventually. 😆

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox acquire a RF but no 2b. The bench is Vaughn, Engel, Romy. Is is unclear what happens if they need another IF - Burger probably breaks camp with the team, but maybe Yolbert is the primary guy if there is a long term infield injury?

The White Sox acquire a 2b but no RF. The bench is Leury, Romy, Engel. Generally this is tolerable, Burger probably breaks camp with the team due to Anderson’s suspension. Bench is pretty flexible but not clear who comes up if there is a long term injury other than Burger.

The White Sox acquire neither. The bench is Romy, Engel, and Burger I guess? Not clear who the backup SS is for the first games during Anderson’s suspension. Moncada to 2b, Burger in at 3b probably, with the survivor of Romy/Leury to SS. Anyone gets hurt and team will immediately be looking to sign someone off the scrap heap.

All of these assume 1 bench spot goes to a catcher not discussed here. Anything I missed?

Romy can play SS, Mendick too. But realistically they just slide Leury to SS and play Romy there.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

This deserves it's own thread

I think you have to include Adolfo in this discussion as well. Assuming he isn’t moved for something, he is out of options. We’ve see in the past how that can give a guy a slight edge, plus he did hit 25 HR’s last season. I’m not expecting him to stick around, but he might actually have a little value if he looks like he can hold his own in ST.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

Are you suggesting we start Sheets over Vaughn?

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Appears so. 

I love Sheets, but we need to stop burning Vaughn’s control as a role player.  Either he starts on Opening Day or he should begin the season in AAA and get us back a year of service time.  I’d personally rather him be out starting DH, but could definitely see Tony use him as a bench piece.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I love Sheets, but we need to stop burning Vaughn’s control as a role player.  Either he starts on Opening Day or he should begin the season in AAA and get us back a year of service time.  I’d personally rather him be out starting DH, but could definitely see Tony use him as a bench piece.

I think he should be the near everyday LF myself. But I’d mix him in around the Diamond a day or two a week while he’s young. Sitting on the bench isn’t an option IMO. 

• Like 2

I think regardless of what happens, the FO will add either a 2B or RF or both. Not sure what quality but at least a save face move(s).

Well, I don’t think Chuck Garfield floated Andrew Vaughn at 2B without someone in the organization discussing it.

Still hope they can either dump Kimbrel for Segura or sign someone who can at least field decently at 2B.

I think there is a far greater possibility they sign Schwarber or Pederson than Conforto.

This lineup would be very good.

(2022 B Ref OPS Projection / # of starts)

1. SS Anderson (.809 / 140)
  2. 3B Moncada # (.801 / 140)
  3. CF Robert (.833 / 140)
  4. DH Schwarber ^ (.833 / 140) - FA
  5. 1B Abreu (.819 /140)
  6. C Grandal # (.824 / 90 + 22 DH)
  7. LF Jimenez (.805 130)
  8. RF Sheets ^ (.779 100)
  9. 2B Segura (.742 120) - Kimbrel
  • 1B LF/RF Vaughn (.729 70)
  • RF/CF Engel (.737 70)
  • 2B SS 3B Garcia # (.701 86)
  • C Collins (.688 70)
Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well, I don’t think Chuck Garfield floated Andrew Vaughn at 2B without someone in the organization discussing it.

Still hope they can either dump Kimbrel for Segura or sign someone who can at least field decently at 2B.

I think there is a far greater possibility they sign Schwarber or Pederson than Conforto.

This lineup would be very good.

(2022 B Ref OPS Projection)

1. SS Anderson (.809)
  2. 3B Moncada # (.801)
  3. CF Robert (.833)
  4. DH Schwarber ^ (.833) - FA
  5. 1B Abreu (.819)
  6. C Grandal # (.824)
  7. LF Jimenez (.805)
  8. RF Sheets ^ (.779)
  9. 2B Segura (.742) - For Kimbrel
  • 1B LF/RF Vaughn (.729)
  • RF/CF Engel (.737)
  • 2B SS 3B Garcia # (.701)
  • C Collins (.688)

You guys are so weird with this and merkin. They say dumb shit all the time. They aren't sending cold war spy messages to be deciphered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s a no brainer to me that if Vaughn isn’t getting regular AB’s he needs to be traded. That decision needs to be made before constructing the final roster imo. Keeping Vaughn on the bench to only (at best) get AB’s against lefties would be crazy to me. 

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

It’s a no brainer to me that if Vaughn isn’t getting regular AB’s he needs to be traded. That decision needs to be made before constructing the final roster imo. Keeping Vaughn on the bench to only (at best) get AB’s against lefties would be crazy to me. 

Well more ABs than that are available when Eloy, Engel, Leury, or Abreu get hurt too. While I see your point, that depth would likely still be used heavily.

• raBBit unpinned this topic