White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well more ABs than that are available when Eloy, Engel, Leury, or Abreu get hurt too. While I see your point, that depth would likely still be used heavily.

Unless the Sox change their training philosophy my guess is injuries could still occur. It might be a coincidence that so many guys go down. The team should look into all the injuries and decide whether mediocre training contributed to the hurts. Maybe the injuries were all unavoidable but so many guys were out at times.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

He's going to be a utility player.  He's pretty valuable and bailed the Sox out last year and has shown the ability to come through in the clutch.  I have no problem with them locking him up now.  It would have become much more difficult after the lockout.

Why?

2 minutes ago, JPR said:

Love this move.  Cesar came over with 21 home runs and proceeded to hit zero home runs with Chicago , total clown .  Garcia deserves 2B.  Chicago has missed on the top free agents so get ready for the Garcia.

Cesar sucked but he actually hit a home run against the Cubs that I saw in person (believe he hit two in that series).  He actually had a great first two weeks with the Sox before proceeding to suck.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I think if a salary floor is put in, guys like Leury will end up getting more just cause the likes of the Pirates will need to sign guys as filler to reach the floor. 

I think a majority of MLB teams sure seem to be betting against any sort of salary floor next year. 

29 minutes ago, JPR said:

Love this move.  Cesar came over with 21 home runs and proceeded to hit zero home runs with Chicago , total clown .  Garcia deserves 2B.  Chicago has missed on the top free agents so get ready for the Garcia.

Untrue I believe he hit 3hr. 2 against the Cubs and 1 against the bluejays iirc.

39 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

I do think it's funny that Leury Legend is now the de facto nickname for Leury. I always thought that nickname was said sarcastically, but not anymore it seems. 

Edited by chw42
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think a majority of MLB teams sure seem to be betting against any sort of salary floor next year. 

I would be willing to bet that if there is a salary floor in the next contract it will be phased in slowly and probably not even be in force this season.  Assuming the CBA negotiations bump up against or into spring training there is no reasonable way to implement in 2022.

This is a great deal for the WSox.  I'm sure they prefer Leury isn't their every day 2B and he's their utility guy as he's been....but I don't mind him being in the mix in case all of the other clearly better options go sour.

Welcome back, Leury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

All that hand-wringing for a $5.5M AAV.  Lolz. 

weren't you telling us the Sox work within a very tight budget and fans should understand that when evaluating potential signings? If the Sox had 20-25 million to spend, they just spent 20-25% of it on a utility player. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

weren't you telling us the Sox work within a very tight budget and fans should understand that when evaluating potential signings? If the Sox had 20-25 million to spend, they just spent 20-25% of it on a utility player. 

Yes, I did.  And I also think Leury is worth $5.5M AAV on this club as it fits into the overall picture.  A year too long probably, but such is life in free agency.  The Sox do operate within a strict budget that has certainly expanded as they've gotten better, and I am not going to nitpick a $5.5M AAV for a guy that has a clear role on this club.  This signing is a complete non-issue.  I'd much rather have Leury on the roster than not considering the depth behind him is Mendick and a guy we know next to nothing about in Romy (tho, I do like him - but I like him much more as AAA depth).   

Your ability to jump back and forth on stances and argue them tooth and nail is truly amazing stuff. Kudos.  

23 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I love it, personally. I don't think he'll be a starter. Leury has been significantly better the last 3 years, and $5.5 million a year seems like a steal for a proven ML utility player who can play 6 positions and give you probably 1.5-2 WAR. 

This, but I hope he provides under 2 WAR, due to the face that he is playing 80-100 games, and is not among the team leaders in games played like he was last year due to lack of injuries and lack of other depth. 

Thats also why they should keep Sheets Vaughn and others, retain quality depth who will contribute now and even more next year when opportunities arise.

As long as he provides good defense, hits over .700 OPS, that is what matters. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men

• raBBit unpinned this topic