White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean, if you want to b**** about allocation of resources you can start and end with the bullpen. Paying your primary backup at CF and SS 5.5 million per is not the place to start.

Agreed, although the summation of the stupid additions are exactly the reason(s) why this org can't/won't spend at the top of the market.

Whats frustrating is that they never seem to learn anything, but rather, they keep squandering cash on the little things, while cheaping out on the big ticket items. Subtract Kimbrel's 2021 salary/what they'll have to eat on his 2022 salary, plus whatever they'll spend on a mediocre 2B could go a long way to buying an actual difference maker. Or locking up Giolito.

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Seems to prove the point that he's pretty valuable to the Sox, right?

is he though? compared to other, more talented players? he was the best option on the market for one team, the team who lately seems to be bargain shopping 😂

6 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

is he though? compared to other, more talented players? he was the best option on the market for one team, the team who lately seems to be bargain shopping 😂

Well I would say his versatility let’s us carry more of our big corner bats on the ML roster since he flexed across infield/outfield so well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Did you sleep through last season?  Leury was incredibly valuable last year.  He can play anywhere and while he isn't like a plus offensive player, he isn't a black hole either.  He is pretty much perfectly suited for a utility role.  Which is what the Sox signed him to be according to all reports.  Also the Sox have never really pretended that he wasn't a utility player.

He had to play too much last year, but with out him it would have been more Mendick or Hamilton.  Or some other type of roster filler guy they had to pick up.  Garcia isn't a world beater, but he is a guy that you need on your team.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This, but I hope he provides under 2 WAR, due to the face that he is playing 80-100 games, and is not among the team leaders in games played like he was last year due to lack of injuries and lack of other depth. 

Thats also why they should keep Sheets Vaughn and others, retain quality depth who will contribute now and even more next year when opportunities arise.

As long as he provides good defense, hits over .700 OPS, that is what matters. 

You're probably exactly right on the number of games. I hope. We do need him for 80, though, which is why I think this move is so crucial, and I think it's a savvier move than it appears because of the recent way teams have changed philosophically on "everyday" players. Nobody seems to play more than 140 games a year as a starter anymore, and many starters play 130, so there's no reason to think Leury won't get 15 starts at a handful of positions off the bench.

• raBBit unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, Sambuca said:

What else can we discuss about Leury?  

Bleacher Report had an article referring to Leury as a good insurance policy.  I think that term fits well with my view of him.  He is the human version of a Swiss Army Knife.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:36 AM, Sarava said:

I'm cool with him coming back as a fill-in guy. He excels in that role. But if he's our starting 2B, then we have a pretty significant downgrade from Nick Madrigal.

Significant? Maybe not. 

Leury’s 2021 WAR for 162 games would be 2.7

Nick has a career per 162 WAR so far of 3.3

I get the “Nick will improve” mantra, but that improvement is really contingent on him developing one tool - power - a tool he’s never really had much of. If he has limited power his per 162 WAR really has a ceiling of 4. He certainly won’t hit for much higher of a career average. We will see, though.

10 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Significant? Maybe not. 

Leury’s 2021 WAR for 162 games would be 2.7

Nick has a career per 162 WAR so far of 3.3

I get the “Nick will improve” mantra, but that improvement is really contingent on him developing one tool - power - a tool he’s never really had much of. If he has limited power his per 162 WAR really has a ceiling of 4. He certainly won’t hit for much higher of a career average. We will see, though.

No, Madrigal needs to develop the tool of health.

• Like 1