White Sox sign Leury Garcia to 3 year deal

raBBit

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Let’s reverse engineer this. If the Sox signed Semien or Escobar, and an everyday legit RF, would Garcia still be signed here for 3 years?  

Gotta believe things are not real optimistic in the war room, based on this signing.

Based on the injury history of our players, I would hope so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox committed 1 error in the playoffs, and it was by Tim Anderson.

Leury is not exactly known for his defensive highlights…even if bad routes, throwing to the wrong bases and related mental mistakes usually don’t show up in the boxscores.

I just hope Hahn has a press conference to announce it.

Hold that thought…there are only 1-2 in the media covering the Sox that will challenge him directly on anything, so it would be pointless as usual.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Based on the injury history of our players, I would hope so.

And people call me gloomy. But the injury history is def real. I don’t think a FO will outlay millions up front based on forcasting a lot of injuries though. More to it than that Id reckon.  To specifically address the contention however, one might think a Garcia signing after a Semien and RF signing would be a luxurious Yankees type spree 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

What's the AAV? I feel like if they gave him three years they should get a discount on AAV. Anything more than 18 million and I'm iffy. If they got him for 3/18 or something that's fine. But 3/22 or something feels like an overpay. I know we're "just" talking 2-4 million here and what's the difference but for the end of roster types that shit adds up and can prevent other moves.

5 minutes ago, Moncada said:

You all can defend Leury all you want but he is a horrible starter and a very bad signing if it is as as starter which it appears so for now.  

Now if it is to play 1 or 2 games a week as a backup, barring injuries, good signing then.  

This isn't defending Leury as much as it is knocking down make believe strawmen, considering you keep posting falsehoods.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What's the AAV? I feel like if they gave him three years they should get a discount on AAV. Anything more than 18 million and I'm iffy. If they got him for 3/18 or something that's fine. But 3/22 or something feels like an overpay. I know we're "just" talking 2-4 million here and what's the difference but for the end of roster types that shit adds up and can prevent other moves.

@hi8is mentioned that someone on Spanish twitter is claiming that it’s $16.3 million.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well maybe if the guys who were supposed to start didn’t get injured so often, then he wouldn’t get as much playing time

To expect people to welcome a player signing who plays in the event that the frontliners are hurt, is not fair to expect. People would be happy about Garcia signing after the holes are plugged with real ballers. Which again, a Garcia signing probably wouldn’t even  happen in that event. Which is the gnawing fear. That it possibly means the Sox  aren’t optimistic that the real ballers are arriving. A Garcia signing just to cover for injured front line players is something a team does where money is no object. Usually nominal type utility guys are brought up for that stuff. It’s fairly easy to find nominal backups.

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

To expect people to welcome a player signing who plays in the event that the frontliners are hurt, is not fair to expect. People would be happy about Garcia signing after the holes are plugged with real ballers. Which again, a Garcia signing probably wouldn’t even  happen in that event. Which is the gnawing fear. That it possibly means the Sox  aren’t optimistic that the real ballers are arriving. A Garcia signing just to cover for injured front line players is something a team does where money is no object. Usually nominal type utility guys are brought up for that stuff. It’s fairly easy to find nominal backups.

No part of this is an "exciting" signing.  It is a part of roster building.  I get the worry that he will play too much, but you also need guys like this around for when guys like Eloy decide to run through walls, or someone else pulls something.

8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

My cousin knew a guy who said Mendick is the starter.  Can you believe that?  Outrageous.  Also, watch out for hypodermic needles with AIDS in the gas pump handles downtown, my other cousin said the ISISes are doing it

Was that guy sitting on a southwest flight next to TLR?

• raBBit unpinned this topic