Report: MLB used two baseballs last year

Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

With the White Sox lack of power and elite pitching for the majority of the season, can we speculate they were mostly playing with the “dead” ball?

Then all of a sudden they spent a month right after the break leading the league in HR, then Eloy and others had a complete power outage.

Personally, I’m thinking about all the walks in the playoffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then all of a sudden they spent a month right after the break leading the league in HR, then Eloy and others had a complete power outage.

Personally, I’m thinking about all the walks in the playoffs.

It's also weird how the Red Sox looked like they could score 20 runs every game against the Astros then all of a sudden they couldn't score a run to save their lives in the last 3 games of the ALCS. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

?

he's saying your correlations aren't the same. If Kimbrel was getting hurt by the bouncy ball, then cesar's power numbers should have maintained on the sox. Instead Kimbrel was getting crushed with homers while cesar's power evaporated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

?

One hitter came to the white Sox and his offense vanished.

One pitcher came to the White Sox and offense against him exploded.

Which did the White Sox have, the happy fun ball for more offense or the dead ball for less offense? You can explain one of the two guys, not both. The other guy just sucked.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

he's saying your correlations aren't the same. If Kimbrel was getting hurt by the bouncy ball, then cesar's power numbers should have maintained on the sox. Instead Kimbrel was getting crushed with homers while cesar's power evaporated.

So what is the explanation for the wild variations in both players' performances?

Just now, poppysox said:

So what is the explanation for the wild variations in both players' performances?

I mean that happens all the time. 1st half Jermaine Dye in 2009 had a 142 wRC+ and looked like he was the same old all star, 2nd half it cratered to 56 wRC+ and his career was over. Baseball.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean that happens all the time. 1st half Jermaine Dye in 2009 had a 142 wRC+ and looked like he was the same old all star, 2nd half it cratered to 56 wRC+ and his career was over. Baseball.

In the case of Kimbrel, I hope you are wrong.  If it wasn't a jacked ball or a shortened season we have no story to help sell him.

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would think his career would be enough to sell him 

I would hope you are correct but most folks here have some doubts.  I actually have spoken of being confident that RH would not have extended him without being very sure he can unload for a decent value.  After all...he could have bought himself out of the problem for $1 million.  I still will feel better once the deed has been accomplished.

53 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would hope you are correct but most folks here have some doubts.  I actually have spoken of being confident that RH would not have extended him without being very sure he can unload for a decent value.  After all...he could have bought himself out of the problem for $1 million.  I still will feel better once the deed has been accomplished.

My belief is it won't be an issue. Teams can still look at his crap period with the sox and see a pitcher striking out 39% of batters, good for 3rd in the league over that time period with the sox, and think that they can put that to use more effectively than the sox.

I understand using two or more suppliers but the specifications have to be the same. Also, mix balls from both manufacturer at every game. Then it's random chance from pitch to pitch. But sending all of manufacturer A to that stadium and all of manufacturer B to a different stadium isn't good practice.