Chris Taylor Resigns with the Dodgers

AJ'S Cousin

Dodgers To Re-Sign Chris Taylor

By Anthony Franco |  at 

3:44 pm: The Dodgers and Taylor are in agreement, pending a physical, reports Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic (Twitter link).

3:35 pm: The Dodgers are making progress on a deal to bring Chris Taylor back to Los Angeles, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN (on Twitter). Entering the offseason, MLBTR named Taylor the league’s #16 free agent, forecasting a four-year, $64MM guarantee.

Does anyone else's mind work this way when seeing a thread title.....Taylor resigns from the Dodgers?  Isn't he a free agent or maybe that is a coach that has resigned.....oooooh He has signed again with the Dodgers.  Sorry for the Emily Latella moment....NEVER MIND.

18 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Does this make it more likely that we trade for Gavin Lux?

@Harold's Leg Lift

Precisely what I had been thinking even before they signed Taylor.

Not sure that a 3 player package of Kimbrel, Keuchel and Vaughn gets a deal for Lux and Bellinger done but I'd  start there.

Second base and RF solved in one deal. OK, pinch me, I was dreaming.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tray said:

Precisely what I had been thinking even before they signed Taylor.

Not sure that a 3 player package of Kimbrel, Keuchel and Vaughn gets a deal for Lutz and Bellinger done but I'd  start there.

Second base and RF solved in one deal. OK, pinch me, I was dreaming.

No way on God's green earth that works....Kimbrel, Vaughn and Crochet, they would at least consider.   Briefly.   Unless they already have figured out what's wrong with Keuchel.  Physical declines, those are clearly much harder to fix.

And Bellinger can play CF.  Vaughn, not so much.   You can't shift Taylor to the OF if you need him for 2B (assuming a Lux trade, as you propose.)

Lux is undoubtedly more valuable (to LAD) due to his positional flexibility than Vaughn, since they have Muncy and Taylor returning as well.   So, once again, CF is a priority.  Just doesn't work from LA perspective.

Unless it was for Hendriks and NOT Kimbrel.   Then the White Sox have likely created yet another problem in their bullpen, although they do now at least have Graveman for insurance.

You would have to overwhelm them with an offer for limited control and becoming more expensive Bellinger, essentially.   Can't be both Dodgers.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No way on God's green earth that works...

I know, but the Dodgers expressed frustration with Lux and Bellinger at certain points last season, and hey, they have Taylor for second and Mookie for Right, so it's not like they would be left with any holes to fill.

1 minute ago, tray said:

I know, but the Dodgers expressed frustration with Lux and Bellinger at certain points last season, and hey, they have Taylor for second and Mookie for Right, so it's not like they would be left with any holes to fill.

Sure, but you don't sell a former MVP for 50-65 cents on the dollar when not forced to.

Unless you're simply overwhelmed with an offer from another team.

You do what we might be forced to with Kimbrel, wait for a rebound.  The problem with that theory for the Sox is it takes save opportunities away from Hendriks, in all likelihood.

Looked at Lux’s numbers. Luery’s are better. Yes, he’s only 24. Maybe more upside but I  wouldn’t sell the farm to get him unless Bellinger is part of the deal. Yes, we need a 2nd baseman, yes we need a right fielder, and another starter if Katz privately says Kuechel is done as a starter. Marte would have been a double solution, speed, which we desperately need. And right field. If you look at the numbers people got, Marte was a bargain. Now Marte would not of solved our 2nd base problem, but with Marte, I could of lived with a Garcia/Gonzalez and whoever at 2nd. Marte would of cost us nothing but money. BUT we’re also looking to do things cheaper. The way we’ve handled this year so far, somebody must of put a gun to Hahn’s head and forced him to sign Hendriks. Thank God someone did. 

I still believe in Christmas Miracles and Hahn will do something 

4 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Looked at Lux’s numbers. Luery’s are better. Yes, he’s only 24. Maybe more upside but I  wouldn’t sell the farm to get him unless Bellinger is part of the deal. Yes, we need a 2nd baseman, yes we need a right fielder, and another starter if Katz privately says Kuechel is done as a starter. Marte would have been a double solution, speed, which we desperately need. And right field. If you look at the numbers people got, Marte was a bargain. Now Marte would not of solved our 2nd base problem, but with Marte, I could of lived with a Garcia/Gonzalez and whoever at 2nd. Marte would of cost us nothing but money. BUT we’re also looking to do things cheaper. The way we’ve handled this year so far, somebody must of put a gun to Hahn’s head and forced him to sign Hendriks. Thank God someone did. 

I still believe in Christmas Miracles and Hahn will do something 

To sign Hendriks or offer the QO to Kimbrel, or both?

That was a bit of a head-scratcher for the White Sox to spend top of the market rates for a closer...of course, ultimately, it went from a perceived strength to a not a weakness, but a definite vulnerability (see bed wetting against Astros by pretty much everyone but Tepera.)

4 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Because we panicked at the price of the RF and/or SP market and had to cheapen out at 2B to make the math work elsewhere once there's a CBA.

What do I win?

You win nothing… because we’re signing a RF… trading for a SP… and a 2B.

We signed a fair value utility player… not an every day player.

Fight me. 😆

Edited by hi8is
Incase it was not clear - I am most certainly joking and am not inviting any fight. Oh joy.
  • Like 1