Verlander MAY not be Astro

Chisoxfn

16 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Dallas ain’t going anywhere my guy 

You're probably right. And this is part of the problem we face with Reinsdorf. When they make a bad signing (Keuchel should of never been signed, but that's on Hahn/KW, not Jerry), it limps the team for the duration of that contract. That shouldn't be the case in a major market.

The Sox are in Chicago, not Kansas City or Oakland. They should have a top 10 payroll every year. Here is the White Sox team payroll rank the last 10 years (opening day payrolls):

2021 15th

2020 18th

2019 26th

2018 29th

2017 24th

2016 20th

2015 15th

2014 20th

2013 8th

2012 11th

1 year of the last 10 in the top 10, and it was 9 years ago. The 'cheap narrative' looks pretty accurate according to this list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

You're probably right. And this is part of the problem we face with Reinsdorf. When they make a bad signing (Keuchel should of never been signed, but that's on Hahn/KW, not Jerry), it limps the team for the duration of that contract. That shouldn't be the case in a major market.

The Sox are in Chicago, not Kansas City or Oakland. They should have a top 10 payroll every year. Here is the White Sox team payroll rank the last 10 years (opening day payrolls):

2021 15th

2020 18th

2019 26th

2018 29th

2017 24th

2016 20th

2015 15th

2014 20th

2013 8th

2012 11th

1 year of the last 10 in the top 10, and it was 9 years ago. The 'cheap narrative' looks pretty accurate according to this list.

They were rebuilding/tanking for much of this time, though.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They were attempting to compete 2010 through mid 2016…

Yes, I agree that it makes sense to look at their payrolls when they're attempting to compete rather than dinging them for having low payrolls during years when it was literally the point to have low payrolls.  Here's their payroll ranks in years before the above chart, i.e. the last time they were really in a contending period.

2005:  13th

2006:  4th

2007:  5th

2008:  5th

2009:  12th

2010:  7th

2011:  5th

Man, it's like Groundhog Day around here sometimes.  The point is, the Sox have a history of top-of-market payrolls during contention periods.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

5 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

They were rebuilding/tanking for much of this time, though.

Probably about 1/3 of that time - 3 or 4 years out of 10. Less than half.

But that's part of my point. Through that time of the very low payrolls, they promised the money would be spent. 

So.... on top of having an expected payroll for a team in Chicago (expecting top 10 is reasonable IMO), they should have a few hundred million dollars to play with on top of that. Remember - the money they hoarded during the rebuild years is going to be spent?

It hasn't been spent yet. Maybe it will be at some point. A Bryce Harper signing would of satisfied that promise nicely. Manny Machado. Marcus Semien. There's a lot of signings that would of qualified.

But some people moving the goalposts and acting like moving up the 15th payroll, or even if they slightly nudge in to the top 10 in 2022 satisfies that. I'm sorry, but it doesn't even come close to satisfying that promise.

There's still time. but my ultimate point was they aren't sniffing Verlander and a 2 year 50 mil deal, and I think we all know that is true.

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yes, I agree that it makes sense to look at their payrolls when they're attempting to compete rather than dinging them for having low payrolls during years when it was literally the point to have low payrolls.  Here's their payroll ranks in years before the above chart, i.e. the last time they were really in a contending period.

2005:  13th

2006:  4th

2007:  5th

2008:  5th

2009:  12th

2010:  7th

2011:  5th

Man, it's like Groundhog Day around here sometimes.  The point is, the Sox have a history of top-of-market payrolls during contention periods.

I do agree Jerry has spent money in the past. But you're going an awful long time my friend. We can go even further back and I can't tell you how flipping excited I was when they signed Albert Belle. Or Carlton Fisk when Jerry was new to the Sox.

2 hours ago, Sarava said:

I do agree Jerry has spent money in the past. But you're going an awful long time my friend. We can go even further back and I can't tell you how flipping excited I was when they signed Albert Belle. Or Carlton Fisk when Jerry was new to the Sox.

2011 was all about Adam Dunn, and that was a doozy.

He did “okay” after that season, but it almost singlehandedly handedly destroyed the post 2005 Sox.  Guillen going AWOL and JR cutting ties with Buehrle, KW soon thereafter got his promotion upstairs and the lost Robin Ventura wandering in the wilderness years of 2013-2016.  Using the popular Robin as cover with the fans for their own ineptitude.  Shark and Shields trades, among others…as well as Cabrera/LaRoche/Robertson and Sale destroying the ‘83 throwback jerseys due to lack of stretchiness.

The only positive was pretty much Abreu and individual seasons of Eaton and Avi.  Danks imploding into a ball of fire.

Edited by caulfield12