The Second Base Options (as it stands)

bmags

15 hours ago, bmags said:

Trying to square the idea that Sox are too one dimensional corner guys outlook with the Sox should sign a one dimensional corner guy for buku bucks and trade the cheap one for the less expensive position to buy.

Continues to make less than no sense. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tray said:

That was what Steve Stone said on air almost every time Vaughn  came to the plate last season.  That eventually got old for me and  when it did, I expressed that here. Some disagreed which is fine.  IMO, former players/Announcers are sometimes right and other times their  opinions are no more valuable than your own. Recall Hawk Harrelson promoting Brent Morel, Todd Frazier, Youklis, and others beyond anything that they eventually ended up contributing for our Sox.

Outfield? I think Vaughn is too slow to be a full-time  outfielder on any MLB team.   1B ?  Abreu has than sewn that up for another few years.  DH? IMO, Sheets has decent potential value as a DH. That opinion is based  mainly on what I saw ("eye test") last season after watching most of the  games at the park or on TV. .  Sheets adjusted to outside pitches very well.  Another thing was how Sheets performed in clutch at bats.  That is an intangible that few players, like Eloy  and TA seem to have and something I think Sheets has.

As far as Vaughn, he likely will have another year on the WSox to prove doubters like me wrong (which would be fine with me). As of now though,  I just do not think he has much trade value as an outfielder or as a 1B/DH.  Vaughn's .235 BA and 15 HR in 417 ABs will  not jump off the stat sheet for GM's looking to add power to their line-up. If  the Dodgers or another West coast team want Vaughn (or if he prefers playing for a team closer to his home) I would try to make a deal.

Yes, everyone who posts here knows you hate Vaughn. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Jimenez/Vaughn, Robert, Schwarber sounds like a really tough situation for White Sox pitchers. Robert is excellent defensively, but also coming off a massive hip injury which could cost him some speed permanently. The others are just various flavors of bad.

Right. Castellanos and Schwarber should be non starters. They’re awful defenders. Flanking Robert with 2 of Eloy, Vaughn, Castellanos and Schwarber is asking for Serious and consistent trouble. Continue to refuse to believe the Sox would make that stupid of a decision at this juncture. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right. Castellanos and Schwarber should be non starters. They’re awful defenders. Flanking Robert with 2 of Eloy, Vaughn, Castellanos and Schwarber is asking for Serious and consistent trouble. Continue to refuse to believe the Sox would make that stupid of a decision at this juncture. 

I don’t man. I feel like they could be stupid and do it. It wouldn’t really shock me.

Also imagine the Sox trading a cost controlled solid 2B that was a great team fit (on the field), a former top 5 pick and quick mover for literally nothing, and then turning around the next season and trading your cost controlled future middle of the order bat who was also a top 5 pick for a 2B. Lol. It’s literally comical to imagine. I would lose so much faith. Doubling down on stupid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

Maybe sacrifice defense for the HR power that Eloy, Robert and Schwarber would bring. They could combine for 100 HR which would win a lot of games in a 162 game season.  If you get a late lead, you throw in a defensive outfielder or two. If  you are behind late,. they could turn things around with one swing. SS Hitmen 2.022

Vaughn and Sheets in a platoon would outproduce Schwarber IMO.  More importantly...we use available resources at 2nd base, backup catcher, and pitching.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don’t man. I feel like they could be stupid and do it. It wouldn’t really shock me.

As I’ve said before, they deserve and have earned the skepticism. I guess I just want to believe they’ll do the right thing. They went multiple seasons during the rebuild making good decisions. Madrigal was a step in the wrong direction. Hope to see it end there. But understand those who feel it’s as white Soxy as it gets. 

4 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I'm still curious about the thought process of trading madrigal. Obviously they wanted kimbrel to help them to win now but hahn is not an idiot, if he thought madrigal was a cost controlled annual 3 war second baseman he wouldn't have made that trade. 

I think for some reason they must be very down on madrigal, maybe they think his medicals indicate his injury struggles will continue and he never will be a guy who regularly plays 145+ games a year. 

The pro department figured out pretty quick the amateur department grossly misevaluated him.  They knew he was a low impact player and he wasn't going to come close to the projections they made so the decision to trade him was made early on.  I'm sure they didn't want to trade him after he got hurt again but they saw it as a chance to upgrade the team while not taking anything away from it.  

7 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

The quality of Castellano's bat is so good, I don't know if I care that much that he isn't a good RF. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guarantee you there would be many days where you would care. 

You just have to hope none of them wind up being really important days.

• Like 1