An ember for your Winter fire: remember when we learned we have the best crowd in MLB?

35thstreetswarm

As we hunker down for a long, lockout-frozen Winter...remember the time we had a wild, electric, delirious, up-for-grabs crowd for a playoff game on the South Side?  One that was at peak decibel level for hours and never seemed to let up?  Remember cane guy?  It's easy to forget given all that followed, but for one night that place was pure baseball joy.  It was special.  I had friends from across the country texting me about how insane the crowd looked and sounded on TV.  Maybe I had gotten ground down by all the "attendance jokes" over the years, but I was honestly shocked at how great it was.  Turns out we have the best crowd in MLB.  This is good.  Here's to hoping for lots more October blackouts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

As we hunker down for a long, lockout-frozen Winter...remember the time we had a wild, electric, delirious, up-for-grabs crowd for a playoff game on the South Side?  One that was at peak decibel level for hours and never seemed to let up?  Remember cane guy?  It's easy to forget given all that followed, but for one night that place was pure baseball joy.  It was special.  I had friends from across the country texting me about how insane the crowd looked and sounded on TV.  Maybe I had gotten ground down by all the "attendance jokes" over the years, but I was honestly shocked at how great it was.  Turns out we have the best crowd in MLB.  This is good.  Here's to hoping for lots more October blackouts.

The Sheets clip where he says "this place is wild" gives me goosebumps.  WWF/WWE wrestlers have long cited Chicago as the greatest place to perform due to the crowd energy.  Imagine if we didn't have the worst owner in professional sports history, JR has robbed this city of so much joy, there's a special place in hell for that mother fucker. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes
to provide Sheets link
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Can't believe I got t be there that night.

• Like 1

I'm also going to add game 3 was incredible. Game 4 the crowd really really tried until a double play ruined a rally and it was just clear the day wasn't gonna be it.

But game 3 was just insanity from an hour before. It got a little quiet at 5-1, but once grandal hit the 2 run it was just absolute madness. Shortest lines I've ever seen at a sox game because nobody ever left their seat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm also going to add game 3 was incredible. Game 4 the crowd really really tried until a double play ruined a rally and it was just clear the day wasn't gonna be it.

But game 3 was just insanity from an hour before. It got a little quiet at 5-1, but once grandal hit the 2 run it was just absolute madness. Shortest lines I've ever seen at a sox game because nobody ever left their seat.

I'm so happy I was basically drunk walking into that game 4. It would have sucked a lot more haha

16 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah, the game 4 crowd was very good at the beginning of the game, especially considering it was mid-day on a work/school day after being canceled the day before and scrambling thousands of peoples' plans.  I hope we can see a lot of night games in the future, especially weekend night games.  I think that's when you'll really see the crowd at its full, fully-lubricated best.

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yeah, the game 4 crowd was very good at the beginning of the game, especially considering it was mid-day on a work/school day after being canceled the day before and scrambling thousands of peoples' plans.  I hope we can see a lot of night games in the future, especially weekend night games.  I think that's when you'll really see the crowd at its full, fully-lubricated best.

That game suffered from the rainout. The energy leaving Sunday night was electric. Had we all been back the next day I feel like the crowd would have been close to what we all experienced Sunday. Although I’ll be honest, I have never been more exhausted (and hung over) after a game than I was that Monday.