MiLB Rule 5 on Wed

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nothing now, he is on the 40, so he is  locked down.  He doesn't matter until the end of spring training when he either has to make the 25 man roster, or pass through waivers.

Gonna be a part of me sad to see the Micker era end without ever starting.  I do think he can be a Franmil Reyes type and run into 30 or so homers a year somewhere while racking up the Ks.  

Butttt he quite simply has absolutely no spot on this club moving forward, and certainly not on the 26 man in 22.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gonna be a part of me sad to see the Micker era end without ever starting.  I do think he can be a Franmil Reyes type and run into 30 or so homers a year somewhere while racking up the Ks.   

Butttt he quite simply has absolutely no spot on this club moving forward, and certainly not on the 26 man in 22.   

I agree with this sentiment...it seems like we have been hearing about him forever...waiting on this big-time prospect...and here we are still waiting! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, 26 man roster, don't know why I can't get past that mental block, lol.

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, 26 man roster, don't know why I can't get past that mental block, lol. 

Is the 26 man roster something that is being proposed?  When did it go to 25?  1990?  I remember thinking "wow, 25 men is a lot to have on a roster"!  LOL!

2 hours ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Is the 26 man roster something that is being proposed?  When did it go to 25?  1990?  I remember thinking "wow, 25 men is a lot to have on a roster"!  LOL!

The 25 man roster in both leagues was set in 1914.  https://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/baseball_rosters.shtml

it became part of the CBA in 1968 (per wiki).  The roster was limited to 24 from 86-89 due “escalating player salaries.”   It moved back to 25 until the recent increase to 26.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JTB said:

The 25 man roster in both leagues was set in 1914.  https://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/baseball_rosters.shtml

it became part of the CBA in 1968 (per wiki).  The roster was limited to 24 from 86-89 due “escalating player salaries.”   It moved back to 25 until the recent increase to 26.

I didn't know they dropped it to 24 back in the 80s, but 25th man is a minimum salary guy and the minimum salary in 1989 was $68k. Shows how ridiculous that was.

Next time an ownership will be forced to sell because they did a crappy job managing their baseball finances will be the first. A couple have had to sell because of issues outside MLB business. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:57 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Nothing now, he is on the 40, so he is  locked down.  He doesn't matter until the end of spring training when he either has to make the 25 man roster, or pass through waivers.

What makes Micker eligible for that?

Sox pulled Yermin and a starting catcher out of this  so I'm interested in seeing what happens.

19 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Use him in a trade then; we got players like him for relievers and as the additional player in bigger trades.

I continue to be surprised that he was not moved at the trade deadline last year. I think he's more than Arizona got back for Escobar, and they have plenty of room to keep him on their 26 man roster to see if he can do anything.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Use him in a trade then; we got players like him for relievers and as the additional player in bigger trades.

Any other team is going to have the same issue with him that the Sox have. That is, he is out of options. If he had a lick of value, he’d had been traded last July. 

• Like 1