MiLB Rule 5 on Wed

southsider2k5

On 12/7/2021 at 7:26 AM, Dick Allen said:

I didn't know they dropped it to 24 back in the 80s, but 25th man is a minimum salary guy and the minimum salary in 1989 was $68k. Shows how ridiculous that was.

Next time an ownership will be forced to sell because they did a crappy job managing their baseball finances will be the first. A couple have had to sell because of issues outside MLB business. 

24 was NL only I recall. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So would the setup be that Fulmer was eligible to declare himself a free agent but passed, leaving himself renewed with the Tigers?

I have to imagine that he hasn't amassed enough time to be a free agent, otherwise he would have gone out on his own.

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Someone always thinks they can handle those problems.  Only takes 1.

What's the market for a DH-only with ego problems and a .729 OPS last year, and tried retiring and going to Japan at different points because he didn't like what the White Sox were telling him?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

What's the market for a DH-only with ego problems and a .729 OPS last year, and tried retiring and going to Japan at different points because he didn't like what the White Sox were telling him?

One thing for sure...the market will be better than before the NL approves the DH.  His unbelievable April still impressed a lot of people.  If you own a poor franchise it can be a cheap marketing kind of pickup.  Back in our rent-a-player days with Veeck, he would have been perfect.

• Haha 1

Just now, poppysox said:

One thing for sure...the market will be better than before the NL approves the DH.  His unbelievable April still impressed a lot of people.  If you own a poor franchise it can be a cheap marketing kind of pickup.  Back in our rent-a-player days with Veeck, he would have been perfect.

"Better" isn't saying much.  He had a flash in the pan April and then absolutely cratered.  After April he seemed to prove right all of the reasons he never advanced to the majors in the first place.  I don't expect anything at all of substance for the guy.  Honestly, I think he is a waiver waiting to happen when the roster needs to free up a slot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

A cheap pickup is different from an asset you trade something for.