Why Yoan is unlikely to go back to 2B

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Wasn't he pretty oor defensively there?  I have a feeling if he moved to 2B, he'd become one of our weaker players.  

He would likely be an all star because the offensive position at 2B is pretty weak but it would weaken the defense overall. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I feel bad for sportswriters right now.  There is literally nothing about baseball to write at this time, so this is what we get.

I bet they are all reading SoxTalk, just to get some ideas.

• Haha 1

The most interesting thing that I read in that article was Yoan being quoted that he would play wherever the team wanted him to.  

So, in response to the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it", the answer isn't that 3B is broken, but that 2B is.  So it's not really true that it's "not broken."  There's no question the Sox would be a better team with Yoan at 2B and any of those other names in the article at 3B, rather than most current 2B options who are currently free agents.  

Guys move around all the time to make the overall team better.  There is no reason to make an exception for Moncada.

To provide another example, if the Sox hadn't traded Tatis Jr to the Padres, and he was still on the Sox, do you think the Sox would have moved Tatis off SS or Tim Anderson?  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The most interesting thing that I read in that article was Yoan being quoted that he would play wherever the team wanted him to.  

So, in response to the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it", the answer isn't that 3B is broken, but that 2B is.  So it's not really true that it's "not broken."  There's no question the Sox would be a better team with Yoan at 2B and any of those other names in the article at 3B, rather than most current 2B options who are currently free agents.  

Guys move around all the time to make the overall team better.  There is no reason to make an exception for Moncada.

To provide another example, if the Sox hadn't traded Tatis Jr to the Padres, and he was still on the Sox, do you think the Sox would have moved Tatis off SS or Tim Anderson?  

TA was up first so Tatis probably shifts to another position in the minors.

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

He would likely be an all star because the offensive position at 2B is pretty weak but it would weaken the defense overall. 

Small sample size young guy breaking into the game while at second base. No reason he couldn’t play better there if he was willing to put in the work. Basically he hits like a second baseman other than one breakout season. Need more pop at third imo if he sticks there.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Does this mean posters will stop suggesting we move him to 2nd base?

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

18 minutes ago, VAfan said:

🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2