Fangraphs features Luis Robert

southsider2k5

I have a pro scout buddy who has a great Luis Robert story.  The first time he saw Robert was in high A and he gave him one of the highest grades he's ever put on a player. A couple days later he got a call from one of the nerds in the geek squad.  He gave him a 70 power grade and the kid told him he has to change it.  He asked why he has to do that and the kid said because Robert only has 6 home runs so he can't give him a 70 power grade.  My buddy told him it's a future power grade.  The kid had no idea what that meant so he explained to him what a pro scout does and how they give present and future grades. After he was finished the kid was quiet and then said so you're going to change it, right.  The exasperation in his voice was hysterical. He said no we're going to keep the grade as it is and again the kid said that he only has 6 home runs. He just didn't get it.  I asked if he ever brought it up later and he said he hasn't because the little dumbass is now the director of minor league development.  Unbelievable.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I have a pro scout buddy who has a great Luis Robert story.  The first time he saw Robert was in high A and he gave him one of the highest grades he's ever put on a player. A couple days later he got a call from one of the nerds in the geek squad.  He gave him a 70 power grade and the kid told him he has to change it.  He asked why he has to do that and the kid said because Robert only has 6 home runs so he can't give him a 70 power grade.  My buddy told him it's a future power grade.  The kid had no idea what that meant so he explained to him what a pro scout does and how they give present and future grades. After he was finished the kid was quiet and then said so you're going to change it, right.  The exasperation in his voice was hysterical. He said no we're going to keep the grade as it is and again the kid said that he only has 6 home runs. He just didn't get it.  I asked if he ever brought it up later and he said he hasn't because the little dumbass is now the director of minor league development.  Unbelievable.

I hope that guy isn't the Sox Director of minor league development. If he is you have to wonder why someone who doesn't understand anything about baseball would be in that position. Can you imagine some computer stat head who never played the game and probably 20 yrs + younger than you trying to convince you to change a scouting grade on a player ? You would think an interview asking questions to probe his knowledge of the game, not past players and their stats, but just about things in general.

I don't think you have to play the game at a high level to love and have knowledge about baseball but getting all A's in computer sciences or applied mathematics should only be 1 part of hiring someone for a job in analytics or player development.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I hope that guy isn't the Sox Director of minor league development. If he is you have to wonder why someone who doesn't understand anything about baseball would be in that position. Can you imagine some computer stat head who never played the game and probably 20 yrs + younger than you trying to convince you to change a scouting grade on a player ? You would think an interview asking questions to probe his knowledge of the game, not past players and their stats, but just about things in general.

I don't think you have to play the game at a high level to love and have knowledge about baseball but getting all A's in computer sciences or applied mathematics should only be 1 part of hiring someone for a job in analytics or player development.

Well, we can all hope that Chris Getz wouldn't be so off in an evaluation...especially as the gritty/grindy type who never possessed any of the physical talent easily accessible from the Luis Robert Tool Chest.

For example, Ben Sheets' future power scouting numbers from 2-3 years ago would be pretty interesting to look back at in retrospect.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

For example, Ben Sheets' future power scouting numbers from 2-3 years ago would be pretty interesting to look back at in retrospect.

Ben Sheets hit zero home runs in his MLB career.  I’m guessing his power at age 43 wasn’t too hard to project.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This story sounds like bullshit. The year Luis Robert got to 6 home runs in A+ was in 2019. During that year, it took him a mere 13 games to get to 6 home runs. He was promoted from A+ after 19 games while posting a ridiculous .920 slugging percentage. Who would doubt the power potential of a guy with that robust slugging percentage and home run rate?

The repeated use of "kid" and "little" is cringeworthy. Your buddy sounds jealous tbh. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

This story sounds like bullshit. The year Luis Robert got to 6 home runs in A+ was in 2019. During that year, it took him a mere 13 games to get to 6 home runs. He was promoted from A+ after 19 games while posting a ridiculous .920 slugging percentage. Who would doubt the power potential of a guy with that robust slugging percentage and home run rate?

The repeated use of "kid" and "little" is cringeworthy. Your buddy sounds jealous tbh. 

Maybe this all took place at the first game of 2019 right after he hit the first home run of the first game. Man’s tallied 6 total home runs in his Sox minor league career but before he hit two more home runs in that first game

But also do nerds really rely on a counting stat like home runs for power potential? Seems like a baseball nerd would focus on like hip rotation moves per 1000 frames (of which I’m sure Robert is elite anyway 😍😍😍🥰)

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Roberts bat is 😍 but really would like to see his movement in CF match what we saw in 2020 again

I think we will. 

Having your hip completely rip in half just from running in a straight line has to be quite the traumatic experience.  

I am thinking an offseason of strength/conditioning and mental rehabilitation should go a long way.

It’s amazing how quickly he was back on the field and playing at an elite level. 

On 12/9/2021 at 8:05 PM, caulfield12 said:

Well, we can all hope that Chris Getz wouldn't be so off in an evaluation...especially as the gritty/grindy type who never possessed any of the physical talent easily accessible from the Luis Robert Tool Chest.

Assuming you meant Gavin Sheets. And if I recall they always said he had power but game power is something that is harder to project .Any big strong guy and even guys like Ichiro can hit bombs in BP .

On 12/11/2021 at 7:22 AM, joesaiditstrue said:

I love how Robert seems to be able to produce whatever kind of offense he wants, I'm not used to this 5 tool talent on the Sox, wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with a similar career to Andrew Jones

I was about to say I think his bat might be better until I realized I totally forgot Andruw Jones hit 400 home runs

1.  I saw a lot of Andruw Jones, and I believe Robert will be a much better hitter.

2.  As much as I like Jones as a young player, his moment that I remember most clearly is when Manager Bobby Cox pulled him off the field in the middle of a game for not hustling.  How often has that happened?  I know Billy Martin did it to Reggie once.