BA releases White Sox Top 10 prospects

Sleepy Harold

I wouldn't have him there but I understand the argument because he does have big league tools.  But at 24 years old you would certainly like to see those tools translate to a better more consistent approach and feel to hit.  He's going to be a big leaguer but how much of an impact he makes is still very much in doubt because at his age the bat should be far more advanced.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd probably go: 

1. Norge Vera 

2. Colson Montgomery 

3. Oscar Colas

4. Wes Kath 

5. Yoelqui Cespedes 

6. Jake Burger 

7. Jose Rodriguez 

8. Jared Kelley 

9.Matthew Thompson

10.Andrew Dalquist 

The more I read and see about Vera, he really feels like by far the top ceiling in this organization, and he seems to be already pretty high of a floor.  We will see if that changes once he gets challenged stateside, but the stuff just seems ace level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I wouldn't have him there but I understand the argument because he does have big league tools.  But at 24 years old you would certainly like to see those tools translate to a better more consistent approach and feel to hit.  He's going to be a big leaguer but how much of an impact he makes is still very much in doubt because at his age the bat should be far more advanced.

I'd normally agree with this assessment and your pessimism is fair, but Yo hadn't played for two years prior to his minor league debut.  He also entered the season with a shoulder injury that limited him to DH duties early in the season.  Add that into him having to acclimate himself to another country- he had a lot to deal with.

You're right on his big league tools...and I think he's going to show that immediately this spring.  If he explodes in AA to start the year I don't think he'll be in the minors very long.  I'd actually put Yo as the WSox top prospect as I feel he'll be making his case to be their RF by late May if they don't splash via trade or in FA.

4 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

His review was actually quite positive. They mentioned that his swing gets long and possible contact issues, but they like his speed, power, and defense/arm. 

After I read his review I was surprised they ranked him 2nd, but they seem to really like Colson.

11 minutes ago, rockren said:

I'd normally agree with this assessment and your pessimism is fair, but Yo hadn't played for two years prior to his minor league debut.  He also entered the season with a shoulder injury that limited him to DH duties early in the season.  Add that into him having to acclimate himself to another country- he had a lot to deal with.

You're right on his big league tools...and I think he's going to show that immediately this spring.  If he explodes in AA to start the year I don't think he'll be in the minors very long.  I'd actually put Yo as the WSox top prospect as I feel he'll be making his case to be their RF by late May if they don't splash via trade or in FA.

Some times the first year is an adjustment, especially after the kind of layoff he just had.  I am hoping that this year things settle down a bit and he can show some things.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Some times the first year is an adjustment, especially after the kind of layoff he just had.  I am hoping that this year things settle down a bit and he can show some things.

Same and I think he will.

It would just be nice to be able to follow WSox Minor League clubs that are somewhat fun to watch.  Last year was impossible to watch a whole game let alone a few innings.

I spent most of my time watching the San Jose Giants on my MILB account...I'm hoping to watch more WSox MILB this year and I believe Yo can provide that for the first few months.

On 12/10/2021 at 4:00 PM, rockren said:

What I don't find convincing for this specifically for Yolqui is his cuban league stats were not the gaudy numbers you'd expect, and his jump was exciting due to his body adding so much additional strength. He did show some of that power, but at 24, he still has so much work to do. He has the tools to take the leap, so you keep him top ten.

The one nice thing about this list is despite the lack of production, there is quite a bit of athleticism and tools in that list, and youth. If they start to put it together this year, especially the pitching, it means a lot. But this system, as ever, is just so reliant on its top prospects hitting because they have been probably hit the hardest by the drop in draft class numbers considering their international class sizes.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Speaking of international signings, was this supposed to be the year for the youngest Tatis, or is that next year?  I am kind of lost with the changes in the signings dates.

It would be next year. The players signing on January 15 were supposed to sign on July 2nd 2021.

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well they could theoretically I suppose but everyone is out of money 

Before a bunch of people inevitably asks you, I'll get it out of the way even though I know the answer:

If the new Tatis is such a stud, can't the Sox just rescind their offers to the current signees and just sign him?