FS: 2021-2022 International Preview

Y2Jimmy0

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sox 3 announced signings are the fewest of any team. Dodgers announced like 30 players. 

I do wonder what the Sox strategy is when it comes to international players. Does it change year to year based on the talent? Do they spend all of their $$ that they are allotted? I know they went over once. It just seems that Paddy's hands are tied from time to time.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

No announcement, but I’ve said the same thing three years now. Badler doesn’t miss much.

You mean in regard to larger scale signings?  I saw your comment about the Dodgers and thought you were suggesting we legit only signed three guys.  I get what you’re saying now.  

I’ll be honest, I’d be pretty pissed if we had $1.2M laying around and didn’t sign Prieto.  If we really do have a fat chunk of change sitting around, maybe there is another Cuban prospect they’re saving it for.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Sox 3 announced signings are the fewest of any team. Dodgers announced like 30 players. 

Oscar Colas for $2.7 million, Erick Hernandez for $1 million and Angel Cruz for $400K. That leaves about $1 million in total funds left. I'm sure they have other signings. 

23 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Oscar Colas for $2.7 million, Erick Hernandez for $1 million and Angel Cruz for $400K. That leaves about $1 million in total funds left. I'm sure they have other signings. 

Why are we sure? This isn't the first time the initial draft class has come in and we thought there would be more. I'm sure they will sign more people, but in the past that has indicated the kinds of guys that have shown up in DSL in June transactions. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Why are we sure? This isn't the first time the initial draft class has come in and we thought there would be more. I'm sure they will sign more people, but in the past that has indicated the kinds of guys that have shown up in DSL in June transactions. 

I mean I'm not "sure" but I'm pretty confident they aren't just signing 3 players 

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I put them in a similar tier. Cespedes has a better arm and can play all outfield spots and run. Colas has big power but is definitely a corner guy. 

How does he have a better arm if Com as was consistently at 93-96 mph as a pitcher?   More accurate?   Because of Yoenis' reputation for that?   And Coles was really putting up excellent times to first after he lost all that weight.

Did anyone get accurate times on Cespedes in Birmingham...first to home, stealing, on triples and v scoring from second on a single?  In the outfield?

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

At first I read this as Pito/Abreu, lol.

Hopefully he's much better than one of the first Cubans, a famed pitcher named Ariel Prieto.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not surprising at all and y’all can understand more now why I wanted us to grab him 😆

17 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We have never had a class of only 3 players announced. 

While this may sound reassuring in 2018 we signed 5 players initially and only like 30% of our pool.

So 3 players on 75% isn’t that out there.

And even if it’s 5 or 6, that would again be a very small class.

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

While this may sound reassuring in 2018 we signed 5 players initially and only like 30% of our pool.

So 3 players on 75% isn’t that out there.

And even if it’s 5 or 6, that would again be a very small class.

2018 was our first year in the penalty box after signing Luis Robert when we were not able to sign anyone for more than $300,000.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

2018 was our first year in the penalty box after signing Luis Robert when we were not able to sign anyone for more than $300,000.

It was our second year and the As, Astros, Padres and Nats all were under penalty but managed 15+ player classes. So your sample size for classes under the new CBA where Sox weren’t under penalty is like 3. Not sure why you would be confident in the size.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It was our second year and the As, Astros, Padres and Nats all were under penalty but managed 15+ player classes. So your sample size for classes under the new CBA where Sox weren’t under penalty is like 3. Not sure why you would be confident in the size.

Your sample size is zero.  Look I have no idea how many people we are going to sign, but I don't know why the assumption is that this will be our worst class ever.

• Like 1