Lockout Boredom Game: Redraft One Sox Year in 2010s

bmags

With the recent very good James Fegan article looking back at the recent drafts, I thought this could be fun.

The game:

- Perform one year to re-do the MLB Draft for the White Sox. 
- You can only select players taken in the same round, after the white sox were selected OR ahead of a white sox selection if the sox bonus given that pick was for more than that player (helpful for 2nd round and later)
- Total budget must equal that year's budget

Sound Good? It's not over - You also have to grapple with what effect that would have on the sox. For example, 2012 draft was terrible. But if you swap out Courtney Hawkins for a Corey Seager - do the white sox still perform the rebuild? Do they trade Tim Anderson for a pitcher instead of Tatis Jr in 2016?

See? Fun stuff! Not more fun than if we had actual baseball news, but more fun than still replying in the leury garcia contract thread. That said, you can assume the rest of our draft picks, etc, stay the same, let's not melt minds.

And even though I'm saying 2010s, yeah, I would love to read someone take a stab at the timeline where the sox draft Mike Trout and its effect on 2012 and beyond.

+++++++

My Pick: Redrafting 2016 (the lowest of the low hanging fruit)

Actual Draft:
Budget $9,416,400
1 (11) Zack Collins - $3.3M
1 (27) Zack Burdi - $2.1M
2 (49) Alec Hansen - $1.3M
3 (86) Alex Call - $700K
4 (116) Jameson Fisher - $485K
5 (146) Jimmy Lambert - 325K
6 (176) Luis Curbelo - $700K
7 (206) Bernardo Flores - $214K
8 (236) Nate Nolan - $170K
9 (266) Max Dutto - 10K
10 (296) Zach Remillard - 10k

Redraft:
1 (11) Gavin Lux - $2.8M (Actual: $3.3M)
1 (27) Will Smith - $1.8M
2 (49) Bryan Reynolds - $1.4M
3 (86) Dustin May - $1M
4 (116) Shane Bieber - $485K
5 (146) Cavan Biggio - 325K
6 (176) Brandon Miller - $250K
8 (236) Kenny Rosenburg - $170K
9 (266) Tony Gonsolin - 10K

Repercussions:

As we know, by this point Tatis had been traded. 2016 is a disaster, and in December 2017 the sox trade away their stars and kick off a rebuild.

With the new prospects from trades, the sox are also thrilled by one of the most incredible draft classes in history. 

After a swing and a miss on top free agents in the 2018-19 offseason. The foundation of Moncada, Giolito, Anderson, and Abreu is joined by Will Smith, Eloy Jimenez, Bryan Reynolds, Cavan Biggio, Dustin May, Dylan Cease, and Shane Bieber lead to a surprisingly fun and competitive 2019. Add to that, the emergence of Luis Robert gave hope of another star joining soon.

Despite swinging and missing on top free agents once again after being spurned by Zack Wheeler, sox added Dallas Keuchel and went big with DH Nelson Cruz

In 2020 everything clicks, and the lineup of:
SS Tim Anderson
RF Bryan Reynolds
1B Jose Abreu
3B Yoan Moncada
CF Luis Robert
LF Eloy Jimenez
C Will Smith
2B Cavan Biggio / Nick Madrigal
DH Edwin Encarnacion / Adam Engel

With a SP of:
Shane Bieber
Lucas Giolito
Dallas Keuchel
Dustin May
Dylan Cease

The sox take off and win hundreds of WS titles, with no end of talent in sight.

ETC ETC

Obviously, this team is stacked, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to do the 2016 redraft without noticing how much hostetler screwed the pooch. So many huge, huge difference makers up through round 5. There are so many I didn't get to. Corbin Burnes, Pete Alonso, Sean Murphy, Zac Gallen, Dylan Carlson, and on and on.

In a year where Will Smith and Sean murphy get drafted we picked a guy 20 spots higher as a catcher who can't catch and has a worse bat. Not great.

Anyhoo, 2016 is easy because the wheels are in motion, but would they have been good enough in 2019 to trade for some of the big pitchers that moved like Gallen? 

• Fire 1

Fun game:

I'm picking the re-draft of 2018:

1 (4) - Madrigal - $6,411,400

2 (46) - Walker - $2,000,000

3 (81) - Pilkington - $650,000

4 (108) - Lency Delgado - $525,000

5 (138) - Steiver - $386,800

I'm only going to do 5 rounds, because for sure everything after that is a complete crap shoot, not that the first 5 rounds aren't:

1 (4) - Jarred Kelenic - $4,000,0000

2 (46) - Brennan Davis - $1,100,000

I'm fine with filling 2B through FA or using defense first guys with a lineup that would fill up the OF with Eloy, Robert, Kelenic. Davis on the way moving Eloy to part time DH makes the lineup:

Anderson

Robert

Eloy

Abreu

Moncada

Grandal

Kelenic

Vaughn

2B

All right I'm changing the rules a little because this is kinda fun. I'm changing 1 draft pick. Only 1. 

With the 23rd pick in the 2009 MLB Draft, the Chicago White Sox select...Mike Trout, Millville Senior High School, New Jersey. Assume he follows the same path and the White Sox don't accidentally trade him in 2010 for an overpaid pitcher.

2011...Alex Rios, Alejandra De Aza play a fair amount of CF. Rios has an utterly awful season, so there's plenty of room for experience for Trout. The team still finishes a few games below .500 because Trout isn't a difference maker. Ozzie Guillen still quits on the team, Robin Ventura is hired. 

2012. White Sox finished 3 games behind 88 win Detroit Tigers for AL Central, most common CF is Alejandro De Aza who puts up 2.3 rWAR. White Sox are a 90+ win team and a legitimate one, also beating Detroit on WAR. They struggle down the stretch again as their pitchers tire, but their lead was substantial by midseason and the White Sox win the AL Central by several games. Robin Ventura gets his contract extended here.

2013: Disaster. Pitchers get hurt, offense falls apart. Team originally won 63 games - now they're a 71 win team. Jake Peavy is still traded midseason to Detroit for Avisail Garcia.

2014: Now here's where it gets really interesting. They draft 6th, just before the Philadelphia Phillies. Carlos Rodon is off the board, let's assume he went to the Cubs. The White Sox have a choice between Aaron Nola and Jeff Hoffmann, who fell due to TJS. The White Sox go ahead and draft Nola (you want to run this the other way, you go ahead). The White Sox still need a 1b and the Yankees and Red Sox are still out, so they still sign Jose Abreu. Unwilling to sign a $100 million deal, they choose not to sign Trout to the same extension that the Angels gave him. The trade for Adam Eaton, involving Hector Santiago, still makes sense for the White Sox, so they acquire him as a corner OF, effectively moving De Aza and Viciedo out of the lineup. Garcia still gets hurt as Ventura is still the coach. The White Sox finish as a .500 team.

2015:  Trout's first arbitration year. The White Sox are convinced they have a shot in the AL Central. Rick Hahn is still alive and Robin Ventura is still the manager. Therefore, in the offseason they trade Bassitt and Semien to the A's for Jeff Samardzija. They sign Adam LaRoche to DH, but they do not sign Melky Cabrera as they don't need an extra OF. Aaron Nola is rushed to the big leagues as soon as the extra year of FA is available in April, he's a little more effective than Rodon but not much. They no longer have the least effective position players in baseball, but they total about 35 fWAR. They finish a couple games above .500.

In an alternative universe - Rick Hahn retires and Jerry Reinsdorf passes ownership to his family, ,the White Sox realize they need to be aggressive with only 3 years of control left on Trout, and rather than trading for Samardzija, they take the money they would have spent on Samardzija + Cabrera and go for a big pitching splash. Both Lester and Scherzer were available. In the process, the White Sox hold onto Semien and Bassitt. The draft really doesn't help unless the White Sox strike gold and select walker Buehler, who was the only good pick in the 2nd half of the first round. 

2016: Trout's second arbitration year. They have 2 years left before he signs the biggest contract in MLB History. In the real world, Cleveland won 94 games with a huge winning streak midseason, they put up 42 fWAR. The White Sox put up 32. But, Eaton moves to RF, Trout moves to CF, Nola struggles a fair amount in the rotation. The Wild Card winners that year only won 89 games. With Trout in the lineup, the White Sox make it a 3-way tie for the Wild Card, with the team still underperforming some. The White Sox still make a midseason deal for James Shields, correctly thinking they need pitching help. Shields continues to be awful and it's the worst deal any of us have ever seen.

In the second alternate universe with a new owner, the White Sox signed either Lester or Scherzer in 2015. They hold onto Semien, Bassitt still gets hurt, but they know they need additional offense on the IF and they know they need a LH bat somewhere in their lineup. Rather than Frazier, they acquire Chase Headley, who was dealt to the Yankees the year before (and the Yankees still wind up rebuilding for a year in 2016, they got themselves out of the multi-year penalties around then). Semien takes over an IF slot and while he struggles on defense it isn't a killer. In this universe, the White Sox take the AL Central. Cubs White Sox world series is possible if both teams advance. Oh, and a kid SS who no one has seen play has a breakout campaign in their minor leagues.

2017: Trout's last year with the White Sox. Avisail Garcia has a breakout season, 5 WAR. Chris Sale has a 7 win season. Aaron Nola has a breakout season. Jose Quintana is still ok. Jose Abreu has his best season. Tim Anderson is working into the IF. Adam Eaton gets hurt in the OF, I don't have a good candidate to replace him. This team is strong even if they still made the Rick Hahn moves. If they made the "not Rick Hahn" moves and signed a Scherzer, held onto a Semien, and therefore never traded for a Shields...Cleveland and Chicago both win in the high 90s in games, and who knows if a trashcan is enough for the Astros to win that title? And oh, the next year the White Sox have the #1 prospect in baseball. 

2018: Garcia and Abreu struggle. Trout has departed for the Yankees. Nola puts up his best season, Sale starts showing some injury issues at the end of the year. Anderson is up and has taken over SS, while Semien has moved to a different IF spot. Quintana falls apart. This team misses the playoffs.

2019: Chris Sale goes down for TJS and then re-signs with the team for a short term deal. Aaron Nola isn't as good as the previous year. But the White Sox's infield is now Semien, Anderson, Tatis, Abreu from 3b to 1b. Robin Ventura is still managing this team.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

All right I'm changing the rules a little because this is kinda fun. I'm changing 1 draft pick. Only 1. 

With the 23rd pick in the 2009 MLB Draft, the Chicago White Sox select...Mike Trout, Millville Senior High School, New Jersey. Assume he follows the same path and the White Sox don't accidentally trade him in 2010 for an overpaid pitcher.

I couldn’t follow the rest. It was starting to feel to me like you were having the Sox somehow squander the the Trout pick, and I didn’t want to be disappointed in that draft again.

3 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I couldn’t follow the rest. It was starting to feel to me like you were having the Sox somehow squander the the Trout pick, and I didn’t want to be disappointed in that draft again.

It winds up depending heavily on whether they are willing to spend for 1 more pitcher in there or if they keep trading for 1 year pieces like Samardzija and Shields. If they keep doing that, they miss the playoffs every year after 2012. If they take the money they did spend and go after Scherzer...that team makes the playoffs in 2016 and is at the top of the AL Central in 2017 along with a very good Cleveland team, and one of those teams is probably taking out Houston. They might have also had a shot at the 2015 Wild Card. 

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

2011...Alex Rios, Alejandra De Aza play a fair amount of CF. Rios has an utterly awful season, so there's plenty of room for experience for Trout. The team still finishes a few games below .500 because Trout isn't a difference maker. Ozzie Guillen still quits on the team, Robin Ventura is hired. 

2012. White Sox finished 3 games behind 88 win Detroit Tigers for AL Central, most common CF is Alejandro De Aza who puts up 2.3 rWAR. White Sox are a 90+ win team and a legitimate one, also beating Detroit on WAR. They struggle down the stretch again as their pitchers tire, but their lead was substantial by midseason and the White Sox win the AL Central by several games. Robin Ventura gets his contract extended here.

2013: Disaster. Pitchers get hurt, offense falls apart. Team originally won 63 games - now they're a 71 win team. Jake Peavy is still traded midseason to Detroit for Avisail Garcia.

2014: Now here's where it gets really interesting. They draft 6th, just before the Philadelphia Phillies. Carlos Rodon is off the board, let's assume he went to the Cubs. The White Sox have a choice between Aaron Nola and Jeff Hoffmann, who fell due to TJS. The White Sox go ahead and draft Nola (you want to run this the other way, you go ahead). The White Sox still need a 1b and the Yankees and Red Sox are still out, so they still sign Jose Abreu. Unwilling to sign a $100 million deal, they choose not to sign Trout to the same extension that the Angels gave him. The trade for Adam Eaton, involving Hector Santiago, still makes sense for the White Sox, so they acquire him as a corner OF, effectively moving De Aza and Viciedo out of the lineup. Garcia still gets hurt as Ventura is still the coach. The White Sox finish as a .500 team.

2015:  Trout's first arbitration year. The White Sox are convinced they have a shot in the AL Central. Rick Hahn is still alive and Robin Ventura is still the manager. Therefore, in the offseason they trade Bassitt and Semien to the A's for Jeff Samardzija. They sign Adam LaRoche to DH, but they do not sign Melky Cabrera as they don't need an extra OF. Aaron Nola is rushed to the big leagues as soon as the extra year of FA is available in April, he's a little more effective than Rodon but not much. They no longer have the least effective position players in baseball, but they total about 35 fWAR. They finish a couple games above .500.

In an alternative universe - Rick Hahn retires and Jerry Reinsdorf passes ownership to his family, ,the White Sox realize they need to be aggressive with only 3 years of control left on Trout, and rather than trading for Samardzija, they take the money they would have spent on Samardzija + Cabrera and go for a big pitching splash. Both Lester and Scherzer were available. In the process, the White Sox hold onto Semien and Bassitt. The draft really doesn't help unless the White Sox strike gold and select walker Buehler, who was the only good pick in the 2nd half of the first round. 

2016: Trout's second arbitration year. They have 2 years left before he signs the biggest contract in MLB History. In the real world, Cleveland won 94 games with a huge winning streak midseason, they put up 42 fWAR. The White Sox put up 32. But, Eaton moves to RF, Trout moves to CF, Nola struggles a fair amount in the rotation. The Wild Card winners that year only won 89 games. With Trout in the lineup, the White Sox make it a 3-way tie for the Wild Card, with the team still underperforming some. The White Sox still make a midseason deal for James Shields, correctly thinking they need pitching help. Shields continues to be awful and it's the worst deal any of us have ever seen.

In the second alternate universe with a new owner, the White Sox signed either Lester or Scherzer in 2015. They hold onto Semien, Bassitt still gets hurt, but they know they need additional offense on the IF and they know they need a LH bat somewhere in their lineup. Rather than Frazier, they acquire Chase Headley, who was dealt to the Yankees the year before (and the Yankees still wind up rebuilding for a year in 2016, they got themselves out of the multi-year penalties around then). Semien takes over an IF slot and while he struggles on defense it isn't a killer. In this universe, the White Sox take the AL Central. Cubs White Sox world series is possible if both teams advance. Oh, and a kid SS who no one has seen play has a breakout campaign in their minor leagues.

2017: Trout's last year with the White Sox. Avisail Garcia has a breakout season, 5 WAR. Chris Sale has a 7 win season. Aaron Nola has a breakout season. Jose Quintana is still ok. Jose Abreu has his best season. Tim Anderson is working into the IF. Adam Eaton gets hurt in the OF, I don't have a good candidate to replace him. This team is strong even if they still made the Rick Hahn moves. If they made the "not Rick Hahn" moves and signed a Scherzer, held onto a Semien, and therefore never traded for a Shields...Cleveland and Chicago both win in the high 90s in games, and who knows if a trashcan is enough for the Astros to win that title? And oh, the next year the White Sox have the #1 prospect in baseball. 

2018: Garcia and Abreu struggle. Trout has departed for the Yankees. Nola puts up his best season, Sale starts showing some injury issues at the end of the year. Anderson is up and has taken over SS, while Semien has moved to a different IF spot. Quintana falls apart. This team misses the playoffs.

2019: Chris Sale goes down for TJS and then re-signs with the team for a short term deal. Aaron Nola isn't as good as the previous year. But the White Sox's infield is now Semien, Anderson, Tatis, Abreu from 3b to 1b. Robin Ventura is still managing this team.

Riveting.

17 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Fun game:

I'm picking the re-draft of 2018:

1 (4) - Madrigal - $6,411,400

2 (46) - Walker - $2,000,000

3 (81) - Pilkington - $650,000

4 (108) - Lency Delgado - $525,000

5 (138) - Steiver - $386,800

I'm only going to do 5 rounds, because for sure everything after that is a complete crap shoot, not that the first 5 rounds aren't:

1 (4) - Jarred Kelenic - $4,000,0000

2 (46) - Brennan Davis - $1,100,000

I'm fine with filling 2B through FA or using defense first guys with a lineup that would fill up the OF with Eloy, Robert, Kelenic. Davis on the way moving Eloy to part time DH makes the lineup:

Anderson

Robert

Eloy

Abreu

Moncada

Grandal

Kelenic

Vaughn

2B

All I see right now is a guy with -.7 fWAR and 2.5 years younger than Madrigal. Waiting for all our young players to have good full seasons is what's holding the Sox back . The minors is where you put guys with promise, not in the lineup like you're doing with Kelenic and Vaughn. Why you'd pick 2018 seems strange when there are so many players drafted in previous years who have already had  good seasons.

2015 draft . 8th pick: Carson Fulmer ( $3,470,600) Tyler Stephenson went 11 and Walker Buehler went 26th and signed under slot for under $2M. Let's just say the Sox drafted Stephenson. So then in 2016 there's no need to draft Collins @10 .  Kyle Lewis 11, Alex Kirilloff  15th, Lux 20th. Will go with Lux here since the other 2 are OF's and in the 2nd rd. the Sox go with...

HS Switchhitting OF Dylan Carlson who went 33rd to StL. instead of Burdi at 26.

Also in 2015 the Sox picks after the 1st rd were:  4th round, Zack Erwin , 5th round Jordan Stephens, 6th Corey Zagari , 7th rd pick # 202 was Blake Hickman. At pick 208 was Jake Cronenworth , Bats L, Throws right 2nd base from Michigan.

Maybe later in round 13 you take another LH OF Cedric Mullins instead of Ryan Riga.

I've been spending my nights burning through Sox re-tool simulations on Out of the Park Baseball 2022 to distract me from the lockout.  If you're interested in this thread or franchise manager type games, I highly recommend it.  You can start a sim from any year in history.

Edited by JoeCredeYes
to improve grammar

So one of my things with this is what change could have occurred which may have either helped Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu core work or prevented some of the more disastrous trades.

Here is one real, real deep cut that relies on lots of magic.

In 2011 Adam Dunn decides he wants to stay a National and the white sox keep their draft pick in one of the greatest drafts of all time. Except they pick 19th and everyone amazing is gone, but KW and Laumann have began to turn around their top draft picks after Chris Sale the year before and select Jackie Bradley Jr, a toolsy college outfielder.

The 2013 season happens, and after a promising 2014 the sox still push forward with Smarj probably.

But in 2016s first half you are replacing Austin Jackson with JBJ who not only is way better in that first half than Austin Jackson, that year his production is actually front-loaded. In the first half he has a 142 wRC+.

The incredible outfield defense instead of AJ and JB Shuck prevents the june swoon from being too brutal, and sox wait long enough to see shields shrivel, ultimately keeping Tatis.

I don't know what happens next. They could look at the roster now with sale, q, jbj, anderson and maybe still go forward, but they could also decide to blow it up, trade jbj too, but move into the rebuild with tatis.

19 hours ago, bmags said:

So one of my things with this is what change could have occurred which may have either helped Sale/Q/Eaton/Abreu core work or prevented some of the more disastrous trades.

Here is one real, real deep cut that relies on lots of magic.

In 2011 Adam Dunn decides he wants to stay a National and the white sox keep their draft pick in one of the greatest drafts of all time. Except they pick 19th and everyone amazing is gone, but KW and Laumann have began to turn around their top draft picks after Chris Sale the year before and select Jackie Bradley Jr, a toolsy college outfielder.

The 2013 season happens, and after a promising 2014 the sox still push forward with Smarj probably.

But in 2016s first half you are replacing Austin Jackson with JBJ who not only is way better in that first half than Austin Jackson, that year his production is actually front-loaded. In the first half he has a 142 wRC+.

The incredible outfield defense instead of AJ and JB Shuck prevents the june swoon from being too brutal, and sox wait long enough to see shields shrivel, ultimately keeping Tatis.

I don't know what happens next. They could look at the roster now with sale, q, jbj, anderson and maybe still go forward, but they could also decide to blow it up, trade jbj too, but move into the rebuild with tatis.

If you wanted to change that year, you could also grab Blake Snell in the 2nd round.  He was a pretty good rookie in 2016 as well

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All I see right now is a guy with -.7 fWAR and 2.5 years younger than Madrigal. Waiting for all our young players to have good full seasons is what's holding the Sox back . The minors is where you put guys with promise, not in the lineup like you're doing with Kelenic and Vaughn. Why you'd pick 2018 seems strange when there are so many players drafted in previous years who have already had  good seasons.

2015 draft . 8th pick: Carson Fulmer ( $3,470,600) Tyler Stephenson went 11 and Walker Buehler went 26th and signed under slot for under $2M. Let's just say the Sox drafted Stephenson. So then in 2016 there's no need to draft Collins @10 .  Kyle Lewis 11, Alex Kirilloff  15th, Lux 20th. Will go with Lux here since the other 2 are OF's and in the 2nd rd. the Sox go with...

HS Switchhitting OF Dylan Carlson who went 33rd to StL. instead of Burdi at 26.

Also in 2015 the Sox picks after the 1st rd were:  4th round, Zack Erwin , 5th round Jordan Stephens, 6th Corey Zagari , 7th rd pick # 202 was Blake Hickman. At pick 208 was Jake Cronenworth , Bats L, Throws right 2nd base from Michigan.

Maybe later in round 13 you take another LH OF Cedric Mullins instead of Ryan Riga.

The great thing about this thread is you are free to post what drafts YOU would re-draft instead of trying to pick apart what I said... 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If you wanted to change that year, you could also grab Blake Snell in the 2nd round.  He was a pretty good rookie in 2016 as well

This is probably a more realistic way to prevent that trade.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 12:01 PM, bmags said:

With the recent very good James Fegan article looking back at the recent drafts, I thought this could be fun.

The game:

- You can only select players taken in the same round, after the white sox were selected OR ahead of a white sox selection if the sox bonus given that pick was for more than that player (helpful for 2nd round and later)

Sound Good? It's not over - You also have to grapple with what effect that would have on the sox. For example, 2012 draft was terrible. But if you swap out Courtney Hawkins for a Corey Seager - do the white sox still perform the rebuild? Do they trade Tim Anderson for a pitcher instead of Tatis Jr in 2016?

See? Fun stuff! Not more fun than if we had actual baseball news, but more fun than still replying in the leury garcia contract thread. That said, you can assume the rest of our draft picks, etc, stay the same, let's not melt minds.

And even though I'm saying 2010s, yeah, I would love to read someone take a stab at the timeline where the sox draft Mike Trout and its effect on 2012 and beyond.

+++++++

My Pick: Redrafting 2016 (the lowest of the low hanging fruit)

Actual Draft:
Budget $9,416,400
1 (11) Zack Collins - $3.3M
1 (27) Zack Burdi - $2.1M
2 (49) Alec Hansen - $1.3M
3 (86) Alex Call - $700K
4 (116) Jameson Fisher - $485K
5 (146) Jimmy Lambert - 325K
6 (176) Luis Curbelo - $700K
8 (236) Nate Nolan - $170K
9 (266) Max Dutto - 10K

Redraft:
1 (11) Gavin Lux - $2.8M (Actual: $3.3M)
1 (27) Will Smith - $1.8M
2 (49) Bryan Reynolds - $1.4M
3 (86) Dustin May - $1M
4 (116) Shane Bieber - $485K
5 (146) Cavan Biggio - 325K
6 (176) Brandon Miller - $250K
8 (236) Kenny Rosenburg - $170K
9 (266) Tony Gonsolin - 10K

Repercussions:

As we know, by this point Tatis had been traded. 2016 is a disaster, and in December 2017 the sox trade away their stars and kick off a rebuild.

With the new prospects from trades, the sox are also thrilled by one of the most incredible draft classes in history. 

After a swing and a miss on top free agents in the 2018-19 offseason. The foundation of Moncada, Giolito, Anderson, and Abreu is joined by Will Smith, Eloy Jimenez, Bryan Reynolds, Cavan Biggio, Dustin May, Dylan Cease, and Shane Bieber lead to a surprisingly fun and competitive 2019. Add to that, the emergence of Luis Robert gave hope of another star joining soon.

Despite swinging and missing on top free agents once again after being spurned by Zack Wheeler, sox added Dallas Keuchel and went big with DH Nelson Cruz

In 2020 everything clicks, and the lineup of:
SS Tim Anderson
RF Bryan Reynolds
1B Jose Abreu
3B Yoan Moncada
CF Luis Robert
LF Eloy Jimenez
C Will Smith
2B Cavan Biggio / Nick Madrigal
DH Edwin Encarnacion / Adam Engel

With a SP of:
Shane Bieber
Lucas Giolito
Dallas Keuchel
Dustin May
Dylan Cease

The sox take off and win hundreds of WS titles, with no end of talent in sight.

ETC ETC

Obviously, this team is stacked, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to do the 2016 redraft without noticing how much hostetler screwed the pooch. So many huge, huge difference makers up through round 5. There are so many I didn't get to. Corbin Burnes, Pete Alonso, Sean Murphy, Zac Gallen, Dylan Carlson, and on and on.

In a year where Will Smith and Sean murphy get drafted we picked a guy 20 spots higher as a catcher who can't catch and has a worse bat. Not great.

Anyhoo, 2016 is easy because the wheels are in motion, but would they have been good enough in 2019 to trade for some of the big pitchers that moved like Gallen? 

I would have been a fan of that draft.

23 hours ago, TheCommish said:

The great thing about this thread is you are free to post what drafts YOU would re-draft instead of trying to pick apart what I said... 

Cry me a river. The OP said the above. While others have attempted what he suggested in some form to make the team better in some alternate universe using the results of the player drafted vs. the results of the players that could have been drafted instead.

I guess the great thing about this thread is that you can twist the purpose of the OP into anything you want to push the same tired narrative in your universe.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Great thoughts from all of you. Just shows one or two different moves potentially changes so many things. In sox history 1985 is the year I’d change. Sox took Kurt brown fifth and Jose Mota 33.  Barry bonds went six and Randy Johnson 36.   I’ve never read a detailed article on this draft from Sox perspective , but this haunts me retroactively. If we took those two and they developed in minors(especially Johnson), the McDowell, Ventura, Thomas, Fernandez drafts potentially still occur. The baines for sosa trade may not need to happen then. Allowing  Fisk and baines as vets leading the way from old comiskey to new comiskey.  Dreams.