All I Want For Christmas

Flash

Thought I'd posit a few names I'd like to see us pursue in trade. These are less obvious than some and assume no major FA acquisitions such as Comforto.

1) Daulton Varsho, D-Backs - very unconventional defensive profile fills several holes for us. In 2021 he started 37 games as catcher and 36 games in OF (CF in 19). LH hitter with power and 5 years of control. D-Backs unlikely to move him unless they are overwhelmed but am guessing they'd love to get out from MadBums remaining 3/yr $55M. 

2) Joey Gallo, Yankees - disappointed after coming over from Rangers. Can play either corner at GG level and, while strikeout prone, has LH power few, if any, can match. Under contract at @$10.5M in '22 would probably benefit from change of scenery. If he clicks, can extend him and if not, he buys us another year of development for the youngsters.

3) Ian Happ, Cubs - has been erratic at the plate but turned things around nicely after horrible start in '21. Hit 25 bombs (would have been 2nd highest on Sox). Career 800+ OPS as a switch-hitter.  Capable of playing multiple positions including 2B/3B and all 3 OF positions. Similar profile to L. Garcia but with more power and a bit better range. 

Of course 'it takes two to tango' and Sox are thin on trade capital. My sense is short of taking on the salaries trade partners might be seeking to move, names that might be required to turn deals for the above include, Jimenez, Vaughn (Varsho would be the only name above I would consider moving Vaughn for), Crochet, Bummer, etc. And...just to add some controversy, it might be fun to contemplate what a potential return package might look like if we dangled Giolito (plus ?) to the D-Backs for let's say Varsho, K. Marte and Zac Gallen?.  

Oh well...such is life with no baseball to look forward to and time on my hands.

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

Thought I'd posit a few names I'd like to see us pursue in trade. These are less obvious than some and assume no major FA acquisitions such as Comforto.

1) Daulton Varsho, D-Backs - very unconventional defensive profile fills several holes for us. In 2021 he started 37 games as catcher and 36 games in OF (CF in 19). LH hitter with power and 5 years of control. D-Backs unlikely to move him unless they are overwhelmed but am guessing they'd love to get out from MadBums remaining 3/yr $55M. 

2) Joey Gallo, Yankees - disappointed after coming over from Rangers. Can play either corner at GG level and, while strikeout prone, has LH power few, if any, can match. Under contract at @$10.5M in '22 would probably benefit from change of scenery. If he clicks, can extend him and if not, he buys us another year of development for the youngsters.

3) Ian Happ, Cubs - has been erratic at the plate but turned things around nicely after horrible start in '21. Hit 25 bombs (would have been 2nd highest on Sox). Career 800+ OPS as a switch-hitter.  Capable of playing multiple positions including 2B/3B and all 3 OF positions. Similar profile to L. Garcia but with more power and a bit better range. 

Of course 'it takes two to tango' and Sox are thin on trade capital. My sense is short of taking on the salaries trade partners might be seeking to move, names that might be required to turn deals for the above include, Jimenez, Vaughn (Varsho would be the only name above I would consider moving Vaughn for), Crochet, Bummer, etc. And...just to add some controversy, it might be fun to contemplate what a potential return package might look like if we dangled Giolito (plus ?) to the D-Backs for let's say Varsho, K. Marte and Zac Gallen?.  

Oh well...such is life with no baseball to look forward to and time on my hands.

Why in the world would the Dbacks trade three core pieces for a trade centered around Lucas Giolito (I get there would be other stuff)?  They will want want controllable pieces and that’s something we lack unless we pull from the major league roster.

Personally, just sign Conforto if we’re looking to fix the offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why in the world would the Dbacks trade three core pieces for a trade centered around Lucas Giolito (I get there would be other stuff)?  They will want want controllable pieces and that’s something we lack unless we pull from the major league roster.

Personally, just sign Conforto if we’re looking to fix the offense.

I agree. I figured this board would be up in arms about mere mention of trading Gio. My guess is D-Backs would prefer shedding salary to acquiring Gio, so swap out Gallen for MadBum from D-Backs and we send Vaughn, Crochet and Burger (not Gio). BTV likes it. 

• Like 1

Vaughn and Collins  to the Cubs for Madrigal, Contreras , and Happ  and then sit back and watch heads explode. LOL.

Wear masks and stay safe as Omicron is spiking.

Merry Christmas and tidings of joy to the White Sox organization and to all fellow White Sox fans and their families.

Lennon - And so this is Christmas

Edited by tray

18 hours ago, Flash said:

I agree. I figured this board would be up in arms about mere mention of trading Gio. My guess is D-Backs would prefer shedding salary to acquiring Gio, so swap out Gallen for MadBum from D-Backs and we send Vaughn, Crochet and Burger (not Gio). BTV likes it. 

The thought of having both Keuchel and MadBum on the team makes me ill.

39 minutes ago, hi8is said:

White Sox.

Oh, for them I want the mouthbreathing morons in the FO and coaching staff to stop doing impossibly imbecilic shit that makes it harder to win. Or, for all those morons to be fucking fired, and more intelligent FO types from smarter and superior orgs to replace them all.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Oh, for them I want the mouthbreathing morons in the FO and coaching staff to stop doing impossibly imbecilic shit that makes it harder to win. Or, for all those morons to be fucking fired, and more intelligent FO types from smarter and superior orgs to replace them all.

Merry Christmas.

I was just saying the ladies shall be wearing White Sox.

11 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The McNeill thread inspired me to make sure that Santa  knows that the Sox don’t belatedly for Xmas need any more first basemen, utility guys, DHs, and injuries. If he was still on the fence.

How is McNeil a “utility guy” exactly?  Obviously being able to play multiple positions is highly valuable, so I’m assuming you’re making a jab at his bat which has been 26% over league average in his career.

21 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I was 6 so I'm probably the last person to ask 😂 

I had season tickets for the Blitz in '83.  George Allen was their coach and owner.  When they announced that they were swapping franchises with Arizona, I got pissed and canceled my season tickets and basically stopped caring about the USFL.  

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How is McNeil a “utility guy” exactly?  Obviously being able to play multiple positions is highly valuable, so I’m assuming you’re making a jab at his bat which has been 26% over league average in his career.

I was not that familiar with him, so I can accept some corrections on it. My search yielded that he was a utility guy. But he is 30, and at the risk of direct comparison, he does not seem like Kris Bryant. Therefore I would not be willing to part with our top young talent  for him. We don’t need to desperately be doing Madrigal deals every season to try and improve. Kimbrel and some lesser names than Crochet would be fine.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

These kinds of deals never go wrong for the Sox. 

Jeff McNeil is really good. I don’t want to trade Crochet, but have to give to get and Sox seem committed to him being a reliever so it’s probably a deal I make. 

• Like 1