Mets could shop McNeil, Sox could have interest

southsider2k5

43 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Something along the lines of the Sox getting McNeil, the Mets getting Bassitt, and the A’s getting prospects seems to make sense for all 3 teams.

That does seem to make some sense, except I don't think Bassitt is a 4/5 and  I think I would rather the Sox get Bassitt than McNeil, and I like McNeil.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

That does seem to make some sense, except I don't think Bassitt is a 4/5 and  I think I would rather the Sox get Bassitt than McNeil, and I like McNeil.

All I know is I want Yermin to go to the Mets, because Yermin and Steve Cohen is social media magic.

• Haha 3

McNeil fills a need. I'm unconcerned by reports of what might have occured between him and Lindor. The problem is the Sox don't have obvious assets that appear to be workable in trade scenarios without dealing from core pieces and/or broadening the scope of the trade to include other players.  We can all  contemplate interesting win/win packages. For me, I'd love to nab McNeil and McCann, but we need to be willing to part with a popular asset or two.       

7 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Something along the lines of the Sox getting McNeil, the Mets getting Bassitt, and the A’s getting prospects seems to make sense for all 3 teams.

Presumably the thing going back to the A's in this scenario is Vaughn?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

That's the logic that created the need to rebuild.
Paying  the correct price matters a lot.

That's absurd.  "Paying the correct price" is some Jerry Reinsdorf stuff which keeps us out of the top of the free agent market and signing the second tier guys. 

9 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Absolutely not. The A’s would probably get a combination of prospects from the Sox and Mets in this scenario, but no one on Vaughn’s level.

I don’t see why the Mets would give up prospects here. McNeil for Bassitt looks heavily one-sided in favor of the Mets given 3 years of control to 1. So the White Sox don’t part with their top guy, I get that now since Bassitt’s control is one year, but if anything the White Sox have to send multiple players for Bassitt and probably another good piece to the Mets to make it work.

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's absurd.  "Paying the correct price" is some Jerry Reinsdorf stuff which keeps us out of the top of the free agent market and signing the second tier guys. 

Not paying the correct price = trading away Bassit, Semien et al for 1 year of Jeff Samardzija.  Just had to get this tor starter, price be damned.

There is no way this FO went into this off-season saying "Jeff McNeil and his .679 OPS is our guy" unless it was the idea that they could get him cheap and use resources elsewhere.  There may be a lot of unused $ in  JR's checkbook,  but Rick  Hahn's supply prospects/young players is limited.

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Not paying the correct price = trading away Bassit, Semien et al for 1 year of Jeff Samardzija.  Just had to get this tor starter, price be damned.

There is no way this FO went into this off-season saying "Jeff McNeil and his .679 OPS is our guy" unless it was the idea that they could get him cheap and use resources elsewhere.  There may be a lot of unused $ in  JR's checkbook,  but Rick  Hahn's supply prospects/young players is limited.

Dude, Jeff McNeil is really good and a near perfect fit for the Sox. His 2021 certainly wasn't great. but lets not dismiss the player he was from 18-20 just to fit your narrative.

McNeil isn't going to be cheap.  I'd prefer to the Sox just sign Conforto and a cheaper 2B that won't kill you on the FA market as opposed to giving up near MLB talent. But Villar, Solano, Owings is about all that's left there.  I certainly wouldn't be trading off assets for McNeil in lieu of signing Conforto.  But both makes this team as good as anyone in the AL.

I'd do everything I can to build a package for the Mets that doesn't include Crochet (Vaughn is a non-starter for me). Some combination of Cespedes, Burger, Kelley, Dalquist, Thompson, JRod, Yolbert, Vera, and Ramos could maybe get it done.  

56 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yeah, it doesn't work that way.  Not paying the correct price is what is locking us out of the top free agent market.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t see why the Mets would give up prospects here. McNeil for Bassitt looks heavily one-sided in favor of the Mets given 3 years of control to 1. So the White Sox don’t part with their top guy, I get that now since Bassitt’s control is one year, but if anything the White Sox have to send multiple players for Bassitt and probably another good piece to the Mets to make it work.

Well fine, but there still wouldn’t be anyone like Vaughn included in a trade like that. He’s way more valuable than both Bassitt and McNeil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Well fine, but there still wouldn’t be anyone like Vaughn included in a trade like that. He’s way more valuable than both Bassitt and McNeil.

Yeah, I was wrong on that, I wasn't thinking last night about Bassitt only having 1 year remaining.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:27 PM, bmags said:

The roster of teams that are willing to trade current, actual starting pitching for a starting second baseman isn't large. Sounds like a 3-way trade or the mets can receive salary relief to sign a 4/5 starter. 

Rodon could be their 4/5 with some salary relief. 

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Dude, Jeff McNeil is really good and a near perfect fit for the Sox. His 2021 certainly wasn't great. but lets not dismiss the player he was from 18-20 just to fit your narrative.

McNeil isn't going to be cheap.  I'd prefer to the Sox just sign Conforto and a cheaper 2B that won't kill you on the FA market as opposed to giving up near MLB talent. But Villar, Solano, Owings is about all that's left there.  I certainly wouldn't be trading off assets for McNeil in lieu of signing Conforto.  But both makes this team as good as anyone in the AL.

I'd do everything I can to build a package for the Mets that doesn't include Crochet (Vaughn is a non-starter for me). Some combination of Cespedes, Burger, Kelley, Dalquist, Thompson, JRod, Yolbert, Vera, and Ramos could maybe get it done.  

Burger and a bag of baseballs would be my offer.  I like his 18-20 but lack of recent success and perceived attitude lowers the price for me.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Burger and a bag of baseballs would be my offer.  I like his 18-20 but lack of recent success and perceived attitude lowers the price for me.

Well, IMO, it depends on who will be more desperate:

1. The Mets to dump McNeil, OR

2. RH/KW to patch the hole they foolishly blew in the MLB roster, while trying to maintain their financial flexibility to keep this window open until Gioilito and TA sign elsewhere in FA.

I'm not so sure that the SOX can afford to be so "high minded" when their only even marginally MLB caliber 2B is Leury Garcia. Actions have consequences.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Well that's not getting you Jeff McNeil.  I personally DGAF about the perceived attitude issues coming out of NY.  Lack of recent success is BS.  Dude is a 26% above average hitter across 1500 PA and fills a multitude of team needs.  He's a 4 WAR player per 162 across his career, including his down 21.  He's a very good player.  

A 26 YO corner IF with injury and body concerns isn't getting it done. 

I'd rather spend Jerry's money in FA than use the few bullets we have via trade, but if trade route is necessary, McNeil is a wonderful fit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well that's not getting you Jeff McNeil.  I personally DGAF about the perceived attitude issues coming out of NY.  Lack of recent success is BS.  Dude is a 26% above average hitter across 1500 PA and fills a multitude of team needs.  He's a 4 WAR player per 162 across his career, including his down 21.  He's a very good player.  

A 26 YO corner IF with injury and body concerns isn't getting it done. 

I'd rather spend Jerry's money in FA than use the few bullets we have via trade, but if trade route is necessary, McNeil is a wonderful fit. 

Yeah, regardless of status (FA or on a team), mcneil is one of the top 5 2b you'd circle as a fit for the sox offense and needs. He's very good defensively, he gives you great contact, he's left handed, he walks.

And he's available.

Obviously I'd rather have Seager.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah, regardless of status (FA or on a team), mcneil is one of the top 5 2b you'd circle as a fit for the sox offense and needs. He's very good defensively, he gives you great contact, he's left handed, he walks.

And he's available.

Obviously I'd rather have Seager.

So what is the realistic price to pay?