Mets could shop McNeil, Sox could have interest

southsider2k5

51 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

You could be right, but also having a hole again at 2nd base is also a problem.  I think the FO has a good feeling of where Crochet fits in to the present pitching staff assuming Kimbrel is gone somewhere. So the risk of trading Crochet should be weighed against the benefit of adding McNeil. But also some have said just Crochet may not be enough. 

I may be in the minority, but while I also want some the names mentioned here in a trade (MeNeil, Marte, Lux, etc), I'd be fine with them rolling out Leury/Romy/cheap veteran signing at 2B in the 9-spot IF it meant they went all in and signed Conforto to fill RF. There is no longer any big 2B worth signing (not a fan of the Story fit) and I'd rather keep our young players.

Not filling RF AND 2B would be terrible.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I may be in the minority, but while I also want some the names mentioned here in a trade (MeNeil, Marte, Lux, etc), I'd be fine with them rolling out Leury/Romy/cheap veteran signing at 2B in the 9-spot IF it meant they went all in and signed Conforto to fill RF. There is no longer any big 2B worth signing (not a fan of the Story fit) and I'd rather keep our young players.

Not filling RF AND 2B would be terrible.

THIS! 

Get Conforto.   Keep Crochet and Vaughn. See where the chips fall on 2B thereafter.  Grab Villar or Owings off the scrap head as utility player to work with Leury at 2B.  

It's really that simple.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

THIS! 

Get Conforto.   Keep Crochet and Vaughn. See where the chips fall on 2B thereafter.  Grab Villar or Owings off the scrap head as utility player to work with Leury at 2B.  

It's really that simple.   

This is a nitpick because I agree but if we get conforto I do not see a need to screw around with defense at 2b to lunge at possibly above average offense. He's had years of being average at 2b but has had some absolutely atrocious years at 2b.

Would honestly rather ask Andrelton Simmons to play 2b than Villar (though I'd prefer neither. Starlin Castro seems to be declining but has had some dynamite years at 2b, and can play all over.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a nitpick because I agree but if we get conforto I do not see a need to screw around with defense at 2b to lunge at possibly above average offense. He's had years of being average at 2b but has had some absolutely atrocious years at 2b.

Would honestly rather ask Andrelton Simmons to play 2b than Villar (though I'd prefer neither. Starlin Castro seems to be declining but has had some dynamite years at 2b, and can play all over.

Yeah, I'd rather have Simmons at 2B to lock down the D if we get a legit RF and cannot pull off a 2B trade.

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

Simmons works too.

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

ew.  So Leury will wind up being the starter  😢

Harrison has phenomenal 2b ratings in OAA, and I thought everyone loves slappy mcgee short RH 2b. His splits make for a fine Leury platoon anyway. Leury is gonna play.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Three way trade with A’s & Mets…who says no?

White Sox:

• Give: Rodriguez, Ramos, & Burke
  • Get: McNeil

Mets:

• Give: McNeil
  • Get: Bassitt

A’s:

• Give: Bassitt
  • Get: Rodriguez, Ramos, & Burke

I think the Sox do this in a second, which means is probably not enough.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think the Sox do this in a second, which means is probably not enough.  

I guess it depends on how highly the A’s view those three prospects.  Our system is obviously amongst the worst in baseball, but those three guys represent our 5th, 9th, and I’m guessing 11th or 12th ranked prospects per BA.  That’s not a bad haul for one year of Bassitt if your scouts like the kids and the A’s did very well with a previous quantity of quality trade with us.  I also tend to think McNeil will go for a little less than many are expecting.  The clubhouse concerns are legit and something the Mets will want to avoid if reasonable value can be had.  That will also be factored into his price along with a tough 2021 season.  I don’t expect him to be cheap, but I think there will be a substantial discount relative what it would have cost to acquire him coming off his 2020 season and without known attitude problems.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

White Sox:

Mets:

A’s:

I don't know that the Mets aren't in "stupid mode" right now but that's a very bad deal for the Mets. Giving up 3 years of control on McNeil for 1 year of Bassitt is really bad on paper.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

White Sox:

Mets:

A’s:

Give the Mets one of those prospects (Ramos or Burke), and maybe you have something?

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't know that the Mets aren't in "stupid mode" right now but that's a very bad deal for the Mets. Giving up 3 years of control on McNeil for 1 year of Bassitt is really bad on paper.

Bassitt just put up a 3.3 win season, McNeil is coming off a 0.5 win season.  I certainly think McNeil will be better in 2022 than he showed last year, but he won’t be valued the same as his 2018 to 2020 version and 2B’s are typically worth less than WAR models suggest.  And again, the clubhouse issues are real.  A guy who refuses to shift as instructed and gets in fights with teammates over it is a legit problem.  I really don’t think the value gap is as big as you think it is, but obviously just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

White Sox:

Mets:

A’s:

Ramos would go on to be a star in Oakland.  I got a feeling the kid is going to have a breakout year.  He has gotten some raves and he has put in plus years as one of the very youngest at his levels in the US.  The kid isn't turning 20 until what should be the middle of spring training.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ramos would go on to be a star in Oakland.  I got a feeling the kid is going to have a breakout year.  He has gotten some raves and he has put in plus years as one of the very youngest at his levels in the US.  The kid isn't turning 20 until what should be the middle of spring training.

I’m a huge Ramos fan, but he’s exactly the type of talent a freshly rebuilding club like the A’s is going to seek.  I feel like him and Rodriguez are the two prospects with the most trade value that are somewhat movable.  I think holding him for another year would be better, but McNeil is a really nice fit for what we need, personality not withstanding.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m a huge Ramos fan, but he’s exactly the type of talent a freshly rebuilding club like the A’s is going to seek.  I feel like him and Rodriguez are the two prospects with the most trade value that are somewhat movable.  I think holding him for another year would be better, but McNeil is a really nice fit for what we need, personality not withstanding.

There aren't a lot of guys I fear losing out of our system, but he is definitely near the top of the list.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd certainly rather lose Ramos and/or Rodriguez than Crochet and/or Vaughn. 

Rodriguez wouldn't bother me at all.  Crochet or Vaughn i would be OK with if the return was a front line pitcher or star player.  In this sort of a deal, I would not be happy.

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rodriguez wouldn't bother me at all.  Crochet or Vaughn i would be OK with if the return was a front line pitcher or star player.  In this sort of a deal, I would not be happy.

I'll admit this isn't the best way to look at things, but ending up with 0 HG players at the end of 2 years of tanking would be pretty brutal. When you're tanking seasons so you can draft college bats in the top 5, those should be building blocks of a healthy franchise, not trade pieces.

I think the Astros and Cubs are glad they didn't trade away the college bats they spent years tanking to draft. Not trying to derail the thread, but the thought of dealing Vaughn away is so unappealing to me for a variety of different reasons.