2022 Catch All

Texsox

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Here's the problem with the "criminals will still have guns", we do this for nothing else in the criminal code.  Otherwise we would have full abortion protections, drugs would be legal,  DUIs wouldn't exist, roads wouldn't have speed limits, embezzlement wouldn't be a crime, etc.  Every country would have nuclear weapons.  

We regulate, restrict and ban literally anything else that causes even a fraction of this death and destruction. 

Yep.  It’s fucking stupid.  Anyone who thinks normal people should be able to get an AR-15, or similar gun or high capacity is a fucking moron, making money off of gun sales or corrupt. No exceptions and that it includes the morons we have on the Supreme Court right now.

• Like 1

I think the explanation in Orlando is that a bunch of people yelled someone has a gun and they triggered a rush of a hundred thousand people because that sounds so normal these days. Whether it’s a prank or a mistake, this can easily kill people too. There were supposedly some shots somewhere in Philly.

55 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Aren't politics a banned subject on SoxTalk?

Why are a bunch of posters allowed to clamor for gun control legislation without the thread being shut down?

Just going to comment as the resident Canadian before this thread is closed…

In other countries rudimentary gun safety rules are not controversial or political. It’s the equivalent of reasonable speed limits in a school zone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KipWellsFan said:

Just going to comment as the resident Canadian before this thread is closed…

In other countries rudimentary gun safety rules are not controversial or political. It’s the equivalent of reasonable speed limits in a school zone.

Thanks, not talking about other countries so not really relevant.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why not just avoid the thread if it bothers you?

The conversation doesn't bother me at all. 

It bothers me that other threads get shut down because politics get brought up but some do not. 

The rules don't seem to be consistent.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

The rules don't seem to be consistent.

Our laws aren’t consistent either. Hence the complaints.

If I want to fish, I have to have a license or risk being fined. If I want to buy an firearm…it’s all been said.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

35 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Our laws aren’t consistent either. Hence the complaints.

If I want to fish, I have to have a license or risk being fined. If I want to buy an firearm…it’s all been said.

They can go complain about it elsewhere on the internet. Plenty of places other than soxtalk to talk politics. 

At least this was the reasoning I was given as recently as last week.

Are the mods going to follow the precedent they've set or are they going to show bias? 

Mods?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

They can go complain about it elsewhere on the internet. Plenty of places other than soxtalk to talk politics. 

At least this was the reasoning I was given as recently as last week.

Are the mods going to follow the precedent they've set or are they going to show bias? 

Mods?

I believe the line is somewhere between *what* and *how*. 

One fundamental function of a society is to protect the people within that society. Discussing what should be done to achieve that can usually happen without discussing the politics. 

How it gets done, or why it hasn't, starts stepping on the political line. Reactions to major events in the Chicago area also are allowed a little more leeway that events in New York, California, etc. 

Another example, "hey rising food prices are really squeezing my wallet, what can I do?" Is fine. 

"This is what you get for voting for X, Y, and Z" isn't. 

We do our best. We're not always perfect. 

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I believe the line is somewhere between *what* and *how*. 

One fundamental function of a society is to protect the people within that society. Discussing what should be done to achieve that can usually happen without discussing the politics. 

How it gets done, or why it hasn't, starts stepping on the political line. Reactions to major events in the Chicago area also are allowed a little more leeway that events in New York, California, etc. 

Another example, "hey rising food prices are really squeezing my wallet, what can I do?" Is fine. 

"This is what you get for voting for X, Y, and Z" isn't. 

We do our best. We're not always perfect. 

I appreciate the explanation but seems overly subjective. Too much room for mod bias.

Being a mod is a thankless job and I appreciate the work that everyone contributes to running the site. Therefore, I won't keep harping on this as I think I made my point.

Edited by KrankinSox
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, KrankinSox said:

I appreciate the explanation but seems overly subjective. Too much room for mod bias.

Being a mod is a thankless job and I appreciate the work that everyone contributes to running the site. Therefore, I won't keep harping on this as I think I made my point.

It's a point we discuss regularly. It is subjective. The Filibuster was shut down in a big part not because of the arguments there, but how they spilled over into all the other areas. Posters would be at odds over a Filibuster thread, then start arguing about a baseball topic. It kind of polluted everything.

It's usually the arguing, not the subject, that gets threads shut down. We expect baseball arguing, we try to avoid arguing in other areas. 

The Highland Park event was on everyone's mind. Randomly posting articles about being afraid, or how bad the city is, becomes trolling. 

On 7/4/2022 at 2:02 PM, Texsox said:

G7 what's your goal? Laying plans to run for mayor? 

I actually have a GOOD friend who lives downtown who was going to run for mayor against Lori L next election. He looked into it extensively. He decided not to because he is single, very rich financially and figures his views are so conservative he fears the media might taken him down very very harshly. He was sort of a wild child in college and stories could come out (nothing illegal or anything just wild behavior).

So he ain't running. A lot of my views stem from talking to him a lot and reading the mt. greenwood patch and anything Chicago related that doesn't require a subscription. I've also shared my nephew works down there as a firefighter and i have brother in suburbia, sister in suburbia, brother in suburbia and some cousins remaining in Chicago, others have moved to Nashville, Zona and texas so far. I love my city. It's still my city cause I was born in Christ Hospital and lived there for a signiicant no. of years. Peace.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

No matter where I am The city and The lake always means Chicago and Lake Michigan. Ravenswood Hospital on the north side was where I made my debut. Lived on Maplewood Ave until dreams took my family to the burbs. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 1:48 PM, greg775 said:

Nationwide problem. Not about me.

We've gone from my childhood when summers consisted of being released from our house by parents in the morning with kids and parents having no cell phones -- being out on the streets and parks unsupervised with buddies all day, only returning home on our bikes for meals (thanks mom!) and then heading out again til dark -- in beautiful south side chitown. No kidnappings, no shootings, no stabbings. Just nirvana childhood fun to now where you can't go to a parade without being concerned.

Peace to all affected by the two incidents I linked today and Happy holiday to all! It is a great holiday, one of the most fun if u like hotdogs, burgers and fireworks.

The only difference between when you grew up and now is that we didn't have the internet showing us every single story happening 24/7. Kidnappings, shootings and stabbings happened plenty back then. You just didn't hear about them as much.

26 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

The only difference between when you grew up and now is that we didn't have the internet showing us every single story happening 24/7. Kidnappings, shootings and stabbings happened plenty back then. You just didn't hear about them as much.

In fact crime rates were WAY higher when all of us were kids.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Also, news stories weren’t aggregated to individuals based on the last thing they read, and the thing before that, and…

Someone want to explain why when I try to pour coffee from the pot to my cup, and I do it over my counter, some always dribbles down the pot and spills? If I remember I have this infuriating problem and pour into the cup and do it over my sink, not a drop spills. I don’t get it.

Think Hank Green would look into it?

Terrible story from this past weekend. Off-duty Chicago cop shot and now paralyzed after breaking up a bar fight.

His fiance has some choice words for Lightfoot and Fox:

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/fiance-chicago-cop-paralyzed-shooting-rips-lightfoot-police-supt-brown

GoFundMe if you'd like to help out:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/danny-golden-support-fund?qid=e25a6de32201a1ee89fd80d6f0c192d8

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 4:53 PM, KrankinSox said:

Terrible story from this past weekend. Off-duty Chicago cop shot and now paralyzed after breaking up a bar fight.

His fiance has some choice words for Lightfoot and Fox:

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/fiance-chicago-cop-paralyzed-shooting-rips-lightfoot-police-supt-brown

GoFundMe if you'd like to help out:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/danny-golden-support-fund?qid=e25a6de32201a1ee89fd80d6f0c192d8

Gavin Sheets contributed to this GoFundMe...not sure if it is White Sox Gavin Sheets or some prankster. 

• Like 1

• knightni unpinned and locked this topic