Rosenthal fired for criticism of Manfred

southsider2k5

I never even noticed Rosenthal's article until I read this about his firing.

In general, I always felt that MLB's various in house media did a good job covering MLB objectively, including its warts.  Bad news about player behavior, team issue etc seemed to be reported there as much as they were elsewhere.

I understand that he was technically an employee of MLB and technically it is a bad idea to speakly bad publicly about the CEO.  But this is different.  Most companies don't hire reporters to cover their companies and set up media companies to enable that.  MLB makes a load of money off its media.

If MLB network, MLB.com etc is truly just a paid advertisement for MLB, as it now seems, then screw them.  I'll get my MLB news elsewhere, from sources not under the thumb of Manfred.  Plenty available.  I've suspected Manfred is horrible.  Firing Rosenthal, one of the premier baseball reporters, confirms that.

• Thanks 1

From the very beginning, MLB has tried to control the media, and has been pretty successful. Mainstream reporters know they take their careers in their hands if they show any independence. Even if they don't get fired, sources can dry up and that can hamper the way they do their job. However, many times at least some truth comes out. 

Technically, his contract ended and they didn't try to bring him back, so he really wasn't fired, but it just shows how ridiculous and petty MLB can be.  

It actually hurts the guys who remain because it gives the impression they are all owners/Manfred ass kissers. And the criticism was so mild no one ever made a big deal about it except for the powers that be. 

Edited by Dick Allen

16 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

There are other outlets where you can objectively report on MLB though: ESPN, Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated, The Athletic, etc. If you're going to work for MLB Network you have to understand that the rules are a little bit different.

How long do you think Scott Merkin keeps his job if he tweets something trashing Jerry Reinsdorf?

According to the article, the comments were made in The Atlantic. 

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Wow. Got nervous this was from the Athletic which would have been cancel-worth as a subscriber.

Manfred is such a coward.

It's possible that Manfred could revoke his press privileges if he so chooses, and essentially blackball Rosenthal. 

I'd imagine if Manfred is that upset about it, he may do such a thing. Would be horrible. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 1/3/2022 at 11:06 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Well luckily MLB is more concerned about silencing minimal discent and not actually fixing the game, so I am sure there is plenty to "report" on. 

Except now they screwed the pooch and are the news.  It would have attracted way less attention if they had left him alone.

But the egos often win out 

On 1/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, CentralChamps21 said:

MLB Network is owned by MLB, so Rosenthal was essentially an MLB employee. I don't know any company where you can publicly trash your company's CEO and retain your job.

Seems obvious, doesn't it.  

cancel culture is everywhere and nobody can have an opposite opinion anymore without someone getting all ruffled. The fact that Manfred's ego is so delicate and can't face truths tells you everything you need to know about how MLB got into this mess. I was never a huge fan of rosenthal but that reporting should never get anyone fired. crazy world .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quickman said:

cancel culture is everywhere and nobody can have an opposite opinion anymore without someone getting all ruffled. The fact that Manfred's ego is so delicate and can't face truths tells you everything you need to know about how MLB got into this mess. I was never a huge fan of rosenthal but that reporting should never get anyone fired. crazy world .

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, quickman said:

cancel culture has always existed, this isn't some new phenomenon

• Like 1

People getting fired is not cancel culture 🙄.  Rosenthal will be just fine, this is bogus as hell and Manfred is a b**** but Rosenthal did not get cancelled.  He still works for the athletic.  He will still work for Fox as far as I know.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The concept of important white people like Manfred having consequences for things they say and do…is. That’s why they need a new term for it.

No they have a term for it.  It's called being a little b****.  Even JR knew that was true about Manfred.

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No they have a term for it.  It's called being a little b****.  Even JR knew that was true about Manfred.

A wimpy businessman in a role too big for him firing people for minimal criticism is not new.

Him suffering any real consequences for doing so…would be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

A wimpy businessman in a role too big for him firing people for minimal criticism is not new.

Him suffering any real consequences for doing so…would be.

See I don't foresee consequences for him because he was hired for this reason, to be the bad guy and eat shit on behalf of the owners.  

55 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

See I don't foresee consequences for him because he was hired for this reason, to be the bad guy and eat shit on behalf of the owners.  

Me neither. 

Anyway, to be clear - people doing what Manfred did here has always existed - that’s what the poster I replied to said.

It won’t happen here, but sometimes lately, a powerful person hurting people with less power has triggered a negative response, even with actual consequences. This is so outrageous we have a new term for it - cancel culture.

So it’s true this kind of 💩 by Manfred has always happened, but the shiny new term on it is reflecting something different. Something fairly new in this case - all the baseball fans know what the coward did and some will remember it.