Rosenthal fired for criticism of Manfred

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The concept of important white people like Manfred having consequences for things they say and do…is. That’s why they need a new term for it.

FYI..." important white people like Manfred" is a racist-sounding statement.  I'm sure it was not your intention to come off in that manner.  If someone on this forum said important black people like Obama...this forum would explode.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

See I don't foresee consequences for him because he was hired for this reason, to be the bad guy and eat shit on behalf of the owners.  

So weird how this is specifically an MLB dynamic though. Maybe this is Bettman too, I don’t follow NHL. 

37 minutes ago, bmags said:

So weird how this is specifically an MLB dynamic though. Maybe this is Bettman too, I don’t follow NHL. 

You don't think Goodell is paid handsomely to be the owner propped boogeyman? I would say Bettman definitely qualifies, seems like Silver is the one guy that doesn't have that weight yet 

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You don't think Goodell is paid handsomely to be the owner propped boogeyman? I would say Bettman definitely qualifies, seems like Silver is the one guy that doesn't have that weight yet 

I think he is paid handsomely and plays the bogeyman but also I think he is a genuinely powerful presence that can lead owners. The stuff where the league has been helping build the stadiums and guiding teams to bigger markets with its own loans, it's absolute domination of media and scheduling, he really is pretty good at understanding the business of the league. Silver and Stern before him, both powerful in steering league to new revenue and directions.

Manfred just literally seems like a puppet. And yeah, I do think you can point to JR and his work to make owner solidarity the prime goal and why JR would hate a Steve Cohen, who may throw more of a fight at things which cost his franchise more individually in their ability to attract best players.

For example, instead of doing things to attract the best players in Asia Pac to the MLB, he threw up barriers because some owners were upset at the contracts for those players. Granted, this is solved in the NBA via the draft, but still.

23 hours ago, quickman said:

cancel culture is everywhere

Ok, I'm quoting you, because I think you're the poster who introduced this to this thread. I have questions:

1. WTF is "cancel culture," exactly?

2. How is this simply not being "fired for cause?" (A weak and MORONIC "cause," but cause nonetheless.)

No, I don't think that KR should have been fired. And yes, I think that is was weak and dumb to let him go/fire him/not renew his contract. But I have no fookin' idea what makes something "cancel culture," and what is NOT "cancel culture." I used the googly-masheen, and all I got was a pile of nebulous, ill-defined horseshit.

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The last 990 of the NFL I saw (before they gave up tax exempt status) showed Goodell's compensation at $44 million.

8 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm just hoping when the negotiations start, Manfred says something super stupid to the press that even the owners say "ok that's enough"

and I think there is a possibility of that.   The owners don't all like him

Yep...JR knows what he's doing.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm just hoping when the negotiations start, Manfred says something super stupid to the press that even the owners say "ok that's enough"

and I think there is a possibility of that.   The owners don't all like him

The owners don't care about what he says and how popular he is. His job is to make the owners money. Yeah in theory you could say he hurts long term growth but owners are mostly old men who care about the value of their club in the next 5 years and not about the fans of 2040. That's why they all opted for contracting the minors, that move will cost the game some long term fans but brings money short term.

However I do think there is a chance Manfred gets fired but that is only if owners 

a) lose money by having a lockout very long into the season 

b) are forced to sign a very player friendly cba to start the season.

As long an owner friendly cba is signed to start the season in time his job is safe.

20 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The owners don't care about what he says and how popular he is. His job is to make the owners money. Yeah in theory you could say he hurts long term growth but owners are mostly old men who care about the value of their club in the next 5 years and not about the fans of 2040. That's why they all opted for contracting the minors, that move will cost the game some long term fans but brings money short term.

However I do think there is a chance Manfred gets fired but that is only if owners 

a) lose money by having a lockout very long into the season 

b) are forced to sign a very player friendly cba to start the season.

As long an owner friendly cba is signed to start the season in time his job is safe.

Yea I'm not saying it's likely that he gets fired, I'm just saying if he says something that maybe affects negotiations negatively that he is given the boot.  I don't think it's likely though, I said earlier that he is paid a lot of money to eat shit on the owners behalf I know what the deal is.  

Cancel culture is when games are lost due to a work stoppage. Cancel culture is when you refuse to meet with your opponent. I had one other thought but it got cancelled. Oh yes sometimes the Feds order the parties to the table.