Soxtalk Member Age Range

knightni

How old are you?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Soxtalk is 20 years old this year. How old are you now?

• 16 or Under
    • 17-19
    • 20-24
    • 25-29
    • 30-34
    • 35-39
    • 40-44
    • 45-49
    • 50-54
    • 55+

Not one poster claims to be under 16 years old.  When I was 16 you would have trouble keeping me off a White Sox forum if one had existed.  Baseball is not the end all be all was.  Many things compete for youngster attention.  The smart guys in the FO need to brainstorm how to get kids interested.  Of course, winning would help.

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Not one poster claims to be under 16 years old.  When I was 16 you would have trouble keeping me off a White Sox forum if one had existed.  Baseball is not the end all be all was.  Many things compete for youngster attention.  The smart guys in the FO need to brainstorm how to get kids interested.  Of course, winning would help.

They are mostly on Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat.  It's fine, some will find their way here and some will be better off in those mediums expressing themselves lol

I am 68 and used to post on WSI. That site was much different when it was first started by George Bova. It kept changing for the worse and I don't bother with it now.

When the internet began taking off, MLB was very concerned about fan message boards and especially web sites. It did what it could to control and even get rid of the sites. Of course, there is something called the first amendment and that wasn't going to work. Regardless, I am sure the White Sox organization monitors what is said on this board and others.

My first baseball message board experience was on ESPN back in the early 2000's.  Someone had posted to check out Soxtalk, which turned out to be a pretty great suggestion. My profile here says I joined in 2004, so I would have been 24.  I'll be 42 later this week....crazy to think I've been coming to this site for nearly 20 years.

12 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Joined in early 03 migrated from ESPN as well never really liked WSI.  I think was around member 100 or 200,

Maaaan, I kinda forgot ESPN used to have message boards, those were the OG trolling and gloat boards after any big win, simpler times. 

38 years old, mostly lurker/sometimes poster.  Lurked since '02-'03 and created an account after the series win to join in the celebration.  Check in almost every morning with coffee.

Edited by JoeCredeYes
add age

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Coming up on 76 on Feb 12. 2022 will be my 70th year as a Sox fan. Some wonderful memories with  40 winning seasons and 29 losing seasons, so much fun in the GO GO SOX years as I started off with 16 straight winning seasons including the 1959 American League Championship year. Attended and saw my boyhood heroes lose game 2 of the 59 World Series against the Dodgers. Spent the 1962 season working at Comiskey Park as a vendor selling either Coca Cola, Peanuts, Pop Corn or Ice Cream. Also worked at Wrigley, couldn't make a dime there as the Flubs drew a whopping  600,000 that year.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

On 1/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Wtf did you really just link the census.gov website under boomers 

My  post was directly responsive to the post I quoted which involved age statistics. The point is that the median age in the country has gotten older, so no surprise that the media age of baseball fans mirrors that.

Please just stop commenting on my posts as your commentaries  have become increasingly snarky and foolhardy.

You act like you own this site and that is bulshit.

Edited by tray

47 minutes ago, tray said:

My  post was directly responsive to the post I quoted which involved age statistics. The point is that the median age in the country has gotten older, so no surprise that the media age of baseball fans mirrors that.

Please just stop commenting on my posts as your commentaries  have become increasingly snarky and foolhardy.

You act like you own this site and that is bulshit.

Here I thought it was "employee-owned," like Hy-Vee grocery stores.

I think the "average" male (according to most of the information available on-line) should be right around 38 to 39 years of age.  That's also showing up in the late 30's demographic in this survey.

14 hours ago, poppysox said:

I discovered this board while Googling something when I was 15 and started reading regularly. However, I had some previous trouble with my grades because of getting too involved a message board so I "banned" myself from actually joining until I finished high school.

In 2002 I had an email dialogue with Phil Rodgers, and he suggested I check out SoxTalk, which I did.  Loved it from the beginning.  Back then there were a few long gone, really good posters, Rex Hudler among them.  Back then Jason posted much more often; I wish he still did.

Edited by oldsox

44 minutes ago, oldsox said:

In 2002 I had an email dialogue with Phil Rogers, and he suggested I check out SoxTalk, which I did.  Loved it from the beginning.  Back then there were a few long gone, really good posters, Rex Hudler among them.  Back then Jason posted much more often; I wish he still did.

LOL I bet Phil doesn't feel that way anymore, this place is pretty rough on him 

On 1/5/2022 at 12:50 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

Coming up on 76 on Feb 12. 2022 will be my 70th year as a Sox fan. Some wonderful memories with  40 winning seasons and 29 losing seasons, so much fun in the GO GO SOX years as I started off with 16 straight winning seasons including the 1959 American League Championship year. Attended and saw my boyhood heroes lose game 2 of the 59 World Series against the Dodgers. Spent the 1962 season working at Comiskey Park as a vendor selling either Coca Cola, Peanuts, Pop Corn or Ice Cream. Also worked at Wrigley, couldn't make a dime there as the Flubs drew a whopping  600,000 that year.

My dad was at game 1 - definitely the better game to be at, and one of his fondest memories.