2022 Book thread

southsider2k5

Haven't had one of these in a while, so why not.

Just finished The Perfectionists by Simon Winchester. 

Started 1619 Project. Listened to the Podcast and picked up the book after Christmas at Barnes and Noble half price hardback sale.

Also in queue is Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, Land by Simon Winchester, The Doomsday Book by Marshall Brain, and It's Good to be the King about Mel Brooks.

• Like 1

Just started Bad Blood, the story of the Theranos start-up that scammed hundreds of millions of dollars from investors.  Pretty fascinating so far, and it's written almost like a thriller.

I didn't know much about Theranos until I saw there is going to be a series on Hulu and a movie on Apple coming out this year.  I figured I'd read the book first.  So far, I'm really enjoying it.

I've actually fallen behind on my book reading. I've got at least 3 or 4 new books sitting on my shelves that I haven't even started on yet.

Just got "Will" (Will Smith's autobiography) for Christmas. Have had Stephen King's "Billy Summers" on my shelves for a couple of months now.

I also picked up "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes" this past summer.

14 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Just started Bad Blood, the story of the Theranos start-up that scammed hundreds of millions of dollars from investors.  Pretty fascinating so far, and it's written almost like a thriller.

I didn't know much about Theranos until I saw there is going to be a series on Hulu and a movie on Apple coming out this year.  I figured I'd read the book first.  So far, I'm really enjoying it.

I'm reading The Smartest Guys in the Room about Enron. I'm taking a break from two series, one set in Minnesota by Krueger about a sheriff/PI and another by Doiron about a Maine game warden. 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:01 AM, hogan873 said:

That book was great, really takes off when carreyrou goes into when he got sucked into the story as a reporter, as well. Thought it's a bit bewildering reading that book with all the stuff happening in like 2006 and thinking "oh this goes on 9 more years thou"

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

That book was great, really takes off when carreyrou goes into when he got sucked into the story as a reporter, as well. Thought it's a bit bewildering reading that book with all the stuff happening in like 2006 and thinking "oh this goes on 9 more years thou"

That has to be an interesting read know that Holmes JUST got convicted.

• Like 1

Starting to re-read the first 2 books of The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.  Since the author read his prologue for Book 3 for a charity fundraiser over the holiday season, I am hoping that "The Doors of Stone" will be coming out this year.  Book 1 "The Name of the Wind" was released in 2007 and Book 2 "The Wise Man's Fear" was released in 2011.  I know the author is a perfectionist but hot damn, 11 years is a long time to wait for a book.  

Only vaguely on this subject, my wife's mom passed away in November. They haven't started going through the house yet but she has a lot of "stuff". Mostly a lot of boxes stacked up.

One thing she does have is a complete collection of Danielle Steele novels. All hardcovers at that. Probably paid $20+ for some of them new. Looking up prices on Ebay, they'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 dollars a piece for them.

Books are weird like that.

4 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Only vaguely on this subject, my wife's mom passed away in November. They haven't started going through the house yet but she has a lot of "stuff". Mostly a lot of boxes stacked up.

One thing she does have is a complete collection of Danielle Steele novels. All hardcovers at that. Probably paid $20+ for some of them new. Looking up prices on Ebay, they'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 dollars a piece for them.

Books are weird like that.

I rarely buy new. The Goodwill store via eBay was my go to before I decided to reduce my library. At one time I was over a 1,000 volumes. 

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Will have to check these out. 

The first one was over 400 pages long… I read it to him in 3 days - anytime I asked him if he wanted me to keep reading or if he was ready for a break it was always, “keep reading!”

Often times he knew “secrets” in the book before they were revealed or before I even caught onto them… so I know his attention was captured.

Really enjoyable for the adult who is reading and for the kids who are listening.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

The first one was over 400 pages long… I read it to him in 3 days - anytime I asked him if he wanted me to keep reading or if he was ready for a break it was always, “keep reading!”

Often times he knew “secrets” in the book before they were revealed or before I even caught onto them… so I know his attention was captured.

Really enjoyable for the adult who is reading and for the kids who are listening.

Cheers.

I truly miss reading to my son....it was one of the great joys of parenting for me.  One day when he was quite young and I was too busy to read at the moment, he brought me a book and said, "read to your child, so that your child will love to read."...I dropped what I was doing and started to read. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, hi8is said:

Been reading books to hi8is jr… Just finished Land of Stories, The Wishing Spell and am going to crack open the second book soon.

It’s a fantastic series for anyone with kids.

It always amazed me that Land of Stories was written by the guy who played Kurt Hummel in Glee.

36 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Just curios what do y'all prefer fiction or non? Me I prefer non fiction but I was raised on reading the Hardy Boys, what a fossil I am😖

I primarily read fiction, but I've read some non-fiction lately.  Douglas Preston's The Lost City of the Monkey God is one of my favorites.

19 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Just curios what do y'all prefer fiction or non? Me I prefer non fiction but I was raised on reading the Hardy Boys, what a fossil I am😖

Ah the Hardy Boys. They were my gateway drug also. I was crushed when I learned that Franklin W. Dixon wasn't a real person. I channelled his memory during a project I just completed. That business model is alive and well today.

The past ten years or so one of my favorite light reading are series set where we vacation. So Doiron's series in Maine. Houston in Wisconsin. Krueger in Minnesota. Harry on SPI. CJ Box in the Rockies etc. There was another one in Moab but I forget the author. I'm also always on the lookout for decent Kindle Unlimited series. 

Non fiction runs towards topics that I'm researching or catch my eye. I was just checking the library for books on labor negotiations in America thanks to @Balta1701. I needed to learn a little about CFOs and got caught up in some Enron books.

All my life in books written pages. I was blessed to be raised by a mom who read and grandparents who fed my Hardy Boys habit.

Another question out of curiosity, do you prefer KIndle or a binded book? Usually I would say the latter but I gotta say theres something to be said for a Kindle with the lit background and all. Plus some books can be big and bulky and hard to hold at eye level, guess since I dont own a kindle, I lean more towards the old school book

Just now, The Grinder said:

Another question out of curiosity, do you prefer KIndle or a binded book? Usually I would say the latter but I gotta say theres something to be said for a Kindle with the lit background and all. Plus some books can be big and bulky and hard to hold at eye level, guess since I dont own a kindle, I lean more towards the old school book

I would joke as an English teacher I would walk around with some serious tome to impress people and read trash on my Kindle. I use my Kindle during our summer RV travels although we collect books along the way. I wish my library connected easier to Kindle or that Kindle Unlimited offered a wider selection of quality stuff.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:46 AM, The Grinder said:

Reading on a Kindle is very convenient, and I read most books that way.  But there is something about reading an actual book.  I'll still grab one from the library once in a while.