Burger working out at 2B

southsider2k5

Burger being able to handle 2B in a pinch would be great. There's no downside in working out there and giving him reps in ST/AAA to see if it sticks.

But my fear is this will give the Sox even more confidence they can cheap out at 2B with Burger waiting to replace whoever the Cesaresque player they add as a stop gap option once the lockout ends.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm sure that it is not the plan to make him the 2B, but working on it and making himself passable there makes him more valuable to the White Sox and other teams.

Yeah, I think he's doing this more on his own initiative than the team's.  He realizes he's basically blocked from the team otherwise. No harm in trying to increase your value.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Moved quite well for a large man who is not a second baseman 

This is where talent evaluation based on experience is relevant. Possibly Burgur or Vaughn could play 3B, but I don't think Moncada will move back to second.

Maybe the Sox sign a FA like  Trevor Story or trade for Lux or somebody for 2B. That Madrigal trade looks worse every day. A hole that Hahn created for nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm sure that it is not the plan to make him the 2B, but working on it and making himself passable there makes him more valuable to the White Sox and other teams.

I'd be looking at Garcia's contract and thinking versatility can make you money in this league. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The hell is up with this team putting DHs and first baseman all over the field?

He's working out on his own. Until we actually see him there in my a regular season game the team hasn't put him there. 

Basically I believe every player evaluates their opportunities and tries to find a spot. The Sox are long at SS, Center, DH, and first, while being short in the corners and 2nd. Go to the hole and fill it. 

• Like 2