Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Burger working out at 2B

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

 

I'd be more than happy with like Jose Iglesias or Andrelton Simmons playing 2B and hitting 9th.

If it means we signed a real RF, same. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If it means we signed a real RF, same. 

Well, the White Sox are currently $13 million below the (Previous CBA) luxury tax line. Iglesias earned $3.5 million last year, Simmons $10.5 million. So right now, your actual RF has to earn between $2.5 million and $9 million to stay under that line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, the White Sox are currently $13 million below the (Previous CBA) luxury tax line. Iglesias earned $3.5 million last year, Simmons $10.5 million. So right now, your actual RF has to earn between $2.5 million and $9 million to stay under that line.

I think trading Kimbrel clears another $16 mill.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think trading Kimbrel clears another $16 mill.

And the luxury tax line is certainly going to increase at least a little.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And the luxury tax line is certainly going to increase at least a little.  

If this ends with a court ordering them back to playing under the old CBA (as happened in 1995), the court might scale it to "how much of the season is left" but the court wouldn't rewrite that line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally you want your utility player to be a really good defender because defense is the main role of the utility player but if any team is going to buck the system and employ a bat first utility guy it's going to be the Sox.  The best  case is they trade one or two of their redundant players so they can field a good and versatile team instead of trying to shoe horn limited players into open spots.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ideally you want your utility player to be a really good defender because defense is the main role of the utility player but if any team is going to buck the system and employ a bat first utility guy it's going to be the Sox.  The best  case is they trade one or two of their redundant players so they can field a good and versatile team instead of trying to shoe horn limited players into open spots.  

I am totally on board trading Sheets and Burger

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am totally on board trading Sheets and Burger

Same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2022 at 2:18 PM, southsider2k5 said:

 

Rooting hard for this dude, if he keeps putting the work in he will get his crack somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good exercise but otherwise non-sensical. We deserve better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am totally on board trading Sheets and Burger

Everyone is tradeable for the right price...but, Sheets is someone I want to keep if at all possible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Last week, White Sox infielder Jake Burger put out a video of his workouts at second base. This week he joins us to explain that while a positional shift is possible, he also likes to stir the pot. We talk with the troll-loving former first-round draft pick about his new attitude towards social media, why Gavin Sheets is his best friend on the team, and how even a pro athlete can drop a couple of pop-ups in the same game. One thing is certain by the end of this interview: Jake Burger loves a good laugh!

https://www.soxon35th.com/sox-in-the-basement-podcast-jake-burger-enjoys-a-good-troll/

 

 

Jake Burger, the troll. Part of me wants to believe he read the horror-filled responses on Soxtalk, and realized he went too far. But a true troll would consider that a job well done.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with  trading Burger is that the Sox won't get much for him.  He doesn't have prospect pedigree, nor a meaningful minor league career.  His AAA numbers last year were unremarkable.
Sheets showed some  ability last year, but it is the old small sample size, and he lacks prospect pedigree.   That said, he is a lefty bat and absolutely  mauled RH pitching.  And the other thing is that his 2021 didn't come out of the blue... reports out of the ATF in 2020 said he had turned a corner.  I'd say he's at least 50/50  to have a better year  than Conforto (he has has better odds of being totally awful).
Absolutely no one should  have more information than the  Sox on whether these guys could be the "real deal."  Don't see a compelling reason to trade either of these guys.
The one  with the most trade value is Vaughn.  But, he  probably  also has the most potential and most likely to be a major league regular.  I think he's going to  really hit.

Abreu's going to be gone in a year, and we'll need the depth.

The bigger issue to me is pitching.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The trouble with  trading Burger is that the Sox won't get much for him.  He doesn't have prospect pedigree, nor a meaningful minor league career.  His AAA numbers last year were unremarkable.

The one  with the most trade value is Vaughn.  But, he  probably  also has the most potential and most likely to be a major league regular.  I think he's going to  really hit.

Abreu's going to be gone in a year, and we'll need the depth.

The bigger issue to me is pitching.

I don't know how you define 'prospect pedigree' but Burger was one of the top rated hitting prospects in his draft class, and not much has changed with that over the past couple of years. The problem with trading Burger is uncertainty about the Achilles status. Burger would likely bring equivalent value at the AAA level.

Yes, Vaughn is the most coveted prospect the Sox have in the system. Not much doubt about that.

So how is Abreu 'going to be gone in a year'? Considering the Sox commitment to the Cuban Connection, Abreu is an invaluable piece of the roster puzzle even if only considering his leadership traits. Barring a catastrophic decline in performance, Jose is here for the duration. And yes, that would be based on a Konerko model.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ideally you want your utility player to be a really good defender because defense is the main role of the utility player but if any team is going to buck the system and employ a bat first utility guy it's going to be the Sox.  The best  case is they trade one or two of their redundant players so they can field a good and versatile team instead of trying to shoe horn limited players into open spots.  

Yolmer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the need to fill 2B and RF, I would hope the Sox explore any and all trade options. Obviously if you want to acquire decent talent in a trade, you have to give some up -  maybe one or more of Kimbrel, Keuchel,  Sheets, Vaughn or Burgur.  Really no player should be untouchable for the right trade haul in return. You need to know what that return might be before saying you would not trade a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, poppysox said:

Everyone is tradeable for the right price...but, Sheets is someone I want to keep if at all possible.

Sheets is useful to have around because we need lefty bats, but we don't need another DH and he sucks at 1B and in the OF.  

I'd keep him in AAA for insurance because he will certainly be needed at at tines.  If we can get something more useful than that - I would have no issue whatsoever trading Sheets while he has some semblance of value - but I have a hard time seeing that come to fruition. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tray said:

Given the need to fill 2B and RF, I would hope the Sox explore any and all trade options. Obviously if you want to acquire decent talent in a trade, you have to give some up -  maybe one or more of Kimbrel, Keuchel,  Sheets, Vaughn or Burgur.  Really no player should be untouchable for the right trade haul in return. You need to know what that return might be before saying you would not trade a player.

I'd say that Vaughn and/or Crochet are off the table under almost any circumstances. They are high ceiling prospects that carry limited data sets. For the present, there is little reason to think that they are moveable for anything short of a Wander Franco level prospect.  For anything less that that kind of return, as a fan, I'd hate it and think moving them would be little short of selling the future for the present.

Edited by FoxForce2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FoxForce2 said:

I'd say that Vaughn and/or Crochet are off the table under almost any circumstances. They are high ceiling prospects that carry limited data sets. For the present, there is little reason to think that they are moveable for anything short of a Wander Franco level prospect.  For anything less that that kind of return, as a fan, I'd hate it and think moving them would be little short of selling the future for the present.

Considering it was fairly well reported that Crochet was available in the Kimbrel deal (Cubs chose Madrigal instead), I think he’s very much available for the right return. I am with you on Vaughn - hope the Sox are too!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Abreu's going to be gone in a year, and we'll need the depth.

 

Yeah, I wouldn't assume this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The trouble with  trading Burger is that the Sox won't get much for him.  He doesn't have prospect pedigree, nor a meaningful minor league career.  His AAA numbers last year were unremarkable.
Sheets showed some  ability last year, but it is the old small sample size, and he lacks prospect pedigree.   That said, he is a lefty bat and absolutely  mauled RH pitching.  And the other thing is that his 2021 didn't come out of the blue... reports out of the ATF in 2020 said he had turned a corner.  I'd say he's at least 50/50  to have a better year  than Conforto (he has has better odds of being totally awful).
Absolutely no one should  have more information than the  Sox on whether these guys could be the "real deal."  Don't see a compelling reason to trade either of these guys.
The one  with the most trade value is Vaughn.  But, he  probably  also has the most potential and most likely to be a major league regular.  I think he's going to  really hit.

Abreu's going to be gone in a year, and we'll need the depth.

The bigger issue to me is pitching.

It would absolutely shock me if Jose Abreu weren't on the 2024 White Sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×