Alec Hansen Retires

Sleepy Harold

What a roller coaster minor league career he had....best of luck to him going forward.  I too had held out hope that he could be a decent bullpen piece....but I also did the same with Carson Fulmer til the bitter end so I guess I always hope.  

• Like 1

Another one of those hyped second rounders who ended up disappointing.

Most do.

For every Kyler Murray out of OU, you will get a boatload of Hansens and Steele Walkers.  The cruel reality of baseball.

More or less the minor league version of Erik Johnson, where nobody could quite figure out how to fix him…another victim of injuries and the psychological aspect of the game.  Feel like there’s a Yogi Berra quote relevant here.

“90% of the game is half mental.”

That’s also why it’s so easy to appreciate someone like Lucas Giolito, who had some horrific major league numbers but managed to find a solution with his mechanics.  Or even one half season of brilliance from Carlos Rodon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Most do.

For every Kyler Murray out of OU, you will get a boatload of Hansens and Steele Walkers.  The cruel reality of baseball.

More or less the minor league version of Erik Johnson, where nobody could quite figure out how to fix him…another victim of injuries and the psychological aspect of the game.  Feel like there’s a Yogi Berra quote relevant here.

That’s also why it’s so easy to appreciate someone like Lucas Giolito, who had some horrific major league numbers but managed to find a solution with his mechanics.  Or even one half season of brilliance from Carlos Rodon.

After the first 10 picks or so there is a massive drop of in average value. 

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2009/06/draft_picks_and.php

Basically for a second rounder you expect less than 5 war, so basically a guy who is a utility guy for a couple years. 

You hope for more of course and some second rounders do become good players or even stars but the average outcome of a second rounder is probably danny mendick or adam engel. 

Hansen obviously was less than that, you would have at least expected that he makes it as a middle reliever to the majors for a couple years as a "floor" but it isn't a super unexpected outcome either, if the average second rounder has 4 war over his 6 control years and some are much better than some also have to be much worse. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

After the first 10 picks or so there is a massive drop of in average value. 

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2009/06/draft_picks_and.php

Basically for a second rounder you expect less than 5 war, so basically a guy who is a utility guy for a couple years. 

You hope for more of course and some second rounders do become good players or even stars but the average outcome of a second rounder is probably danny mendick or adam engel. 

Hansen obviously was less than that, you would have at least expected that he makes it as a middle reliever to the majors for a couple years as a "floor" but it isn't a super unexpected outcome either, if the average second rounder has 4 war over his 6 control years and some are much better than some also have to be much worse. 

Look at who has started games for the Indians for the last 2-3 years and where they were drafted.

The main reason we still haven’t completely buried them despite baseball’s lowest payroll.

Heck, if we could just be the Brewers.

When all is said and done, we didn’t get enough from Rodon, Fulmer, Collins and Madrigal based on their draft positions.  Which is partially why we’ve now had to spend so much to compensate.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:54 PM, caulfield12 said:

Most do.

Still a prospect.  

Another example of Hahn's inability.  How is Mazara doing?  Hahn can go through millions in the blink of an eye.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, reiks12 said:

i wonder what the story with his injury was. Did he not want TJ? 

I can’t remember what was wrong with the arm, the dreaded forearm injury. Maybe somehow hung on without actually  tearing the ligament. But that was clearly the thing that sunk his career. I don’t quite recall  either why he dropped in the draft, was it a bad senior year iirc?  I do believe he was a high effort pitcher that was projected as an injury risk. Dare to say, I have  worried about Crochet in a similar sense this past year. Although he has caught himself without losing much in terms of bottom line.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

On 1/28/2022 at 4:14 PM, caulfield12 said:

Look at who has started games for the Indians for the last 2-3 years and where they were drafted.

The main reason we still haven’t completely buried them despite baseball’s lowest payroll.

Heck, if we could just be the Brewers.

When all is said and done, we didn’t get enough from Rodon, Fulmer, Collins and Madrigal based on their draft positions.  Which is partially why we’ve now had to spend so much to compensate.

The indians didn't have any success drafting position players since 2013, they were actually much worse than the white Sox in that regard. 

They were better in drafting pitchers but much of that probably was their great pitching development. 

Where they have the sox beat is international non cuban signings, Sox have been extremely bad internationally except for the cuban players. 

7 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The indians didn't have any success drafting position players since 2013, they were actually much worse than the white Sox in that regard. 

They were better in drafting pitchers but much of that probably was their great pitching development. 

Where they have the sox beat is international non cuban signings, Sox have been extremely bad internationally except for the cuban players. 

I should have specified.  One of those draft years, they got at least three starters out of it…something the Sox haven’t done for decades.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/08/cleveland-indians-inside-the-franchise-changing-2016-draft-that-delivered-shane-bieber-zach-plesac-aaron-civale-terry-pluto.html