Gordon Beckham retires

Balta1701

I will also point out - Beckham was one of the players I was more wrong about - in terms of how their career panned out.  I thought he was a shoe-in for 2000 hits and at a minimum a long above average career.  That rookie year his swing was compact, with power to opposite field. Dude was an extra base machine, but between his rookie year and following year - something happened mechanically and he could never get back to that short swing he had.  Defensively he had plenty of great plays.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will also point out - Beckham was one of the players I was more wrong about - in terms of how their career panned out.  I thought he was a shoe-in for 2000 hits and at a minimum a long above average career.  That rookie year his swing was compact, with power to opposite field. Dude was an extra base machine, but between his rookie year and following year - something happened mechanically and he could never get back to that short swing he had.  Defensively he had plenty of great plays.  

Wasn't there a famous screaming match during a game once where KW came down to rip Walker a new one regarding the massive hitch in Gordon's swing, which prevented him from hitting any fastballs up?

2 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Wasn't there a famous screaming match during a game once where KW came down to rip Walker a new one regarding the massive hitch in Gordon's swing, which prevented him from hitting any fastballs up?

I don't remember this - but it could be true - I know there were some buffet tables flipped by KW from time to time in the clubhouse.  Or I think it was KW that did that.  

On 1/27/2022 at 8:52 PM, Chisoxfn said:

When he first came up, I thought he was a can't miss player. Was poised and seemed to have talent. I guess that is why I am not a major league scout.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:56 AM, Chisoxfn said:

I don't remember this - but it could be true - I know there were some buffet tables flipped by KW from time to time in the clubhouse.  Or I think it was KW that did that.  

Found this, I remember reading somewhere (coulda been on here or Twitter) that it was even worse than the picture the write up painted. 

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/white-sox-gm-kenny-williams-has-heated-exchange-with-hitting-coach-greg-walker/

4 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Found this, I remember reading somewhere (coulda been on here or Twitter) that it was even worse than the picture the write up painted. 

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/white-sox-gm-kenny-williams-has-heated-exchange-with-hitting-coach-greg-walker/

It is now coming back to me - and KW wasn't wrong.

• Like 2