Hypothetical Trades

Flash

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I expect the Sox to bring in a cheap vet or 2 to compete with Keuchel and provide insurance for Kopech.

I am not trading Vaughn just to push Keuchel out of the rotation though.  He's a plenty servicible 5 for this team in this division. 

I will be mildy surprised if all of our rotation is healthy and ready for opening day.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will be mildy surprised if all of our rotation is healthy and ready for opening day.

You know something I don't recall on injuries? I guess I could see them slow playing Kopech to some degree - but I don't see the Sox sending him to AAA or starting season in the pen so I think his maintenance and rest is going to need to come midseason. 

You can never have too much pitching - but I don't think the Sox are going to sign an expensive pitcher or trade assets to acquire one so they can pay Keuchel $18M to work out of the pen as a mop up man.

They also have Lambert, Stiever and McClure who are all 25 and older and are basically at do or die positions in their careers. Not expecting anything from any of them, but if they need a spot start or two, they have a couple bodies that are due their chances.  Again, fully expect them to add a vet SP or 2 off the scrap heap anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

You know something I don't recall on injuries? I guess I could see them slow playing Kopech to some degree - but I don't see the Sox sending him to AAA or starting season in the pen so I think his maintenance and rest is going to need to come midseason. 

You can never have too much pitching - but I don't think the Sox are going to sign an expensive pitcher or trade assets to acquire one so they can pay Keuchel $18M to work out of the pen as a mop up man.

They also have Lambert, Stiever and McClure who are all 25 and older and are basically at do or die positions in their careers. Not expecting anything from any of them, but if they need a spot start or two, they have a couple bodies that are due their chances.  Again, fully expect them to add a vet SP or 2 off the scrap heap anyway. 

Like I said a long season after a short season is a big red flag for me, as is the pretty obvious thing unfolding in front of us that we aren't going to have a normal spring training.

Interesting rationale. Let's see if I can net it out. Small sample size but consensus is... 

No on John Means despite his LH profile, nasty stuff and 4bWAR in '21 (including no-hitter).

No on a year of Gallo despite his 38 LH bombs, GG defense and 4.3bWAR in '21, along with Luis Gil just isn't interesting enough to consider moving Vaughn for. 

Maybe to probably on Ketel Marte.

Tough crowd.

13 minutes ago, Flash said:

Interesting rationale. Let's see if I can net it out. Small sample size but consensus is... 

No on John Means despite his LH profile, nasty stuff and 4bWAR in '21 (including no-hitter).

No on a year of Gallo despite his 38 LH bombs, GG defense and 4.3bWAR in '21, along with Luis Gil just isn't interesting enough to consider moving Vaughn for. 

Maybe to probably on Ketel Marte.

Tough crowd.

.160/.303/.707 at Yankees Stadium, with that right field porch, does not inspire confidence.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

.160/.303/.707 at Yankees Stadium, with that right field porch, does not inspire confidence.

NY was not kind to Gallo which is why he will likely be moved. I've gotta believe he will bounce back, especially with a change of scenary and provide a potential bridge to Colas.

31 minutes ago, Flash said:

NY was not kind to Gallo which is why he will likely be moved. I've gotta believe he will bounce back, especially with a change of scenary and provide a potential bridge to Colas.

I mean, I'd 100% take Gallo for not Vaughn or Crochet.

But I'm not trading the guy projected to be the first baseman of the future (who can also contribute right now) in exchange for a guy you hope can bounce back out of a Rangers uniform.

36 minutes ago, Flash said:

I just can't understand why people would want another Adam Dunn after watching it up close for 3 seasons 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am kind of on this boat too. I'll give them Dalquist and some fodder. lol

I get the 3 outcome player, how it is valuable.  Gallo just has never seemed like he is anything but a few weeks of hot streaks and a few months of strikeouts to me.  He hit around two of the best right handed power hitters in the league and got worse in a park that should have made him a god 

47 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I just can't understand why people would want another Adam Dunn after watching it up close for 3 seasons 

If you equate Gallo to Adam Dunn (even allowing for the difference in defensive ability)  and ignore the addition of Luis Gil, then of course you would not like the trade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 9:49 AM, Quin said:

I mean, I'd 100% take Gallo for not Vaughn or Crochet.

But I'm not trading the guy projected to be the first baseman of the future (who can also contribute right now) in exchange for a guy you hope can bounce back out of a Rangers uniform.

Would you do this deal for a LHH stud 1B of the present and future to replace Jose and eaze the sting of losing Vaughn?  A's get immediate production and controllable upside in Vaughn, a potential 3B to attempt to fill Chappy's shoes after he's dealt, and a nice poor man's Khris Davis to boot. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes
regain attachment quota

3 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Would you do this deal for a LHH stud 1B of the present and future to replace Jose and eaze the sting of losing Vaughn?  A's get immediate production and controllable upside in Vaughn, a potential 3B to attempt to fill Chappy's shoes after he's dealt, and a nice poor man's Khris Davis to boot. 

image.png

That is a boatload to give up for a 1B when this franchise is LOADED with them.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't really see the point of this trade when we can keep Vaughn and just sign someone like Conforto for money.  Not to mention that Kath has literally just started his career and hasn't been able to really build any value.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

True, but Olson is better than all of them by a lot.

2 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

I don't really see the point of this trade when we can keep Vaughn and just sign someone like Conforto for money.  Not to mention that Kath has literally just started his career and hasn't been able to really build any value.

Because Olson fills a need on a WS contending team and because I have an irrational hatred for Michael Conforto.

6 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

How about trade Vaughn and sign Conforto and Castellanos or Schwarber? Keep Eloy in LF and Castellanos or Schwarber would be the DH. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

True, but Olson is better than all of them by a lot.

Because Olson fills a need on a WS contending team and because I have an irrational hatred for Michael Conforto.

In a year or two, Vaughn could in that same vein, and he isn't close to free agency.  With Jose Abreu already on the roster, that really jams things up without actually solving our positional defensive problems

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

How about trade Vaughn and sign Conforto and Castellanos or Schwarber?

or.....here me out......we can just keep Vaughn and sign Castellanos/Conforto or Shwarber?

Seriously, what is the obsession with trading Vaughn around here?

Edited by Bunt Ritual
  • Like 2

Just now, Bunt Ritual said:

or.....here me out......we can just keep Vaughn and sign Castellanos/Conforto or Shwarber?

Look if Vaughn can front line  a trade for a star pitcher or someone like Bryce Harper?  Sure.  Deal him.  But otherwise?  Nah.  This dude is going to hit.  He probably won't do much else, but he will be hit and he will be cheap.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

or.....here me out......we can just keep Vaughn and sign Castellanos?

Because he has trade value and they should see what they can get for him. It all depends on what they can get for him though. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look if Vaughn can front line  a trade for a star pitcher or someone like Bryce Harper?  Sure.  Deal him.  But otherwise?  Nah.  This dude is going to hit.  He probably won't do much else, but he will be hit and he will be cheap.

Bryce not being here is nearly as painful for me as Jr. not being here.  Just the perfect fit for this team right now.