Hypothetical Trades

Flash

Just now, fathom said:

From all accounts, Olson is going to be traded for a huge package in the coming weeks.  I don’t think we would like what the Sox give up for a position they’re not lacking in.

Yeah, my hypothetical is mostly based on the fact that he's available, fits the LHH power need and we have nothing else to talk about so why not speculate wildly. 

I'd rather buy low on Bellinger since he fills a positional need, but couldn't imagine what kind of package LA would demand for him.

If we're going to make a trade, let's not trade Andrew Vaughn please.  I'd prefer to be good for the next 5-6 years, not classic White Sox this thing into 1-2 year window. 

That said, this team is good enough as is to not make any major trades.  Sign Conforto.  Sign one of the many 2B options. Trade Kimbrel for a cheap controllable reliever.  Sign a vet SP to compete for the 5 spot.  Go to battle. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox have let him walk on deals twice recently now.  I get the feeling they aren't interested.

I was not necessarily saying I was interested.  I was asking why the Mariners would make the guy they just traded for after the season available.  I would give up a couple low level prospects for him to play 2B everyday tho.    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I was not necessarily saying I was interested.  I was asking why the Mariners would make the guy they just traded for after the season available.  I would give up a couple low level prospects for him to play 2B everyday tho.    

Possible they could have picked him up as a fallback plan incase they don't grab other infield targets they are supposedly interested in (Bryant, Story). I don't think they gave up much to get him so dealing him if they sign someone else wouldn't be a bad option.

Though with his ability to play outfield as well (which also seems to be getting crowded), might be better to keep him and figure out a way to get everyone at bats.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed.

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

If we're going to make a trade, let's not trade Andrew Vaughn please.  I'd prefer to be good for the next 5-6 years, not classic White Sox this thing into 1-2 year window. 

That said, this team is good enough as is to not make any major trades.  Sign Conforto.  Sign one of the many 2B options. Trade Kimbrel for a cheap controllable reliever.  Sign a vet SP to compete for the 5 spot.  Go to battle. 

I only now realize this because Manfred had to lie today. The owners’ proposal turns the luxury tax into something much closer to a hard cap with bigger penalties. If something like the owners’ proposal passes, the White Sox will have only about $16 million to spend next year. If they spend more than that, it would cost them at least a third round draft pick, along with a financial penalty. If they were to do something like Conforto and Rodon, it could certainly cost them a second round pick.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I only now realize this because Manfred had to lie today. The owners’ proposal turns the luxury tax into something much closer to a hard cap with bigger penalties. If something like the owners’ proposal passes, the White Sox will have only about $16 million to spend next year. If they spend more than that, it would cost them at least a third round draft pick, along with a financial penalty. If they were to do something like Conforto and Rodon, it could certainly cost them a second round pick.

There won’t be an agreement with a lower luxury tax than it is now. The number will go up, not down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1