Law Top 100

GreenSox

Nada for the Sox; not a surprise, I suppose.  Sox choice.
Astros also score a zip.
All other AL Central teams have 2 in the top 50 (Tigers 2 in top 5)

D Backs top the list with 7, 3 top 50.  They've churned out prospects for years; just can't build a team.

Dodgers and Pirates with 6; Orioles, Rays, Mets and Giants with 5.

Law said Korey Lee was his #101.  I saw him in the fall league and wasn't terribly impressed.  He was ok but didn't do anything that jumped out at you like so many others in that league.  I did talk to a guy who played with him and he said Lee is one of his favorite teammates ever so I'll be rooting for him. 

I'm pissed I missed Owen White out there.  It sounds like that dude has some serious shit.   

I saw Ryan Pepiot in college.  He had a good change but it sure as hell wasn't an 80.  Those Dodgers boy....

Ha I didn't notice the Xavier Edwards writeup until someone commented about it on twitter. :lolhitting  

Edwards has great feel to hit, can play above-average defense at second base, and even added third base to his skill set … but he just hasn’t been able to hit the ball hard enough to profile as more than a fringe regular yet, with exit velocities more in the 86-87 mph range. If you think Nick Madrigal was a top 100 prospect — I did not, for the record, and I stand by that — then Edwards would be one as well, because he hits the ball a bit harder than Madrigal does, and is younger, and a better defender at second. He’s a plus runner who hasn’t had great success on the bases, but the speed does make center field a possibility if he ever changes organizations.

Not being able to turn a single non premium pick or cheaper international signing into a top 100 guy pretty much at any point since the rebuild began is brutal.

I also have no idea how Law can not ever rank Madrigal inside of his top 100 or just missed yet put Kwan in his just missed column. Normally he isn't into the extreme contact zero power profile regardless of how productive the individual player actually is.

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ha I didn't notice the Xavier Edwards writeup until someone commented about it on twitter. :lolhitting  

Edwards has great feel to hit, can play above-average defense at second base, and even added third base to his skill set … but he just hasn’t been able to hit the ball hard enough to profile as more than a fringe regular yet, with exit velocities more in the 86-87 mph range. If you think Nick Madrigal was a top 100 prospect — I did not, for the record, and I stand by that — then Edwards would be one as well, because he hits the ball a bit harder than Madrigal does, and is younger, and a better defender at second. He’s a plus runner who hasn’t had great success on the bases, but the speed does make center field a possibility if he ever changes organizations.

Maybe Law has finally come to the correct (imo 🙂) conclusion that the all contact, minimal/zero power, average to plus base running and defense profile is significantly more valuable than he has given it credit for in the past. One of his my biggest gripes with him as an evaluator is him acting as if players with that skillset couldn't be productive or "impact" major leaguers when it's been shown consistently that they can be.

It seems odd for him to have an epiphany with Xavier Edwards and Steven Kwan (!!!) of all players though, lol. I remember Eric Longenhagen posted Steven Kwan's exit velo numbers in a FG chat and from what I recall they were actually worse than Madrigal's. He has 20 grade raw power/exit velo/max EV etc. I'm hoping KL goes into more detail about what's caused him to give these 2 players such positive writeups relative to similar prospects of years past.

3 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe Law has finally come to the correct (imo 🙂) conclusion that the all contact, minimal/zero power, average to plus base running and defense profile is significantly more valuable than he has given it credit for in the past. One of his my biggest gripes with him as an evaluator is him acting as if players with that skillset couldn't be productive or "impact" major leaguers when it's been shown consistently that they can be.

It seems odd for him to have an epiphany with Xavier Edwards and Steven Kwan (!!!) of all players though, lol. I remember Eric Longenhagen posted Steven Kwan's exit velo numbers in a FG chat and from what I recall they were actually worse than Madrigal's. He has 20 grade raw power/exit velo/max EV etc. I'm hoping KL goes into more detail about what's caused him to give these 2 players such positive writeups relative to similar prospects of years past.

FanGraphs/Logenhagen usually goes with the 90th percentile exit velo, but yeah I think it was mentioned that it was something like 102/103 for Kwan last year. Kwan also hit 12 HRs last year which is 8 more than Madrigal hit in his minor league career. Kwan's ISO was right around .200 in both AA and AAA last year and Madrigal's .120 last year in MLB was his highest at any level in pro ball.

Law does seem skeptical that Kwan can play CF though so I agree with the overall argument that high average, low power LF could be considered a borderline top 100 prospect and a similar player at 2B couldn't be.

11 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Law ranked Madrigal somewhere in the 100's also. He's been very consistent on his ranking of this type of player.  His stance (which I agree with 100%) is there is no path for this type of player to become a star because they lack what many consider the most important tool.  Power. Sure they "could" be productive or make an "impact" but it's low production and low impact and low impact players do not belong on a top 100 list. Top 100 lists are for players who have a chance to be stars or high impact players.  

12 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Not being able to turn a single non premium pick or cheaper international signing into a top 100 guy pretty much at any point since the rebuild began is brutal.

I also have no idea how Law can not ever rank Madrigal inside of his top 100 or just missed yet put Kwan in his just missed column. Normally he isn't into the extreme contact zero power profile regardless of how productive the individual player actually is.

It's coming.  I think we have a few guys in the system right now who are capable of having a huge impact this year, top of the list is Norge Vera.  I would also put Colas and Montgomery on that list.  I almost expect them to be top 100 at some point, if not soon.

While the Sox may be deserving of a last place ranking I love that the system is stacked with a lot of guys that can hit 96, 97, 98 on a gun. There's a lot of young guys with some big arms and if we hit on a few we won't care it was a last place ranked system. 

The beauty of baseball is a last ranked system with a middle ranked dude like Lambert still somehow finds a way to have a solid 10 year MLB career. We might be last, but for a last place system I feel surprisingly optimistic.

1 hour ago, mac9001 said:

While the Sox may be deserving of a last place ranking I love that the system is stacked with a lot of guys that can hit 96, 97, 98 on a gun. There's a lot of young guys with some big arms and if we hit on a few we won't care it was a last place ranked system. 

The beauty of baseball is a last ranked system with a middle ranked dude like Lambert still somehow finds a way to have a solid 10 year MLB career. We might be last, but for a last place system I feel surprisingly optimistic.

A frustrating thing about the system is that even the Sox version of Lambert is very underwhelming compared to most teams depth SP options. I hope that's an area they aggressively attack once the lockout is lifted.

Maybe this is too in the weeds, but Cleveland acquired Tobias Myers from the Rays for essentially nothing. He would have been an upgrade over Lambert/Stiever.

Edited by maxjusttyped

8 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

A frustrating thing about the system is that even the Sox version of Lambert is very underwhelming compared to most teams depth SP options. I hope that's an area they aggressively attack once the lockout is lifted.

Maybe this is too in the weeds, but Cleveland acquired Tobias Myers from the Rays for essentially nothing. He would have been an upgrade over Lambert/Stiever.

Speaking of Cleveland, one of their top pitching prospects is none other than Konnor Pilkington, who put up great numbers last year.  He is on their 40-man roster.  Can't remember who we got for him....

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:47 AM, oldsox said:

Speaking of Cleveland, one of their top pitching prospects is none other than Konnor Pilkington, who put up great numbers last year.  He is on their 40-man roster.  Can't remember who we got for him....

I really liked Pilkington and was bummed we traded him (then REALLY bummed when Hernandez sucked), but on whose list is he a top prospect? He's not on Law's Top 20 or Pipeline's Top 30.

• Like 1